What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brown blasts his 'look pretty' Dragons

Russo

Juniors
Brown blasts his 'look pretty' Dragons
By Todd Balym
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=289581

St George Illawarra coach Nathan Brown launched a scathing attack on his team, accusing the players of trying to "look pretty" instead of playing committed football in the worst performance in his time at the club.
The Dragons suffered a 24-16 loss to the Wests Tigers at Sydney Football Stadium, Brown livid his side failed to apply any pressure to a team which lost its star playmaker in Benji Marshall after just three minutes.
The insipid performance will add to the pressure on Brown, who is off contract this year and needs rapid results or will be seeking employment elsewhere.
The Dragons trailed 18-4 after just 26 minutes, Brown labelling the start the worst he has been involved in 17 years with the club.
He won't publicly name the offending players but says he'll make big changes for next week's clash with Gold Coast at WIN Stadium.
"As a whole performance I have never been as disappointed in some people at the club since I've been coaching and even playing to be honest in my time," said Brown, who played with the Dragons from 1992-2001 before taking over as coach in 2003.
"It was disgraceful ... to start games like that is showing no respect to your teammates and no respect to your opposition.
"They waited for us to do what we've done in the past. Just stick with us and they'll make errors and we'll get field position and eventually we'll wear them down.
"We've got Gaz (Mark Gasnier) and Coops (Matt Cooper) out wide but we may as well be firing blanks rather than have good bullets out there.
"(The Tigers) thought process to the game is just so different to ours. Ours is `how can we get out there and look pretty and score a try'.
"The Tigers is `let's work hard, build some pressure and away we go'."
Brown says recruits to his club have told him other NRL clubs perceive the Dragons as unable to sustain pressure.
He believes it's been the club's problem ever since the merger in 1999.
With his coaching future on the line, Brown has made it his goal to turn the club around and not let his own future affect the direction he's trying to take the team.
"We're going to change it (that perception). That's the reality. We have to change it," said Brown.
"It's not about Nathan Brown ... apparently I've been under pressure for five years.
"Regardless of what is said about Nathan Brown it's not going to make me vary on what we've set out to do and not make me vary from making some hard decisions."
Dragons skipper Mark Gasnier said the coach has the full support of the playing group but couldn't explain the performance.
"You don't really know why people do things sometimes in football," he said.
"The players want to win the comp. Obviously we love Nathan's game plans and we showed it no respect today in what we set out to do.
"Whether that's the wake up call ... the proof will be in next week."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=289754

BPS

Juniors
If it takes players from other clubs to make you realise that other clubs don't respect that the Dragons can't build pressure, you have to ask where have you been for the past 5 years

glory79

Juniors
Cant believe its taken him 5 years to realise that other sides see us as unable to last 80 minutes. Thats why he will be sacked sooner rather than later.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
When Marshall left the field I didn't bat an eyelid. The loss has nothing to do with that and to even attempt to use it as guilt leverage will get us nowhere.

Dave Q

Coach
In his defence, Gasnier admitted that the players abandoned the game-plan but I suppose the role of the coach is to be able to get the message through for the full 80 ( or most of it)

Otherwise its easy to compare his words to the fabled face-slap on Santa. Different medium, same message: ie players fault not mine.

Like all excuses, it has a use-by date.

Whether another coach could get through to the players can only be determined by an actual sacking.

It may be that under new coach, the dragons will get thrashed every week and despite his evident shortcomings, Brown is quite a good coach.

Do you roll the die?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dave Q said:
In his defence, Gasnier admitted that the players abandoned the game-plan
No kidding? Dave, you have a somewhat painful ability to state the obvious. I can see that TV talks to you well.

I saw that in the first 10 minutes. One can only wonder what the actual game plan was.... and why the players chose to lose faith in it so soon after kick off.

gregstar

Referee
dave - fetch a postage stamp.

tear it in half.

now grab some scissors.

cut one half into two pieces but make sure that one piece is larger than the other.

that smaller stamp fragment knows more about rugby league than you.

p*ss off.

Dave Q

Coach
Willow said:
No kidding? Dave, you have a somewhat painful ability to state the obvious. I can see that TV talks to you well.

