What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brookvale Oval holds only 13,000?

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
The difference between the top 4 is minute, especially this year.
Change up the draw and Souths could easily have nabbed 2nd and Manly sat in 3rd. Since they both play very different seasons I can't really go along with the argument that manly have 'earned' a home semi.
If souths played the Sharks twice instead of the Roosters they probably would've taken 2nd. The draw screws with the placings dramatically.
While the top 4 deserve immunity for the first week, I don't think the minor difference between 2nd and 3rd warrants a home ground semi.
Especially with one games difference between 4th and 1st its very hard to argue that Manly or even the Roosters necessarily deserve home ground advantage against Souths or the Panthers.

Manly played more top 8 teams than any other team this year.

carcharias

Immortal
Cowboys are the only club that could justify a hill with the climate they have. Having said that they are campaigning for an all seater stadium in the future.

That's it people
You cannot watch footy from a hill in cooler weather.

Parra

Referee
Tribalism is a myth. How many of these tribal games have struggled to top 15k at them this year? Reality is there are some Sydney clubs with big fan bases and some with small. When one of these big rival games struggles to get 14k you can put the whole tribalism BS in the bin.

Crowd fanciers are the anoraks of the league world. No-one else cares how many turn up.

Jason Maher

Immortal
If the Cowboys, Canberra, and the Warriors can host finals in their glorified suburban grounds, Sydney teams should be able to host finals in theirs, else we have a double standard.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
If the Cowboys, Canberra, and the Warriors can host finals in their glorified suburban grounds, Sydney teams should be able to host finals in theirs, else we have a double standard.

Nz would probably play at Eden park, best stadium in country

Canberra would play at best stadium in territory

Cowboys would play at best stadium within 1000km

Manly fans all used yo travel basically since 1950 to cbd area for a game in finals

Why the sudden blow up ?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

Good one Jason :thumb

As I've said before, last time I looked Manly, Cronulla, St George, Penrith, Canterbury, Souths, Roosters, Tigers and parramatta are in Sydney. Which is the exact same city where the SFS and ANZ stadium are located. If Sydneysiders aren't willing to travel a few extra kilometres than tough shit.

I don't see what the issue is with games played at SFS or ANZ, back in the day all finals were played at the SFS until 94 so it's not like playing Sydney finals at the big stadiums is something new, even in 95/96 games were played at neutral venues like Parra or Lang Park regardless who was playing there

1994? What are you talking about? In 1994, all the finals games were played at the SFS. None were played anywhere else that year.

It was 1995 when Norths played Newcastle at Parramatta Stadium and Canberra Played Brisbane at Lang Park in the First week of the finals. All other games were at the SFS. Interesting to note both Canberra (2nd) and Newcastle (5th) finished higher on the ladder than Brisbane (3rd) or Norths (8th). This pattern repeated itself in 1996 and 1997 where week 1 finals games were played away from the SFS, but it was not until 1998 where home finals came in as the norm.

Billythekid

First Grade
Cowboys are the only club that could justify a hill with the climate they have. Having said that they are campaigning for an all seater stadium in the future.

The knights stadium is perfect as it is imo. I don't see the problem, it has a good capacity, plenty of seats if that's what you want but still caters to fans who like the hill. So long as you cater to corporates as well it's a win/win. When the stadium is reasonably full it looks spectacular on tv as well.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
AlthoughtI'd love to see the game tonight at Brookvale I understand the NRL's reasons for moving the game to a bigger stadium. If they know the crowd numbers will exceed the suburban ground then fair cop, move it.

My gripe is when the game is going to be played in front of less than 20,000 (ie playing an out of town team).

Why the hell not play it at the home ground of whichever club it is? There will be the same crowd numbers (if not more) and it looks a hell of a lot better having a packed ground as opposed to a half or quarter full stadium with no atmosphere.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Good one Jason :thumb

As I've said before, last time I looked Manly, Cronulla, St George, Penrith, Canterbury, Souths, Roosters, Tigers and parramatta are in Sydney. Which is the exact same city where the SFS and ANZ stadium are located. If Sydneysiders aren't willing to travel a few extra kilometres than tough shit.

That's utter bullshit - Sydney isn't exactly a small area and "a few extra kilometres" is a MASSIVE understatement - Sydney is a lot bigger than Canberra mate and takes a lot longer than 30 mins to go from one side to the other.

de$$ie

Juniors
How long until some drunk idiot stacks it on the hill at Brookvale

Every game I've ever been to someone has stacked it. I assume this has been going on since day dot so it's not really a big issue (until you make it one, amirite?)

