What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bruce Gordon take-over still on .

jak

Bench
From all reports he was a massive Illawarra fan. And one of his big priorities is to have footy games played out of Wollongong. Let's hope he realizes that the St.GeorgeQUOTE]
Dragons brand name is a more valuable marketing product than the Illawarra steelers name. THIS

Those thinking this will be a magic wand need to think harder.

A 51% share will see total control to him. There have been numerous reports and statements in the past that St George supporters need to take not of now.

51% means an Illawarra dominated ownership. More games at Wollongong. He has already stated that. A return of the Illawarra identity. Also previously stated. Doust will be entrenched. Part of the agreement leaked publicly months ago.

This will spell the end of St George.

Be prepared for the Illawarra Dragons. Good old steelers jerseys with a hint of dragons memories in it somewhere. It will be a mediocre club, much like the steelers were. No offence but really with the talent they took from traditional dragons support base they should have showed more.

I do not support this as a Dragons supporter. This is the final death knoll for a once proud club that propped up a sadly underperforming partner since 1999 only to have wasted its financial position to the point of being an easy target.

No money will go into the club. All money paid out for this 51% will go towards debt reduction.

Mcgregoyis an Illawarra boy and will remain the golden haired boy. Surely people can see if he hasn't been sacked by now, what has kept him where he is? Paying out contracts has nothing to do with it.

Wait till the fine print and conditions are released on this buyout before you all start celebrating.

I for one, will be done with the club the day this takeover is signed off. I have supported the dragons through thick and thin for over 50 years. It will be a sad sad day when they let this takeover happen.

Nothing against the Illawarra, but St George should have either gone it alone, went to super league (they were offered $20m to switch sides) or just packed up shop then and there rather than end this way.

Understand your concern Dorsai. I share your sentiments, however if Gordon really is a business man he will hold on to the most valuable elements of the JV. That without question is the red V, and the name St.George.

Playing out of 2 separate home grounds is in my view one of the reasons why we struggle to attract players. Being based in Wollongong is a close second.

Yes we have been plagued by poor management and a lack of TPA's but in reality the original structure was doomed to fail from the beginning.

What you clearly don't understand is that all of those changes you guaranteed would happen can't be made with a simple majority, so your entire whinge about the 51% is completely irrelevant. Changes to the name, logo and colours require a unanimous vote, and last I checked (and I think I can count), 51% has never, and will never be unanimous.

Oh and by the way, a JV doesn't have to be 50:50. A JV is literally just a business structure where 2 or more parties pool resources. A 51:49 partnership is still a JV. Surely someone who thinks he is as smart as you do would realise that even a 50:50 JV would require one party to have more voting power than the other?

Your comments pertain to the current JV. The reason I would like a statement of intention is that supporters have a right to know what the new terms are that he seeks to impose.

Illawarra has produced some of our greatest players. I am not anti-Illawarra. I am anti the death of the St.George side of the JV.

SaintHarry

Juniors
Better than the shit club we are now under St George leadership. If it wasn't for Tallis not wanting Bennett at the Cowboys, we still would have won nothing, and we would be dead financially.

Good. I hope to go along with this. People like you aren't needed, nor wanted.

People like you would rather a club that loses every single game for the next 20 years, and be dead financially, than have a financially sustainable club, even if the only thing required for the latter is more games at a different stadium. People like you are an embarrassment to this club.

It will be a great day when all of the anti-JV dickheads f**k off and we have a fan base that actually support the St George Illawarra Dragons.

You can keep the JV chump i support st george dragons ...illawarra.. whos that?

Dragonscales

Juniors
"Under the proposal, which may take months to finalise due to its complexity, the name, logo, colours and where St George Illawarra Dragons play would be protected because any change requires a unanimous vote by a board comprising representatives of St George, Illawarra and WIN Corporation."

A unanimous vote from the board is required to change anything regarding St George vs Illawarra. This agreement was signed at the formation of St George Illawarra, it's illegal to do otherwise.