I saw that in the first 10 minutes. One can only wonder what the actual game plan was.... and why the players chose to lose faith in it so soon after kick off.

What TV?!

Well theres a good question for you and the LU journo's to chase up Willow.

Gasnier:

"Obviously we love Nathan's game plans and we showed it no respect today in what we set out to do"

I think that a game plan is exactly what one sets out to do, so this is a bit cryptic.

So I cut through the post match footy lingo and interpreted Gaz as follows:

"We didnt do what our coach wanted us to do."

And in that he explains the loss. Thus according to Gaz, its not Brown, its the players who are responsible.

And a popular opinion on this thread submits that its Brown's fault.

My suggestion is that it may not be Brown's fault at all and Gasniers explanation may be correct. My suggestion is that Brown may not be the reason for SGI's woes.

If Gaz had said:

"Yeah we followed Brown's game plan to the letter"

Then I would more readily be of the view that Browny was indeed at fault on this occasion and that lends itself to the proposition that his expiry date is approaching more quickly than otherwise envisaged.

Your suggestion of players having a choice was very interesting Willow. Maybe some of them didnt have the ability to follow the game plan? That throws a spanner into the works.

Maybe after a game, those nominated for not following the plan could do a questionaire about their performance and with enough data maybe a common theme could be identfied that is possibly leading them to distraction. Once recognised, it might be able to be neutralised or varied.

Dave Q

Coach
gregstar said:
dave - fetch a postage stamp.

tear it in half.

now grab some scissors.

cut one half into two pieces but make sure that one piece is larger than the other.

that smaller stamp fragment knows more about rugby league than you.

p*ss off.

I cant find a stamp greggles.

The Preacher

First Grade
Fall on your sword Browny, the players seem to respect you about as much as the opposition respects our chances of playing well for a full 80 minutes.

Slackboy72

Coach
For my money the only mistake Brown made was having Hornby at 5/8 and Josh Morris at FB. Put Hornby back at FB and leave Rangi at 5/8.

As to Brown as a coach I have no doubt he has the strategy and tactics to out-think other sides and come up with winning game plans. He has however shown that he hasn't been able to consistently prepare a team to play high intensity football. Wether it's fitness or skills we fall down on both. You could tell when they walked out on the field that some of them didn't want to be there while the tiges were ready to run through brick walls.

As to individual players yesterday I would point the finger at Hornby, Ryles, Scott, Creagh Woolford, Soward and Poore. There were times when on the third and fourth tackles we had Nightingale, Cooper and Gasnier running from dummy half.
THAT IS JUST NOT ACCEPTABLE OF AN NRL FORWARD PACK.

The positives were Saffy, Reynoldson and Rangi Chase. They looked like they wanted to put in 100%. The rest dissapointed greatly.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
OK, if they did not follow the "game plan" wouldn't he of blasted them in the sheds at half time so they can play to his supposed "Game Plan"? That would only account for 40 minutes of not playing to his game plan.

IF he did then they obviously did not take any notice as they played just as bad the 2nd half.

He is rubbish. Why wait 5 games, do it now as they are only 1 game into the season and have plenty of time to build on a good season. They are going to wait till the Dragons are 10 pts behind 1st and have no chance of making the top 4.

Ribs

Bench
I'd give him 2 weeks.....

Next weeks effort and the week after. He needs to turn it around this week and then back it up again or he can go.

There is no doubt his heart is in this club but he just isnt able to get the players to their potential. Its all well and good to be a smart coach and come up with plans to beat oppositions but if you cant create the necessary intensity and work ethic then whats the point?

Id love to see him stay on as assistant because I think he is important to the club but if he fails the next two weeks with a full strength side then enough is enough.

St. Brett

Juniors
saintsanta.jpg

That heat wrecked havoc on your preformance yesterday, Dragons.
Chin up.
Your next game against The Titans is a night game at Wollongong right?
In the cooler weather we'll see a better preformance.
You had your moments in the 2nd half yesterday until the 20 minute heat break stopped your momentum.
That was terrible that sun.