What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brookvale Oval holds only 13,000?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I do think that the nrl needs to be flexible with this issue. As above let Sydney teams play out of town teams at suburban grounds if they nominate to do so. However all Sydney clashes should always be at Allianz/ANZ. One good development will be the upgrade of parramatta stadium to 30k capacity this can be another option on top of the big two grounds for all Sydney clashes where the away team is deemed to have an unfair advantage. I.e manly v souths presents an unfair advantage for the bunnies at anz or Allianz

As many have pointed out manly fans traveled to the sfs in numbers in the past so what is different that in the past few years. Also many people travel cross Harbour to swans games week in week out so it can't be that hard

Last edited:

Saint Doc

Coach
Surely the solution is obvious.

Manly/Penrith Vs another sydney club is played at a ground that can hold both sets of fans (SFS & ANZ). Manly/Penrith Vs an out of town team play at their suburban home ground.

I understand why the rule was brought in a few years ago, but the NRL needs to show a bit of discretion when making calls as to what grounds are used for finals games.

The exceptions I would be happy to make:

Manly vs low drawing team: Bluetongue

Penrith vs low drawing team: Parramatta Stadium

Everyone else: SFS or Allianz

Saves a few embarrassing crowds, all seater stadiums still, but no unfair suburban shithole home advantage that is denied to other clubs

nomis88

Juniors
Remember, Manly's crowds are always more quality than quantity. People that can read and that have both jobs and teeth.

Diesel

Referee
I don't see what the issue is with games played at SFS or ANZ, back in the day all finals were played at the SFS until 94 so it's not like playing Sydney finals at the big stadiums is something new, even in 95/96 games were played at neutral venues like Parra or Lang Park regardless who was playing there

MaxPower

Juniors
The victim mentality has pervaded rugby league. From the field to the lounge room, this game has gone soft.

Parra

Referee
Im sick of people judging suburban grounds , if the fans and the club like a shit hole and turn up in preference to attending the so called great stadiums then who cares.

Exactly. TV pays the bills anyway. Let the clubs play where they want to play.

no name

Coach
Again, Manly is a part of Sydney. The game is in Sydney. If Manly fans want to they can make the once a year effort to go and watch their team play in a final in their home city.

Manly usually play more than one semi a year.
I think it should go back to the week 1 home ground, week 2 regional thing they had going a few years back.

Remember, Manly's crowds are always more quality than quantity. People that can read and that have both jobs and teeth.

Pfft. People from Manly can't spell 'jobs' or 'teeth'.
While everyone else was getting an education Manly folk were at the beach.

Brookvale oval is suitable for a pub sport not a professional one. Any rational sport fan would see brookvale unsuitable for any professional sport. No other professional sport has suburban grounds with hills as one of its main grounds for a top tier competition.

Suitman

Post Whore
Umm because it is supposed to be a Manly home game, because they finished ahead of Souffs.

If the team and manly's fans are happy to play at Brookvale, I don't see why it shouldn't

And the Souffs fans can get stuffed, their team is the away side, they will get a home game in week 2 or 3 anyway

Well then, make it a f**king home game and get your shit fans to turn up and outnumber the "away" fans.
Oh that's right, there's something stopping that happening. The Harbour Bridge.

Suity

Parra

Referee
Well then, make it a f**king home game and get your shit fans to turn up and outnumber the "away" fans.
Oh that's right, there's something stopping that happening. The Harbour Bridge.

Suity

Let's just play soccer and forget about all that silly Sydney tribalism. The reason Manly fans can't be f**ked crossing the bridge. The reason Eels fans hate Manly. The reason everyone with a thought hates the dogs.

Tribalism is what makes league in Sydney great. It is what made QLD'ers abandon their own comp and come begging for a slot in the NSWRL comp. It is what made NZ'ers ignore the game at home and fly over here just to get smashed by the great clubs, it is what makes Melbourne so desperate that they cheat to try and get some touch of glory.

Lose that, and we may as well follow soccer or whatever the rent-a-crowd decide to follow next week.

Until that day comes Manly fans should stand up for themselves along with any other fans.

Suitman

Post Whore
Let's just play soccer and forget about all that silly Sydney tribalism. The reason Manly fans can't be f**ked crossing the bridge. The reason Eels fans hate Manly. The reason everyone with a thought hates the dogs.

Tribalism is what makes league in Sydney great. It is what made QLD'ers abandon their own comp and come begging for a slot in the NSWRL comp. It is what made NZ'ers ignore the game at home and fly over here just to get smashed by the great clubs, it is what makes Melbourne so desperate that they cheat to try and get some touch of glory.

Lose that, and we may as well follow soccer or whatever the rent-a-crowd decide to follow next week.

Until that day comes Manly fans should stand up for themselves along with any other fans.

Huh? I would have thought tribalism meant following your team no matter where they play? :roll:
Manly are having a sook because there might be more Souths fans turn up to a game they are playing in. They can easily do something about that. That is, if they were truly tribal.
I reckon Souths fans are tribal. Manly fans are fickle.

Suity

Perth Red

Post Whore

Tribalism is a myth. How many of these tribal games have struggled to top 15k at them this year? Reality is there are some Sydney clubs with big fan bases and some with small. When one of these big rival games struggles to get 14k you can put the whole tribalism BS in the bin.

Brookvale oval is suitable for a pub sport not a professional one. Any rational sport fan would see brookvale unsuitable for any professional sport. No other professional sport has suburban grounds with hills as one of its main grounds for a top tier competition.

1300Smiles has a hill. Where should the Cowboys play if they can't play at a ground with a hill.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cowboys are the only club that could justify a hill with the climate they have. Having said that they are campaigning for an all seater stadium in the future.

t-ba

Post Whore
Cowboys are the only club that could justify a hill with the climate they have. Having said that they are campaigning for an all seater stadium in the future.

WTF?

Hills are wonderful on an afternoon.

I've heard it all now in terms of justification. The Cowboys can have because of the weather. How about the fact the hill is probably half a foot deep in monsoonal rains until late April...

Better tell Dortmund to tear down that terrace since it gets cold in the German winter :roll:

Rodney

Juniors
The difference between the top 4 is minute, especially this year.
Change up the draw and Souths could easily have nabbed 2nd and Manly sat in 3rd. Since they both play very different seasons I can't really go along with the argument that manly have 'earned' a home semi.
If souths played the Sharks twice instead of the Roosters they probably would've taken 2nd. The draw screws with the placings dramatically.
While the top 4 deserve immunity for the first week, I don't think the minor difference between 2nd and 3rd warrants a home ground semi.
Especially with one games difference between 4th and 1st its very hard to argue that Manly or even the Roosters necessarily deserve home ground advantage against Souths or the Panthers.

Latest posts