St George is safe. There's no grand Illawarra take over.

SOURCE: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...d-welcome-win-investment-20160509-gopogz.html

Dorsai

Juniors
Yes, the original charter did call for a unanimous vote. The concern here will be, as others are voicing, is that any new structure with a 51% majority can, and that is a "can" institute new charters.

Yes, I am concerned that a new structure under Gordon who is an Illawarra fan, could move to change voting requirements. A statement of intention and structure must include guarantees that the jersey remain a redv, must remain St George Illawarra Dragons, and must have games out of Kogarah.

The issue will lie with how this buyout is worded. At this point, without those guarantees the name and jersey are a negotiable factor.

I am not against the merger. I was never, and remain, not fond of the merger but accept that we have no alternative at this point.

Regardless, I voice only that I have concerns that this has the potential to go sideways for St George. This 51% will mean the Illawarra side of the equation becomes a dominant force.

Regardless of what will spin money or not, Gordon's base will lie with the Illawarra region and that part of the venture. He has no loyalty to St George. If he is as savvy as others say, then he would be mad to get rid of the St George identity.

North Sydney fans also believed in their joint venture moving their brand forward and we know what happened there.

I will wait, having now voiced my concerns, until we see something concrete and hopefully have my concerns proven wrong.

barry

Juniors
Does anyone have these 'statements' that Gordon has made about the whole moving games to WIN and 'bringing Illawarra identity back to the team?'

barry

Juniors
You would have to be out of your mind to think Gordon is going to take over and kill St George!

There is no way that will happen, St george is the heart and soul of this club!

hazzbeen

Bench

A 51% share will see total control to him. There have been numerous reports and statements in the past that St George supporters need to take not of now.

51% means an Illawarra dominated ownership. More games at Wollongong. He has already stated that. A return of the Illawarra identity. Also previously stated. Doust will be entrenched. Part of the agreement leaked publicly months ago.

Be prepared for the Illawarra Dragons. Good old steelers jerseys with a hint of dragons memories in it somewhere. It will be a mediocre club, much like the steelers were. No offence but really with the talent they took from traditional dragons support base they should have showed more.

I do not support this as a Dragons supporter. This is the final death knoll for a once proud club that propped up a sadly underperforming partner since 1999 only to have wasted its financial position to the point of being an easy target.

No money will go into the club. All money paid out for this 51% will go towards debt reduction.

Mcgregoyis an Illawarra boy and will remain the golden haired boy. Surely people can see if he hasn't been sacked by now, what has kept him where he is? Paying out contracts has nothing to do with it.

Wait till the fine print and conditions are released on this buyout before you all start celebrating.

I for one, will be done with the club the day this takeover is signed off. I have supported the dragons through thick and thin for over 50 years. It will be a sad sad day when they let this takeover happen.

Nothing against the Illawarra, but St George should have either gone it alone, went to super league (they were offered $20m to switch sides) or just packed up shop then and there rather than end this way.
Dorsai this could easily happen ........ Not good if it goes with Illawarra , but in saying that the St George side of it wont last without a take over ....

hazzbeen

Bench

Rexxy

Coach
At 51% fans will need to have a say on that.

Just reported by FOXS Sports that Bruce Gordon has reopened negotiations with the NRL to buy a 51% share of the St.George Illawarra joint venture .

Could this possibly be the beginning of a new and hopefully successful era of our great Club ?
And in turn the end of Mr Doust and his cronies !

Dragonscales

Juniors
Yes, the original charter did call for a unanimous vote. The concern here will be, as others are voicing, is that any new structure with a 51% majority can, and that is a "can" institute new charters.

Yes, I am concerned that a new structure under Gordon who is an Illawarra fan, could move to change voting requirements. A statement of intention and structure must include guarantees that the jersey remain a redv, must remain St George Illawarra Dragons, and must have games out of Kogarah.

The issue will lie with how this buyout is worded. At this point, without those guarantees the name and jersey are a negotiable factor.

I am not against the merger. I was never, and remain, not fond of the merger but accept that we have no alternative at this point.

