What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Browny's gameplan

borat

Bench
I am getting a bit sick and tired of the Brown haters even amongst Dragon supporters who come out of the woodwork after every loss. They and go on about how inexperienced he is and what a great team we have on paper blah blah blah. But when we win there is never any mention of Brown's input.

Before Saturday night Brisbane were being regarded as the form team going into the finals, Playing at home infron of 50K + crowd, Hodges was being talked up as Australian Fullback due to his form and had a moster set of forwards. Aparently the dragons didn't stand a chance.

Nathan Brown came up with a game plan that completely nulified Hodges, worked the brisbane forwards and repeatedly caught them out with indside passes and quick shifting of the ball wide, rock solid defence & lethal backline movements. Nathan Brown took one of the best coaches in the business in Bennett to school and showed him how it should be done.

I was in awe at what a perfect game plan he produced on Saturday and I hope it continues.

Godz Illa

Coach
100% agree borat. Brownie deserves a lot of credit for that victory. Another point worth mentioning is the way he utilised the players at his disposal. The loss of Dean Young may have been catastrophic as he was such a key piece of the winning 6-7-9 puzzle, but he slotted Head into the mix and let Barrett play the Young role.

Ribs

Bench
Couldnt agree more..... and Im glad someone said it.

It was a great game tactically and it was a great game mentally and physically so pretty much the perfect coaching performance. Well done Browny.

Shifting Baz to dummy half and having Head at first receiver was magic. Seeing the centres with ball and space, where the f$ck has that been all year?

glory79

Juniors
As one of the so-called Brown haters, I can say that one win againts the Broncos wont make the last three years of waste go away. Given, sat night was great coaching and I hope he continues to produce that kind of display and if he does that, he can stay there forever.

In saying that, we should never have finished 6th and had to play Brisbane in Brisbane. Does saying this make me any less of a supporter? NO, and I will be at the SFS on Friday night with the Red V on like all the rest of you!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I was a Browny fan until the Parra game. The Dragons played pathetic, yet he sat there criticising the ref for a bad game and put the loss down to the ref. That worried the hell out of me as I was shocked he could not see the crap that the Dragon's dished on the field. Another bad Brown move was continuaing to put Colin Best on the field when it was so evident that he was a weakness and all sides were guaranteed a try attacking his side of defence.

In saying that since he dropped Best (Neck injury my AR$e) and started stating the obvious that they were struggling with discipline and poor ball control I can't really say anything bad about him. If they do win he should certainly get credit for all his effort and being a young coach will only get better.

Also credit to Browny for sticking with Baz at 5/8 when the poor guy was getting hammered by all sorts. Baz is a big game player and if the forwards can give him some space, he will reward them with a GF that's for sure.

Father Ted

First Grade
Still haven't made up my mind about Brown but I'm sure most of our problems go a little higher than coach as I've said before .

borat

Bench
Slippery Morris said:
I was a Browny fan until the Parra game. The Dragons played pathetic, yet he sat there criticising the ref for a bad game and put the loss down to the ref. That worried the hell out of me as I was shocked he could not see the crap that the Dragon's dished on the field. Another bad Brown move was continuaing to put Colin Best on the field when it was so evident that he was a weakness and all sides were guaranteed a try attacking his side of defence.

Criticising the Ref was the best thing he has done all year bar none. Hardly lost a penalty count since then and have kept Clark away from our games. It was perfect, waited until the following day to prepare his thoughts and personally picked out the ref who canes us time and time again.

I think you will find keeping Best in FG was more about not having a suitable replacement until Wes came back from injury, who might I add has been supurb considering he missed 3/4 of the season.

phonetic

Juniors
Congratulations to Brown on chalking up his first convincing finals performance since taking over.

It was pretty clear that all 17 were there with their big game attitudes in tow, and they went out and executed when it counted. Now it's about doing it 3 more times.

Tactically a very good effort. And the execution was marvellous. No dumb penalties, great defence, smart kicking game. They are some very important ingredients in the context of the next 3 weeks.

The boys need to be just as switched on at 7:45pm Friday night.

