What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos shopping Gillette and Nikorima to Dragons

God-King Dean

Immortal
We need a decent coach first!
With no fluency or attacking structures new signings won't make much of a difference.

In 2005-6 we virtually had the Nsw origin side at the Dragons but still struggled for consistency.If we had had a decent coach at the time we would have killed it.
You still need a good coach to direct the players,even if they're elite players.

this this this

possm

Coach
But if we sign some decent cattle, and he still doesn't get results, doesn't it make it easier to sack Mary? No excuses then.

I have a feeling, Benji being the last of Price's signings, that Mary may still find an excuse or two about not having the squad he wants.

Either way, by trying to sign some decent players, we have set up the squad for success, whoever the coach may be in the future.

Each game the same failed game plans, same 17, same elementary mistakes and nearly all passes given under pressure. It's time; no more excuses. Sack Mary.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Each game the same failed game plans, same 17, same elementary mistakes and nearly all passes given under pressure. It's time; no more excuses. Sack Mary.

I agree, but it wont happen. It takes a long time, sometimes never, for people in power to admit they were wrong.
They wont sack him yet, even if we don't win another game this year. They will give him another off season and the first 6 rounds next year.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Did Mary recently sign a 3 year contact extension? I am sure I read this somewhere? Or where they thinking of offering him that?

dragonssamy61

First Grade
thompson is getting 400k a season. we could easliy top that up with 100k and i think that would land us a significant upgrade in Gillette.

Mr Red I agree but I have heard that gillette wants 800k. But if we could get kodi that would be great cheaper and younger.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Realistically we were never a chance... Bennett > McGregor... Picks itself really.

If we are saving 500k by letting go of benji, and throw this at Nikorima, a bench player, you're telling me he wont sign, and would rather stay to play under grandpa Bennett off the bench?
Come on if this doesn't happen, me thinks its audit time again for the Broncos. :sarcasm:

giboz71

First Grade
But if we sign some decent cattle, and he still doesn't get results, doesn't it make it easier to sack Mary? No excuses then.

I have a feeling, Benji being the last of Price's signings, that Mary may still find an excuse or two about not having the squad he wants.

Either way, by trying to sign some decent players, we have set up the squad for success, whoever the coach may be in the future.

Just for the record, Dugan, Widdop, Benji, Frizell and Thompson were all Steve Price signings.

And they are all universally regarded as our 5 best players.

getsmarty

Immortal
If we are saving 500k by letting go of benji, and throw this at Nikorima, a bench player, you're telling me he wont sign, and would rather stay to play under grandpa Bennett off the bench?
Come on if this doesn't happen, me thinks its audit time again for the Broncos. :sarcasm:

He would stay if they top up with third party....which is more than likely to happen..

Coffs dragon

Bench
We need a decent coach first!
With no fluency or attacking structures new signings won't make much of a difference.
In 2005-6 we virtually had the Nsw origin side at the Dragons but still struggled for consistency.If we had had a decent coach at the time we would have killed it.
You still need a good coach to direct the players,even if they're elite players.
So very true and you can forget all these BS rumours linking players to the RedV as we only get the off cuts. The mail around Manly claim that Lachlan Coote will be their 5/8 in 2017 with Bozo Fulton & Barrett having some pulling power to further develop his game. Our club cannot compete in developing players skill level under our old boys regime.

Mr Red

First Grade
So very true and you can forget all these BS rumours linking players to the RedV as we only get the off cuts. The mail around Manly claim that Lachlan Coote will be their 5/8 in 2017 with Bozo Fulton & Barrett having some pulling power to further develop his game. Our club cannot compete in developing players skill level under our old boys regime.

But didnt Lafai state he came to dragons to improve his game under previous rep center McGregor?
Cant you see the improvement already? :shock::shock:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
But didnt Lafai state he came to dragons to improve his game under previous rep center McGregor?
Cant you see the improvement already? :shock::shock:

Mr Red all though I agree with you do you think he's going to bag the coach in public.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Just for the record, Dugan, Widdop, Benji, Frizell and Thompson were all Steve Price signings.

And they are all universally regarded as our 5 best players.

Don't forget Farrell, Witt, Williams, Harrison, Miller, Beale, Drinkwater, possibly 7 of the worst.

I just have that image of benji sitting next to price when he signed, Price had a huge "benji is gonna save my coaching career" smile on his face.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Broncos coach Wayne Bennett has urged super-sub Kodi Nikorima to spend at least a further season at Brisbane and complete his first grade apprenticeship before entertaining big money offers from other NRL clubs lining up to lure him away.

The Broncos open Round 6 by hosting St George Illawarra at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday night with the Dragons having spent the week in Brisbane on the back of their 36-0 drubbing by the Cowboys last Saturday night.

James Roberts (hip flexor) and Jarrod Wallace (hamstring) were both given the all clear to take their place in the team for Brisbane although Roberts may need an injection into the affected area prior to kick-off.

Otherwise the team is the same that defeated the Titans on the Gold Coast last Friday night where Nikorima scored a brilliant try midway through the second half to stretch the Broncos' lead to 22-6.

A Test halfback with New Zealand over the off-season, Nikorima's 23 minutes against the Titans was down on his season average of 30.6 minutes per game but Bennett is adamant his long-term career will benefit from at least another season with the Broncos.

"It's not his time to leave yet," said Bennett, reiterating his desire to keep both Nikorima and Matt Gillett amid reports they have been targeted by the Dragons.

"If we can't find a place for him in 12 months or so then maybe it will be his time to leave but right now he's getting invaluable experience and growth in himself as a person and as a player and that will keep him in the game for the next decade.

"He has been good and one day he will be a starting player but different players, different roles in teams, different players that you're dealing with so he's just doing an apprenticeship at the moment," Bennett said.

"He's going to be a really good player in a year or two and that's the journey he's on right now.

"It's to be decided down the track where he might finish up playing but right now he is getting invaluable experience and time to be that good player that he can be.

"He's not being rushed. He's in a good team with a good culture so he's doing a lot of things right."

A fullback and half coming through the junior grades, Nikorima has started off the bench in all of his 25 NRL games to date and his younger brother Jayden joined the Roosters this year in recognition that the Broncos' 17 was going to be a tough team to crack.

It is Kodi's flexibility and ability to cover a number of positions that makes him such valued asset on the bench according to Bennett.

"They'll have to play multiple positions and play for long periods of time or short periods of time," Bennett said of the changing role of the 'super sub'.

"There are no guarantees with what you're going to need out there on match day so you've got to have some flexibility in your squad that you can handle that."

Coaching against the club he took to a premiership in 2010, Bennett is wary of a Dragons team that will be smarting from last week's disappointing showing against North Queensland and an attack that has yet failed to fire.

"They've had a couple of those bad losses but they've came back the next week and played pretty well," he said ahead of his 741st game as head coach.

"We've just got to be conscious of that and realise they're a quality footy team probably not playing with a lot of luck and maybe not playing as well as they want to play.

"They've got some really good players there so don't want them to gel [on Thursday] night if we can avoid it."

http://m.nrl.com/nikorima-not-yet-ready-says-bennett/tabid/10874/newsid/94579/default.aspx

For Bennett to come out like this into the media surely must mean Kodi is actually having serious thoughts about leaving the nest. Hopefully the reports are legit and it will be to us. Surely Kodi must see he has no chance of being the broncos first choice halfback.

Latest posts