What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bryce Cartwright gone

hindy111

Post Whore
Cartwright and Moylan will both improve just as other creative types have after leaving Hook.

Corey Norman was a deadset joke under Hook. Hesnow a legitimate Origin contender.
Ben Barba was fat. Slow. Uncreative under Hook. Flanagan turned him back into his old self.
Te Marie Martin was average under Hook. But no moreso than anyone else. Not even 6 months after this reserve grader leaves hes in a grand final.
Ben Hunt took about 4 seasons to become NRL quality under him.

How many creative x-factor types have been remotely consistent for any length of time under Hook? Moylan and Cartwright are probably two of the more consistent ones.

Hook just doesnt get the best out of players. They respond to good coaches and game plans.

Norman was a 20- 22yld at Brisbane. His first year at eels was also very ordinary. It wasnt untill Foran left that he stepped up big time. Most play makers do get to peak closer to 26 then 21.

Yeo, Rcg,Peachey,Blake, have gone to another level under Hook. I dont see your point.

hindy111

Post Whore
You say that like its not possible to have finished higher on the ladder or gone further in the finals.

The players form under him says he cant get the best out of them. Especially x-factor players and playmakers.

In 12 months we should have a good idea. We'll see whether the likesof Moylan, Carty snd Latu improve or not.

Do you think the emergence of Edwards Cnn Kikau and signing Maloney offset some of the clubs thinking.
Id say Blakes form is also why Hiku was seen as excess.

hindy111

Post Whore
Meanwhile RCG. Maloney. Peachey. CHN etc. Are defensive beasts.

Dead set. The f**king bias shown toward players in our jersey is a joke. I love our club as much as anyone. But a player is not automatically better if he wears our jersey and worse when he doesnt.

Why not judge them all on the same scale?

Exactly and why shedding a weaker defemder is smart. All about balance.

franklin2323

Immortal
Do you think the emergence of Edwards Cnn Kikau and signing Maloney offset some of the clubs thinking.

This is the point I was making. Everyone we debut goes well and keep their spot. The injured or senior guy goes to NSW Cup. They think they can play FG elsewhere and go

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Norman was a 20- 22yld at Brisbane. His first year at eels was also very ordinary. It wasnt untill Foran left that he stepped up big time. Most play makers do get to peak closer to 26 then 21.

Yeo, Rcg,Peachey,Blake, have gone to another level under Hook. I dont see your point.

Please, if you love Griffin so much, lets swap coaches, shall we?

mxlegend99

Referee
Emergence of Kikau? Hook dropped him and preferred literally anyone to him. The club knew all along Edwards had a future at fullback for us. 2017 wasnt a shock at all.

Hikus form had more to do with him leaving than Blakes form. When Tamou leaves everyone will finally admit he was a dud buy just as they have with Hiku... hell I think Hiku did his job better than Tamou TBH. Both were unnecessary signings on overs because of their rep careers that vanished once playing for us. Neither makes a noticeable difference on field. If they were signed on average contracts as solid players they would be viewed completely differently.

Looking at our depth centre/wingers Hiku would actually be good to have. 4th centre behind Blake. Peach and Whare. 3rd winger behind Mansour and DWZ.

mxlegend99

Referee

No theyve gotten more experienced and older...just as you say Norman did.

Aside from RCG, all of those guys were better in 2016 than 2017. They arent playing to their potential under him... and how many players can you say have? Send any player to Storm and they are twice as good within one preseason.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Emergence of Kikau? Hook dropped him and preferred literally anyone to him. The club knew all along Edwards had a future at fullback for us. 2017 wasnt a shock at all.

Hikus form had more to do with him leaving than Blakes form. When Tamou leaves everyone will finally admit he was a dud buy just as they have with Hiku... hell I think Hiku did his job better than Tamou TBH. Both were unnecessary signings on overs because of their rep careers that vanished once playing for us. Neither makes a noticeable difference on field. If they were signed on average contracts as solid players they would be viewed completely differently.

Looking at our depth centre/wingers Hiku would actually be good to have. 4th centre behind Blake. Peach and Whare. 3rd winger behind Mansour and DWZ.

We could do with Hiku now that DWZ is apparently out. Imagine if Edwards goes down during this time - we are monumentally screwed.

This is the point I was making. Everyone we debut goes well and keep their spot. The injured or senior guy goes to NSW Cup. They think they can play FG elsewhere and go

Club should tell some of them they’re not being released because we need depth. At least don’t release them until we can find someone roughly equivalent.

Seriously some of these guys would benefit from a bit of tough love. Too many people cut & run when things get remotely tough.

And Gould needs to make decisions in the interest of the club, not individuals who think they can play FG regularly.

We could do with Hiku now that DWZ is apparently out. Imagine if Edwards goes down during this time - we are monumentally screwed.

We could do with Hiku. But not the money he was reportedly on.

How could they not foresee our outside back problem and recruit someone at a reasonable price?! Journeyman wingers are a dime a dozen.

mxlegend99

Referee
Oh hell yes. We'd be a juggernaut with BA as coach. I might rate him as a coach a little.
I think Brennan and he are very similar. Blokes rated highly as lower grade/assistant coaches and loved by them. Seem to get the best out of players. Or atleast effort from them.

I think Brennan and he are very similar. Blokes rated highly as lower grade/assistant coaches and loved by them. Seem to get the best out of players. Or atleast effort from them.

Hook has struck me for a while as a great guy to have around the club mentoring young players.

Just not as a key decision maker.

mxlegend99

Referee
Club should tell some of them they’re not being released because we need depth. At least don’t release them until we can find someone roughly equivalent.

Seriously some of these guys would benefit from a bit of tough love. Too many people cut & run when things get remotely tough.

And Gould needs to make decisions in the interest of the club, not individuals who think they can play FG regularly.
100% this.

Were in a f**ked position spine wise because we keep letting guys leave contracts early and the guys we planned to keep leave not long after.

Korisau/Segeyaro
TMM/Moylan

Likewise we're quick to punt/release players sith no backup plans to replace them. We punt Latu and could have actually kept him since Carty left anyway.

We let our depth backs leave and things are pretty desperate now to cover an injury. Where's the roster management we had 2/3 years ago? Now we just have a shitload of average second rowers for depth.

franklin2323

Immortal

Let's say both Hiku and Rein was on $200k. That is a huge slab of money to be in NSW Cup

Let's say both Hiku and Rein was on $200k. That is a huge slab of money to be in NSW Cup

As I’ve said repeatedly the issue with Hiku was signing him in the first place.

The releases aren’t just an issue because of players being let go. Part of the reason they’re happening is because we’re signing the wrong players.

Garbage in, garbage out of you like.

Latest posts