What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos shopping Gillette and Nikorima to Dragons

goggles

Juniors
Won't happen as Nikorima is too quick and Gillette too skillful with an off load. Mary would coach this skill out of them and turn them into more stockpiled duds on big dollars. Too many points in this duo to be wasted playing the grind of Dragons Footy. Easier solution might be change our coach first, then these players would be great buys for the club.

This unfortunately. Until Dousty has another Bennett fall into his lap, we are stuck with what we've got.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So at the moment we are in the market for Coote, Nikorima and Gillette.

Who would they replace?

Gillette - Thompson. Thompson has been good for us this year, even with our barge mentality, keeping him on the field is the biggest worry.
Coote - Marshall. Move Widdop to 7 and Coote to 5/8. Would take a whole pre-season to get that combo right. Coote to fullback would push Duges back to the centre.....then there's the issue of Aitkin or lafai sd the other centre. Aitkin is a great player with tons of potential, but as a future long term centre, no, he's destined for lock position sooner than later.
Nikorima - ?. Is he a 7 or a 5/8?, and really if we spend money he just cant warm the bench.

Then what of our juniors......Host, Coster, Wallace, Sele etc. Signing big names is great, but you have to balance with our nursery as well

BrissyRedV

Bench
So at the moment we are in the market for Coote, Nikorima and Gillette.

Who would they replace?

Gillette - Thompson. Thompson has been good for us this year, even with our barge mentality, keeping him on the field is the biggest worry.
Coote - Marshall. Move Widdop to 7 and Coote to 5/8. Would take a whole pre-season to get that combo right. Coote to fullback would push Duges back to the centre.....then there's the issue of Aitkin or lafai sd the other centre. Aitkin is a great player with tons of potential, but as a future long term centre, no, he's destined for lock position sooner than later.
Nikorima - ?. Is he a 7 or a 5/8?, and really if we spend money he just cant warm the bench.

Then what of our juniors......Host, Coster, Wallace, Sele etc. Signing big names is great, but you have to balance with our nursery as well
Nikorima is a halfback with experience at the International level and is better than any halfback coming through our junior ranks currently.

kit66

Bench
I'd rather see Nikorima and Benji in the halves than Widdop and Nikorima.

and I'd take Gillett in a heartbeat, great player.

If these guys are available you can bet the Roosters and Doggies will be reaching for their cheque books.

If these guys are available you can bet the Roosters and Doggies will be reaching for their cheque books.

I'm sure they are all over it as we speak.
The Rorters already have the other Nikorima brother.
But then again the Dogs are the family club, they would sign both Nikorimas and Gillete and not raise a sweat in doing it.
Both clubs could then set their sights on Hayne.

willzy91

Juniors
I'd rather see Nikorima and Benji in the halves than Widdop and Nikorima.

and I'd take Gillett in a heartbeat, great player.

You can't have nikorima and benji together they are the same type of player, a player who plays of the cuff. You still need that more structured half there as well. Look at Brisbane as an example they have Ben Hunt with the more structure and Milford who plays mostly of the cuff. I'd definitely vote for Nikorima and Widdop. My Changes would be:

Nikorima for Marshall (he just hasn't got it anymore)
Gillett for Thompson (he isn't the player he used to be, even though he puts in every week)
Cherrington for Rein (let him go to the Titans!) - saves us plenty of coin too
Coote in at fullback - move Dugan to the centres pairing him with aitken (lafai clearly isn't the same player anymore post op)
I think both Nightingale and Creagh to retire at seasons end.

These moves would bring you this team:

1. Coote
2. Milne
3. Dugan
4. Aitken
5. Carr
6. Nikorima
7. Widdop
8. Packer
9. Cherrington
10. Masoe
11. Frizzell
12. Gillett
13. De Belin
14. McCrone
15. Cooper
16. Ah Mau
17. Mathews

That team boasts speed, size, mongrel, attacking quality, and offloads. Things we have been craving for a long time!

