What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brookvale Oval holds only 13,000?

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Seriously I can't believe how stupid people are to believe something Kent says. Anyone with half a brain can see capacity is much higher than 13K.

The hill at Brookvale is f**king huge. Hills hold far more people than grandstands. Capacity is easily 20K.

Kent is full of shit as usual.

eozsmiles

Bench
Don't know what they're bitching about. Last time we played a final against Manly at Brookvale, Souths fans outnumbered Manly fans anyway...

I think part of the bitch is that the regional venue policy is meant to aid fans of the teams involved get to the game, while not giving an advantage to the team finishing lower on the ladder. And the way it is designed makes it a complete lottery to see if it ends up that way since there is no guarantee a regional team will qualify, plus we have a couple of Sydney based teams a fair way from the big grounds. The system seems a bit flawed when Canterbury or Souths or Roosters could finish 8th and get a home final at Homebush or SFS.

firechild

First Grade
This thread is about a match featuring another metropolitan team. My post is about a game featuring another metropolitan team. The bit you've quoted has me mentioning matches featuring another metropolitan team.

Learn to comprehend.

It's completely irrelevant since the NRL's policy does not discriminate regardless of opposition.

The double header I mentioned featured Manly, Cronulla and the Roosters yet managed to sell less tickets than if the Roosters and Sharks had held independent matches.

eozsmiles

Bench
TBH instead of changing the stadium policy to benefit a piece of shit tiny little club so they don't look pathetic in the SFS

They should just kick manly out of the comp ffs. Then the finals would be between other sides who are undoubtedly more likely to travel and have more fans.

Not a bad idea, but the vast majority of fans from all clubs would probably still prefer the finals to be a competition between the best performed teams of the season, in comparison to some kind of popularity contest related to their willingness to buy a train ticket or the proximity of their home to a major sporting complex.

Timbo

Staff member
This can only get worse for Manly. Building a couple of hundred seats here and there will not really solve the problem. Likewise, putting seats on the hill will actually reduce the capacity of the ground - look at Parra, when they put seats at either end of the ground, the capacity dropped from 24,000 to 20,000 as it eliminates standing room.

And, as OHS get stricter, the problem can only get worse. I had a look at record crowds for suburban grounds on Austadiums.com and it really is telling how OHS and individual seating can cause crowds to drop. The only real example of a rugby league ground I could find was Henson Park:

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=144

Record crowd 40,000! Can you imagine 40,000 in Henson today? It'd be flat out with 10,000!

Likewise these three AFL grounds from before they rationalized their grounds:

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=93

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=140

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=56

Those grounds ALL have record crowds in the region of 45,000 but now (and admittedly they've been downsized) have maximum capacities of 10,000 or less. Even in their old configurations they would not be legally able to hold 20,000.

How long until some drunk idiot stacks it on the hill at Brookvale and it's deemed a safety risk? Or worse, sues Manly for millions?

Hutty1986

Immortal
This whole "they should have played it at Brookvale" argument is a completely valid one, its absolute horseshit that great grounds like Brookie & Kogarah can't host finals anymore. You finish in the top 4, you deserve every home ground advantage you can get.

The real issue is the pissweak manly crowds elsewhere, they are beyond embarrassing-especially because the Eagles are the most dominant side of the past decade

broncos2010

Juniors
Im sick of people judging suburban grounds , if the fans and the club like a shit hole and turn up in preference to attending the so called great stadiums then who cares.

Don't be selfish look for what is good for the game and the major games of the code should be played at some run down oval in manly that needs a serious make up.

Manly fans need to understand that its not that hard to get on a bus or drive down to ANZ or Allianz and support their team not complain every year.

souths1908

Juniors
Surely the solution is obvious.

Manly/Penrith Vs another sydney club is played at a ground that can hold both sets of fans (SFS & ANZ). Manly/Penrith Vs an out of town team play at their suburban home ground.

I understand why the rule was brought in a few years ago, but the NRL needs to show a bit of discretion when making calls as to what grounds are used for finals games.

Brutus

Referee
Manly fans used to travel in huge numbers to the SFS for finals games in the 90's. Even against out of town teams.

Seriously I can't believe how stupid people are to believe something Kent says. Anyone with half a brain can see capacity is much higher than 13K.

The hill at Brookvale is f**king huge. Hills hold far more people than grandstands. Capacity is easily 20K.

Kent is full of shit as usual.

That used to be the case, but now people are so fat only 13k can fit in. I blame KFC and their sponsorship of the video ref.

carcharias

Immortal
I reckon a heaving Brookie finals match looks about
50 millions times better on TV than a half empty echo chamber with no atmosphere.

souths_pride

Juniors
Surely the solution is obvious.

Manly/Penrith Vs another sydney club is played at a ground that can hold both sets of fans (SFS & ANZ). Manly/Penrith Vs an out of town team play at their suburban home ground.

I understand why the rule was brought in a few years ago, but the NRL needs to show a bit of discretion when making calls as to what grounds are used for finals games.

The problem with that is what if that Manly/Penrith vs an out of town club still attracts more than the capacity of Brookvale, Penrith, Parra Stadium etc? The problem is not so much the home ground advantage as it is fans getting locked out of NRL games. I actually think if the game is sold out, then its just bad luck! Unfortunately, the NRL feels that sort of logic gives the game a black eye and as a result could lose fans to rival codes. Also, the NRL has introduced these new rules not based on logic or common sense but so they can say "well at least its fair for everyone!".

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I reckon a heaving Brookie finals match looks about
50 millions times better on TV than a half empty echo chamber with no atmosphere.

The thing with finals is that there are two sides playing. You need a stadium that can accommodate 2 sets of fans in comfort not just one side's fans.

The fact is Brookvale isn't up to a finals game standard whether they finished first, second or eighth.

And last time I looked Manly was a part of Sydney, the game is bring played in Sydney therefore it's a f**king home final. The fact it isn't where they want to play it is inconsequential as I said above - because Brookvale is not up to standard.

carcharias

Immortal
Pffft
Should be home ground advantage

That's the prize for working your arse off all year.

Bet if redfern was still going and the rabbits had the advantage they'd be more than happy to host.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Again, Manly is a part of Sydney. The game is in Sydney. If Manly fans want to they can make the once a year effort to go and watch their team play in a final in their home city.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Where does this 13KM rubbish come from? It is over 20KM to Allianz from Brookie. Why schedule it for Friday and bitch that Manly fans are not happy?

Capacity isn't an issue for other teams. NQLD is 26K, Canberra is 25K, Skilled is 25K... If it isn't a capacity issue, lets move these games to Blue Tongue then.

What are the requirements for a stadium to be 'worthy'?

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
The thing with finals is that there are two sides playing. You need a stadium that can accommodate 2 sets of fans in comfort not just one side's fans.

The fact is Brookvale isn't up to a finals game standard whether they finished first, second or eighth.

And last time I looked Manly was a part of Sydney, the game is bring played in Sydney therefore it's a f**king home final. The fact it isn't where they want to play it is inconsequential as I said above - because Brookvale is not up to standard.
I call BS on that claim. Skilled at capacity is less than the average crowd in Brisbane. So Brisbane would fill the joint easily for a club game if the demand was there. And the travel time is the not much different between Brisbane and Skilled, as what it will be for Manly fans to Allianz. Both journeys via public transport of course.

Latest posts