Steel Dragon

Bench
I'm not gonna say anything one way or the other at the moment - for fear of jinxing us.

I have a good feeling about this...

gregstar

Referee
it was a triumph for brown.

he simply outcoached bennett.

the team was given a straight forward gameplan & foolowed it. we weren't sensational, we were solid. brisbane were really poor because they didn't have any options.

well done brownie.

hope you've got another goodun' up your sleeve this week.

The Preacher

First Grade
borat said:
Criticising the Ref was the best thing he has done all year bar none. Hardly lost a penalty count since then and have kept Clark away from our games. It was perfect, waited until the following day to prepare his thoughts and personally picked out the ref who canes us time and time again.

I think you will find keeping Best in FG was more about not having a suitable replacement until Wes came back from injury, who might I add has been supurb considering he missed 3/4 of the season.

Can't agree there Borat. I know my support for Reece Simmonds borders on stalking, but if he couldn't have done a better job than Best, I'll eat siht on toast for a month. We also have another Morris in Premier League and Millard as well. Any of these would've been a better option compared to Best. The main reason I say this is that the 3 players mentioned all have ticker, something Best had a bypass for a long time ago.
There is nothing to say that Brown hasn't been giving the players winning game plans all year, it could be the fact that the players didn't follow what was put in front of them. Browny doesn't drop the ball or miss tackles, players do. There is only so much a coach can do pre-game, but once the players cross the white line, it's all up to them, not the coaches.;-)

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I knew Preach will come up with a suitable replacement in Best by the name of Reece. I have to agree with Preach. Why drop Reece for no reason and keep Best on the field after 3 shocking games. Easily cost the Dragons 3rd spot not that it counts now.

Critising the ref in hindsight has been good for the club but at the time was worrying as I honestly thought he was under the impression the Dragons played well that night. That was the worst performance all season losing to a team with 1 prop.

Browny has come good at the business end SO FAR, they still have 3 games to go so we should not get carried away.

The Manly game will be a big test as the Dragons will be huge favourites to win as everyone will expect them to flog Manly. They are the games they usually lose. The ones they are expected to win.

Steel Dragon

Bench
Ok ive gotta give the points to Brown on his decision to criticise the refs a few weeks back.
I still dont agree with his actions, but i love his initiative - and i cant argue with the result - but - now im thinking its high time someone (ie Brownie) spoke out about Geoff Toovey.

Honestly, the amount of time on the field Toovs spends is rediculous. Its like having the coach on the field in the under 7s.

If the referees were pressured to keep an eye on toovey and piss him off when he's not actually administering to a manly player, this might rattle manly enough to put them off their game.

Just an idea...........

Fin077

Juniors
Some nice work from Brownie there.

However, he needs to come up with another one for this week.

What do you guys see Manly's weaknesses being? Where will he look to get an edge this week?

phonetic

Juniors
I'd be putting plenty of pressure on the halves. Burns is inexperienced at this level and should be targetted. Orford is yet to shake the 'big game monkey' from his back.

They are a pretty strong side across the paddock, but I think if we go in with the same semi final intensity as last week we will be too strong. We completed sets, we were disciplined, we were ruthless. I don't think Manly have that in them.

Steel Dragon

Bench
I think Hicks and Robertson could be targeted with kickes to the corners.
Wes and Morris showed they are both high flyers against the Broncs and would be right in a contest for the high ball.

Bell's foot is reportedly dodgy too - i'd get Coops to target him and test it out

Father Ted

First Grade
Fin077 said:
Some nice work from Brownie there.

However, he needs to come up with another one for this week.

What do you guys see Manly's weaknesses being? Where will he look to get an edge this week?

Do what Newcastle did in the second half . And keep playing that Boring footie it works a treat .

Fin077

Juniors
I think Hicks and Robertson could be targeted with kickes to the corners.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

That, along with completing the basics and a little more of what they produced last week and you'll walk it in.

Collateral

Coach
Match it with their fowards and tire out Menzies, Watmough and Kennedy by making them tackle all day.

Big, long kicks and force Stewart into corners on the kick returns or give him no time and room.

If Bell has a bad foot we should be able to expose it.