Mr Red

First Grade
Would love for the Dragons to sign Nikorima as a utility, whilst eventually transitioning into a full time halfback/hooker. Not to sure on signing Gillete as we have Thompson and Frizzell which are great players who would be on much less compared to what Gillette would be looking for.

thompson is getting 400k a season. we could easliy top that up with 100k and i think that would land us a significant upgrade in Gillette.

matPORTS

Juniors
Would love to see it happen, but it wont... we are just being used to up the offers which will come from other clubs.

mobels

Juniors
thompson is getting 400k a season. we could easliy top that up with 100k and i think that would land us a significant upgrade in Gillette.

The rumour going around is that Gillette is looking for $700-800k + from other clubs which in my opinion is way overs, would much prefer to save the $300k by re-signing Thompson, In order for us to sign a top level halfback or hooker.

Mr Red

First Grade
The rumour going around is that Gillette is looking for $700-800k + from other clubs which in my opinion is way overs, would much prefer to save the $300k by re-signing Thompson, In order for us to sign a top level halfback or hooker.

yeah i wouldn't be spending 800k for a back rower thats for sure...
if the rumours are correct i think he would struggle to find any club willing to pay that (unless the magic 3rd party payments come into play)
Hence it looks like only roosters or dogs if thats the case.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
We are no chance of signing coote, gillett and nikorima all together.

More realistically, we should at least be in the hunt to sign either nikorima, korisau, or cherrington with a decent contract and chance to start in FG. These guys are all bench players at their current clubs. With our finances unable to compete with the top teams, this is the only way to rebuild ATM. Either that or unearth somebody in the cutters.

If we say throw 500k at nikorima and a FG spot, surely the broncos can't top that? Are they going to pay 500k for a bench player? I know they have a bottomless pitt of money, but one thing they can't do is offer him a starting spot.

Stand by, we will probably hear the same rubbish about our cap being full like we did a few years ago, with Lafai and Mann being the new Farrell and Hunt.

inside_pass

Bench
We need a decent coach first!
With no fluency or attacking structures new signings won't make much of a difference.
In 2005-6 we virtually had the Nsw origin side at the Dragons but still struggled for consistency.If we had had a decent coach at the time we would have killed it.
You still need a good coach to direct the players,even if they're elite players.

possm

Coach
With no fluency or attacking structures new signings won't make much of a difference.
In 2005-6 we virtually had the Nsw origin side at the Dragons but still struggled for consistency.If we had had a decent coach at the time we would have killed it.
You still need a good coach to direct the players,even if they're elite players.

Top post, your right on the money. If as expeced we lose to the Broncos on Thurs, it will be 2 from 6. Put that together with the poor form in the secon half of last year and we have a very good reason to sack Mary and bring in a more experienced coach. Mary has failed in every way and should be shown the door.

Dragsters

First Grade
We are no chance of signing coote, gillett and nikorima all together.

More realistically, we should at least be in the hunt to sign either nikorima, korisau, or cherrington with a decent contract and chance to start in FG. These guys are all bench players at their current clubs. With our finances unable to compete with the top teams, this is the only way to rebuild ATM. Either that or unearth somebody in the cutters.

If we say throw 500k at nikorima and a FG spot, surely the broncos can't top that? Are they going to pay 500k for a bench player? I know they have a bottomless pitt of money, but one thing they can't do is offer him a starting spot.

Agree with All of this!

hazzbeen

Bench

Spot on .... We need outside influence no more ex players running the show. Again we are behind in all aspects , loss time under Price and now Mary trying to rebuild after 2010. We will need another 5 years to try and be a team that is feared by oppositions. Lets not waste the next few years....

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
But if we sign some decent cattle, and he still doesn't get results, doesn't it make it easier to sack Mary? No excuses then.

I have a feeling, Benji being the last of Price's signings, that Mary may still find an excuse or two about not having the squad he wants.

Either way, by trying to sign some decent players, we have set up the squad for success, whoever the coach may be in the future.