What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buderus To Quit Knights

NthKnight

jhonny bravo said:
I think the best person for the Knights would have been Ben Smith but has resigned with the Eels. We need someone with First Grade experience in the centres but is a very good defensive centre like Matt Cooper. I am not sure if he is off contract but would be awesome up here and i think we should be prepared to pay overs on him if he is off contract. Look at the people we have as wingers Aku, Vuna plus throw in Sau, Wes, Luke McDougall, and McManus we have enough strike power there. IMO a defensive centre is our best option if we can get it.

He currently does not have a contract beyond this season. Its more likely that he will either re-sign with the Dragons or go to the ESL but one can only hope

NthKnight

macavity said:
I just had it confirmed. he is gone.

:(

Well that has just f**ked his chances of playing SOO this year as the NRL have a policy to not select departing players :(. Looks like Robbie Farrar will get his shot after all.

Hanscholo

Bench
Its no surprise to me that we will be looking to spend Danny's cash in the backline, i think Smith rebuilt the forwards last year and wants to work on the backs this year, with perhaps some minor changes in the forward pack. Personally if we can organise for a quality replacement for Danny, then a 400k per season outside back would be a nice signing.

I wonder if Tahu would ever consider coming back?

bluesbreaker

Bench
If we sign an outside back that isn't Uate for 400k i'll be pretty upset. Especially if it's some untested quantity like Folau. Let's see him do more than stroll over on the back of pretty backline movements.

And Tahu? No thanks.

Ice777

Bench
otori said:
Will Chambers would be an excellent buy if we could get him for under 250k.

Chambers is signed until the end of 2009. As for Inglis, for whatever reason he doesn't like Sydney very much so his manager has stated, Newcastle might be different though. Even if we lose Bellamy all the players with a get out clause won't be able to join him at Brisbane so i don't think GI will be going anywhere anyway. Smith would be the most likely to follow him and he's going to be asking for a packet.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Newcastle Knights skipper Danny Buderus has confirmed he is leaving the club at the end of the 2008 season to play out his career in England.
Just two days after fullback Kurt Gidley committed to the club for another three seasons, Buderus revealed at a packed press conference on Thursday afternoon that he has signed a two-year deal with English Super League club Leeds and will leave the Knights at the end of this campaign.
The 30-year-old representative player said it was a hard decision to leave the club that gave him his start in the NRL but it was the right time to go.
"I am joining one of the powerhouses of world rugby league and that is something I haven't taken lightly," Buderus said.
"I have enjoyed so much of my time here at Newcastle and it was one of the toughest decisions I have had to make to leave the club that I love and played my whole career here.'
"Obviously I stewed over it but if I never go now I will probably never go."
"I have got a beautiful family and I am at the right age to go so I am obviously very excited by the next path in my rugby league career."
Buderus said the deal had been set in motion about three months ago and he made his decision to join the World Club champions some weeks back and was relieved to have the deal public knowledge.
"I sort of flagged it a few months ago that I was looking forward to finishing my career over there," Buderus said.
"I made the decision going back a few weeks and it is the right time for me to move on and further my ambitions and goals I want to achieve over there in the English Super League."
"I told the boys (Knights players) this morning and already I feel a huge weight off my back and I am telling all you guys now and all the speculation is over."
"I want to focus on this year now and talk about Leeds Rhinos next year and I know Leeds are the same - they have got a comp to win over there and we will pick it up when we get over there in 2009."
An NRL premiership, 24 Tests and 18 Origins later, Newcastle coach Brian Smith said Buderus would leave a huge hole in the Knights line-up but said he was happy for the hooker to further his ambitions in the English Super League.
"I am at ease with it," Smith said.
"I am disappointed to lose such a great player. But I am at ease with it. Of all the players that you can think of I can't think of anyone who is more deserving of determining his own future than Bedsy."

From Sportal

Serc

First Grade
bluesbreaker said:
Why wouldn't Gringlis come back to NSW? He's from f**king Taree right?

Bowraville to be exact (200km up the road :p) but the Mid North Coast is good enough!

Wicks

Juniors
otori said:
Yeah but unlike Smith and Folau, he's not as likely to use it chase Bellamy to Brisbane.

I think we should be going after young centres with at least a year in first grade. Chase Stanley comes to mind, Fetuli Talanoa or maybe Will Chambers. Will Chambers would be an excellent buy if we could get him for under 250k.

Chase Stanley is signed until 2010

Fetuli Talanoa is off contract :D

cram

Bench
Oh well it all comes to an end, the reality he is at the end of his career and I there was always a chance that with each extra year here the more likely he will be injured and the more likely it would take longer to recover. Good luck to him.

I read somewhere that we were looking at another forward that is off contract next seaon, his name escapes me but I think he plays for the rooters

perverse

Referee
cram said:
Oh well it all comes to an end, the reality he is at the end of his career and I there was always a chance that with each extra year here the more likely he will be injured and the more likely it would take longer to recover. Good luck to him.

I read somewhere that we were looking at another forward that is off contract next seaon, his name escapes me but I think he plays for the rooters
anthony tupou?

happy to have him, but at the right price... his current asking price (i think it was around 400-500k) is laughable.

cram

Bench
perverse said:
anthony tupou?

happy to have him, but at the right price... his current asking price (i think it was around 400-500k) is laughable.

Yeah thats him..

chinorocks

Juniors
Collis would be a great pickup. He's great at setting up his winger which with Vuna and Uate would be invaluable to our side. Sucks we don't have Midley anymore he could have been lethal with that type of pace outside him instead of the Hall's, Quinn's etc he's had since Tahu left.

Matt Cooper would almost definately not come to the club and even if he did i don't think he's worth anywhere near what we would have to pay. Granted he's a great defender, but for 350k+ I don't think he offers enough overall.

Of the young guys both Stanley and Lawrence would be great, but we'd probably have to pay overs to pry them from their current clubs, and there yet to prove their consistently worth big money.

As for Tupou, we have heaps of backrowers and the money he wants is ridiculous. How he keeps getting picked in rep teams is beyond me, when he only seems to play 3 or 4 great games a year.

chinorocks

Juniors
Considering the topic I should have paid tribute to Danny.

Sorry to see you leave champion, you are a legend who will be impossible to replace. You have done the side proud over your entire time at the club and will be remembered forever.

chinorocks

Juniors
Dread Pirate Roberts said:
Chase Farrar, he is going to be the blues hooker & is the perfect sub for Bedsy

No way Farrar will leave the Tigers. No way he'd come to us without us shelling out half our cap. Can we please save posts linking us to Farrar, Cam Smith, Inglis or any other genuine superstars until there is even a sniff of a rumour that we're talking to them. Otherwise this will turn into lets sign Stuart Fielden in every topic all over again.