What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos to establish Junior Academy in Logan City

Smiley

Bench
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/broncos-announce-65million-junior-development-in-logan-city/story-e6frfgbo-1226642892495

Broncos announce $6.5million junior development in Logan City

THE Brisbane Broncos have taken a giant step to locking in one of Australia's best rugby league nurseries with the establishment of a junior academy in Logan City.

Logan junior clubs have produced many current NRL stars, including Test skipper Cameron Smith, Broncos Corey Parker and Alex Glenn, Cowboy Antonio Winterstein and Raider Josh Papalli.

Brisbane chief executive Paul White has announced a major development in conjunction with the Logan City Council.

A $6.5 million development in Logan to construct football fields and junior clubhouses was announced this morning with strong links to the Broncos.

It is the first time the Broncos have had such a strong connection to a junior rugby league base and the NRL powerhouse will run the majority of their junior programs from the Waterford West location.

Previously, the Broncos ran a junior elite player academy from their Red Hill training base in Brisbane.

Now they have access to a state-of-the-art facility which the Broncos will need to outfit themselves in a partnership that opens the door to some of the best talent in Queensland.

Essentially, the Broncos now have a major connection with a section south east Queensland previously considered a stranglehold for the likes of Canberra and Melbourne.

The new site is less than 1km from Marsden State high school, one of the strongest rugby league nurseries in Queensland.

"This is massive for our club," White said.

"This will assist us to run our satellite elite player development academy."

http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/about-council/news-and-publications/media-releases/media-releases/vl-news/nrma-insurance-broncos-and-logan-city-council-announce-junior-high-performance-centre

NRMA Insurance Broncos & Logan City Council Announce Junior High Performance Centre

The Brisbane Broncos and Logan City Council have teamed up to establish a high performance junior rugby league centre in Logan City.

The joint announcement was made today by Logan Mayor Pam Parker and Broncos CEO Paul White on the vacant site of the development (near Marsden State High School) of a sports park where the academy will operate its city-wide program.

The Logan Broncos Junior Rugby League Academy will have access to three top quality rugby league fields, space to create a purpose-built gym and fitness facility, plus suitable office space for their full-time Elite Player Development Officer and support staff.

http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/127695/Concept-Plan.pdf - Concept Plan

Smiley

Bench
Do any other clubs do something like this? I remember reading earlier this year that Penrith had plans to doing something like this around Centrebet Stadium.

Raider_69

Post Whore
This could be bad news for the Raiders, we pull a lot of talent kids through our connection with Souths Logan... Papalii, Milford, Brenko and Edrick Lee.
Raiders need to step up their commitment to ensure we keep getting these kids through our system

Kiwi

First Grade
Unless the Raiders do something similar they'll struggle to keep pulling the players from the area. The local schools will align with this because they will get so much out of it themselves.

I would not be suprised to see more things like this pop up around Brisbane as the Broncos look to retake lost ground on with regards to the south easts talent. Not many clubs if any can afford to invest the dollars the Broncos can through at stuff like this.

blaza88z

Coach
The problem I have and it really really really annoys me

clubs do the legwork developing the kids then when they hit the top grade, contracts come from everywhere and they're lost to the club despite all of the investments made by the club in the first place to get them there

people won't understand it but the reason I just pointed out is why Melbourne cheated the cap, they didn't go out and buy a comp, they developed all their own players to get to where they were

blaza88z

Coach
so basically what I am saying is clubs can develop 80 if these talent centres, fact is.. when they're good enough to play at the top level, they will get poached

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wasn't his a region both the WC and brothers bids had targeted as part of the area for a new Brisbane team? Wonder what the sudden motivation is for Broncos,hmmmm?

Perth Red

Post Whore
so basically what I am saying is clubs can develop 80 if these talent centres, fact is.. when they're good enough to play at the top level, they will get poached

As long as all clubs are putting n and developing Jnr's what's it matter? Some of the NRL grant should be ring fenced so all clubs are spending a min on jnr development.

applesauce

Bench
Wasn't his a region both the WC and brothers bids had targeted as part of the area for a new Brisbane team? Wonder what the sudden motivation is for Broncos,hmmmm?

More reason for a 2nd SE QLD team based in/around Brisbane. Force the Broncos hand in regards to junior development, memberships and the hearts and minds of fans they take for granted.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Broncos clearly doing this to stamp the areas as theirs. To encourage people to back them and to not support any of the bids.

Smart strategy on their part.

And beyond just that motivation the Broncos do need to do more to identify the best talent in their own backyard. They've been robbed by clubs with better scouts for quite a while now.

aussie_q_factor

Juniors

Exactly my thoughts. Rest assured, the Broncos will be going hard to consolidate any SE Qld League nurseries they can over the coming years to make life hard for any new teams that may threaten their turf.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Not many clubs if any can afford to invest the dollars the Broncos can through at stuff like this.

Thankfully for us the Raiders are one of few clubs who can and already have some serious roots in the area. Which gives us a fighting chance if we want to take up the fight.

flamin

Juniors
some11 I think most people here are saying its a smart move from the Broncos and in fact something they should have done years ago. All the more reason for a 2nd Brisbane team to push the Broncos, not just for juniors but also memberships, sponsors etc.