What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

If this comes off would be pretty ridiculous. Still not 100 percent convinced it will happen though
There does seem to me some confusion over the whole James Roberts saga.
I read that he wants to play for the Broncos, but it would mean a pay cut as at the moment there is not the room in the salary cap for what he is getting at the Gold Coast.
Now it seems South Sydney have come into the equation to sign Roberts, but they have had to get rid of players to fit Sam Burgess into the Salary cap.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...as-rabbitohs-step-up-bid-20151219-glrl1q.html

goggles

Juniors
There does seem to me some confusion over the whole James Roberts saga.
I read that he wants to play for the Broncos, but it would mean a pay cut as at the moment there is not the room in the salary cap for what he is getting at the Gold Coast.
Now it seems South Sydney have come into the equation to sign Roberts, but they have had to get rid of players to fit Sam Burgess into the Salary cap.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...as-rabbitohs-step-up-bid-20151219-glrl1q.html
She'll be right cobber...the donkeys don't have a salary cap ;)

hellteam

First Grade
Confirmed

http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2015/12/23/new_centre_of_attent.html

THE NRMA Insurance Broncos today announce the signature of Dally M Centre of the Year James Roberts.

Roberts and the Broncos reached agreement overnight on a two-year contract that will bring him to the Brisbane club for the 2016 and 2017 seasons.

Roberts will report to training when the Broncos resume their 2016 pre-season on January 4, and shapes as an exciting replacement for retired captain Justin Hodges.

Broncos' chief executive Paul White said he felt the new arrangement would be a great fit for both the club and the player.

"We certainly did not expect this opportunity and James and his advisor have conducted themselves very well during the negotiation," he said.

"James is obviously motivated to play for the Broncos for the benefit he will see both on and off the field.

"The negotiations have certainly not been just about the contract value.

"James is one of the most exciting young players in the NRL and we believe playing in the Broncos' system can help take his game to the next level."

Roberts' advisor Jeremy Donovan said while the decision had taken some time, they were confident a move to the Broncos would be best for his personal development.

"This has been a long and exhausting process, but one that has supported James’ growth," said Donovan.

"He has had the opportunity to make a decision on his playing career and where he believes he will thrive not just as a player, but as a person.

"James has had the opportunity to consider what club and culture best fits him and his family.

"He is incredibly grateful for the respect each club has shown him during the course of this process, and is now focused on running out in the Brisbane Broncos' jersey next season."

Just 22 years of age, Roberts has scored 32 tries in just 52 NRL matches, including 16 in 24 games for the Gold Coast Titans last season.

goggles

Juniors
Snappy, Blaza88z,
thanks for the replies! To answer: no I don't think I'm awesome and I'm not attempting to be cool. I was merely stating a point of view (truth hurts?)...That is usually what one does in a forum ;)
By playing the man and ignoring the issue raised I'll bounce your questions back to you.
Congrats on the pick-up of Roberts by the way...

Rhyno

First Grade
Roberts is just a nathan Merritt clone all he does is fall over the try line.

He has awful defence and I can't wait for rd 1 seeing Taka run pass him

Dazzat

First Grade
Milford was clocked as the fastest man ever at the club last year. Surely Roberts will be pushing for that record now.

During this season, I truly believed we had the slowest backline in the league. With one player's signing that has all changed. Bring on 2016!

Ibleedblue

Juniors
Roberts is just a nathan Merritt clone all he does is fall over the try line.

He has awful defence and I can't wait for rd 1 seeing Taka run pass him

Roberts has more talent in his pinky then hack Merritt had in his whole body.

blaza88z

Coach
I came in here looking to read a few opinions of fellow Broncos supporters on our new signing, all I can see is salt

hellteam

First Grade
I actually feel at bit bad, we had one gap from our team last year and we
now have the Dally m centre of the year

Dazzat

First Grade
Finally some speed in the three quarters!

I do believe Leon Bott was our last 3/4 who was known for his speed first and foremost. Maybe Denan Kemp? Darren Lockyer when he was young was fast.

But Roberts is in a different class. He'd be the fastest player I've seen - ever.

Of course I'm not sure about his speed over 40 or 100 metres, but he just looks a cut above every player on the field when he gets the ball in hand.

The prospect of Roberts running off Milford/Hunt/Nikorima ... should be an awesome 2015 if we can keep those guys on the park.

DeeJ

Bench
Interesting signing. I guess when a player of his ability is available and willing you don't pass him up.

I was looking forward to seeing Copley back in the centers though. He's had a few unlucky seasons.

screeder

Juniors
Good signing you wouldn't pass him up. Copley had enough time to establish himself admittedly with some bad luck with injuries. Plenty of clubs will be glad to pick him up

Snappy

Coach
Snappy, Blaza88z,
thanks for the replies! To answer: no I don't think I'm awesome and I'm not attempting to be cool. I was merely stating a point of view (truth hurts?)...That is usually what one does in a forum ;)
By playing the man and ignoring the issue raised I'll bounce your questions back to you.
Congrats on the pick-up of Roberts by the way...

That's why we've lost all those titles for cheating the cap and been busted so many times... oh wait