A lot of upset fans letting out their frustration on Manly it seems. Apart from about 3 other clubs, your teams are the real embarrassment to rugby league lmfao.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
You can not hold finals at a pigsty.
Other codes are already pushing us out of Sydney's major stadiums.

The best senerio for the NRL is for Manly to not make the top 8. We have had 10 years now of Manly selling dud wingers to other clubs while keeping all their superstars.

Time for the NRL to start spending some talent, time and money on the Titans, Raiders and Warriors, clubs that struggle to find decent players.

They never helped Brisbane replace Lockyer, they will probably allow the cows to hit the wall when Thurston retires, and the same will probably happen to the Storm.
In the meantime Manly have two internationals in their halves, the Roosters are not happy with just two, they also want Hastings as well, probably so other clubs cant buy him.
This code is a joke.

Here's the exit f*ck knuckle.

Feel free to use it and close the door on your way out.

You are THE dumbest prick on these forums by the length of the straight. Even BM offers the occasional decent opinion. You are just brain dead.

10792454-open-door-into-exit-egress-with-sign-exit-above.jpg

Nice Beaver

First Grade
How long until some drunk idiot stacks it on the hill at Brookvale and it's deemed a safety risk? Or worse, sues Manly for millions?

Are you being serious?

People don't go arse up falling over stairs or seats in "stadiums"??

Bugger me, draw the bow a bit longer.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
That's utter bullshit - Sydney isn't exactly a small area and "a few extra kilometres" is a MASSIVE understatement - Sydney is a lot bigger than Canberra mate and takes a lot longer than 30 mins to go from one side to the other.

It's a once a year event. I'm sure Fans can make the trip once a year to see their team in finals action. It's 18km from Manly to the SFS. 42km from Penrith to ANZ stadium.

You're not being asked to trek across the desert in a loin cloth carrying your worldly possessions on your back.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's it people
You cannot watch footy from a hill in cooler weather.
Your finally understanding! hence why rain affected games at grounds with hills see sub 10k regularly. Reality is the majority of games are now played at night, alot of afternoon games are rain affected and hills are no longer seen to be acceptable places to watch top flight RL by the majority of fans. Any coincidence the smallest crowds are at suburban grounds with hills?
If we could guarantee nice sunny sunday afternoons for every hill ground then they might work, but we cant and they dont. NSW cup if your so attached, plenty of hills to stand at and watch a game and wont cost you $30 for the privallage.

Perth Red

Post Whore
WTF?

Better tell Dortmund to tear down that terrace since it gets cold in the German winter :roll:

your comparing this stadium to Brookvale? lol. Nothing wrong with a decent terrace with a roof, still get good viewing, standing generates a better atmosphere, you stay dry in the rain, is safe and you can have a bigger capacity. A decent proper terraced stand and a grass hill at Brookvale are as far apart as leichardt and suncorp stadium.

I hope they keep the shed end at nib and redevelop it as a full undercover standing terrace but alas the plans are to replace it with all seating.

978_Signal_Iduna_Park_Interior.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are you being serious?

People don't go arse up falling over stairs or seats in "stadiums"??

Bugger me, draw the bow a bit longer.

Have to say the new stand at nib is incredibly steep which is great as puts you on top of the pitch even at the back but climbing up there made me think if I tumbled I would be a gonner as you would fall down the steps for a significant distance and height. Keeps you off the turps though!

de$$ie

Juniors
your comparing this stadium to Brookvale? lol. Nothing wrong with a decent terrace with a roof, still get good viewing, standing generates a better atmosphere, you stay dry in the rain, is safe and you can have a bigger capacity. A decent proper terraced stand and a grass hill at Brookvale are as far apart as leichardt and suncorp stadium.

I hope they keep the shed end at nib and redevelop it as a full undercover standing terrace but alas the plans are to replace it with all seating.

978_Signal_Iduna_Park_Interior.jpg

Why do you have to derail everything, and I mean f**king everything into Pirates and nab stadium discussion. We're talking about Brookvale, not some team that may or may not come into the competition some years down the track.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I was trying to bring some positivity into a generally depressing thread about the quality of Manly's shthole. Apologies I'll stick to how sht Brookvale is!

ps it is a currently used stadium for NRL and has a terrace hence the relevance. I'll draw you a picture in crayons so it is clearer for you next time!

de$$ie

Juniors
I was trying to bring some positivity into a generally depressing thread about the quality of Manly's shthole. Apologies I'll stick to how sht Brookvale is!

ps it is a currently used stadium for NRL and has a terrace hence the relevance. I'll draw you a picture in crayons so it is clearer for you next time!

Cool, maybe you can do that while I watch my team play in the NRL finals tonight?

Latest posts