Regardless, I voice only that I have concerns that this has the potential to go sideways for St George. This 51% will mean the Illawarra side of the equation becomes a dominant force.

Regardless of what will spin money or not, Gordon's base will lie with the Illawarra region and that part of the venture. He has no loyalty to St George. If he is as savvy as others say, then he would be mad to get rid of the St George identity.

North Sydney fans also believed in their joint venture moving their brand forward and we know what happened there.

I will wait, having now voiced my concerns, until we see something concrete and hopefully have my concerns proven wrong.

He can't change the voting requirements. It's concrete.

The merger states that you cannot change colours (red and white), emblem (Dragons) and location (St George and Wollongong). This can only be done with a unanimous vote by the board.

Last edited:

Rexxy

Coach
Nicely said, Dorsai. 51% may as well be 100%

When there was a choice of Bennett and McGregor, Bruce Gordon backed and paid for Mary. IMO

This is the biggest tactical blunder since Hitler rounded on Russia, or Bruce Gordon lost the Nine affiliation and ended up with the lame duck TEN.

Dragonscales

Juniors
St George won't vote to sell 51% to Gordon if he has the potential to rid the St George Dragons brand.

If Gordon aquires 51% there would surely be a clause in the contract stating he cannot change colours (red and white), emblem (Dragons) and location (St George and Wollongong).

Coffs dragon

Bench
There was a very comprehensive story on Bruce Gordon earlier in the year on his life and background.
The one thing I clearly remember was he developed his love for Rugby League as a young kid following the St.George Dragons.
Yes all his business interests are centred in the Illawarra region but I'm sure deep down he would never intervene or destroy an icon he once loved. We all need to get onboard as this maybe the clubs only chance to survive and prosper against the other Super League protected species clubs.
Once a Dragon always a Dragon....united together.

hazzbeen

Bench
There was a very comprehensive story on Bruce Gordon earlier in the year on his life and background.
The one thing I clearly remember was he developed his love for Rugby League as a young kid following the St.George Dragons.
Yes all his business interests are centred in the Illawarra region but I'm sure deep down he would never intervene or destroy an icon he once loved. We all need to get onboard as this maybe the clubs only chance to survive and prosper against the other Super League protected species clubs.
Once a Dragon always a Dragon....united together.
Once a Doust always a doubt ....

OzDragon

Coach
I just don't see him getting rid of the St. George part. Its too big and popular to just play second fiddle to the Illawarra part. Not to mention the backlash that would happen from our fans, the RL community in general and the ones who control the game i.e. the media should he go down that route.

Not worried in the least.

thestevo888

Juniors
Wasn't the brand, colours, logo etc part of the non-negotiables of the original JV?
Frankly, I can't see Gordon messing with these items to any extent. The club is officially known as the St George Illawarra Dragons and I think he'd be happy just to retain the "Illawarra" part of the name. There is also too much history and supporter base, and losing that would also dent his return on his investment.
I think the point raised about 6 games at WIN, would really to satisfy his own TV rights to broadcast these games, throughout the Illawarra region and have Ch9 or Fox as free advertisers. More interestingly would be where the remaining 6 "home" games would be played (if my maths is correct 26 - 2 for byes = 24 / 2 = 12 - 6 for Win games leaves 6), 1 of these would be the annual ANZAC clash, so that leaves 5. One would hope these would be at Kogarah, and this maybe another sticking point given the RGRV policy. However, if we are free from debt then this policy would and should become obsolete.
The biggest change will come from within the board, and other areas unseen by us mere mortals.

Bruce Gordon the messiah or Bruce Gordon the masochist? only time will tell.[/QUOT

Yep, pretty sure I remember reading that brand, jumpers and name were NOT up for grabs as part of the negotiations between the dragons and Gordon. Can't imagine this happening from a financial point of view - we have one of the most famous and marketable names/jumpers in the comp, anyone looking to maintain financial viability would be crazy to walk away from that.

Latest posts