What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buderus To Quit Knights

Frederick

Staff member
The Camden Leisure Pirate said:
I'd say with the money from Bedsy we need a new hooker and forward.

Maybe make a play for Tupou.
As long as it's only $250-300k, and not the 400 he, for some reason, thinks he's worth

Johns Magic

Referee
The Camden Leisure Pirate said:
I'd say with the money from Bedsy we need a new hooker and forward.

Maybe make a play for Tupou.

I think if the likes of Houston and Wicks can kick on this year as they are expected to then our forward stocks will be fine. Either way, I would hate to waste money on Tupou, who at this stage has failed to live up to his potential.

I think an outside back or hooker should be our main target, especially with MacDougall retiring.

Johns Magic

Referee
Karmawave said:
Chase Stanley, now that would be a lad I'd love in Knights colours.

There aren't a huge number of superstar centres around really. Looking through this weeks team lineups, the outside backs look a bit thin. Apart from the Gasniers and Hodges who arent going anywhere, the young talent that stands out is Chase Stanley, Chris Lawrence, Michael Jennings , Folau...

Im sure not all are coming off contract this year, but they are worth going after with some big $.

We are in an unsual situation. The cost of living in Newcastle is less than Sydney, so you would assume we could get players at decent price levels. On the other hand, it seems Newcastle has to go higher than normal just to attract players to the Knights.

Apart from Ben Kennedy, I can't remember the last time a superstar considered coming here who wasn't already a Knights junior or familiar with the area.

And again, Brian Smith isn't going to help the attraction for players.

At the end of the day, on-field success is what we need to attract players.

Karmawave

Bench
I consider Inglis special, but I think long term I'd prefer Chris Lawrence or Michael Jennings than Inglis.

Inglis can be devastating on his day, but goes missing too much in games for mine.

Johns Magic

Referee
Karmawave said:
I consider Inglis special, but I think long term I'd prefer Chris Lawrence or Michael Jennings than Inglis.

Inglis can be devastating on his day, but goes missing too much in games for mine.

Can't agree on that last line. His performances in the big matches when it counts(Origin, grand-final) have been very good.

NthKnight

Karmawave said:
Apart from Ben Kennedy, I can't remember the last time a superstar considered coming here who wasn't already a Knights junior or familiar with the area.

And again, Brian Smith isn't going to help the attraction for players.

To be fair, Ben Cross had a higher profile while at Melbourne than BK did when he played for Canberra. However your are right, we havnt attracted an established rep player since Steve Walters back in the late 90's.

Karmawave

Bench
Agree, Inglis has been good in big matches.

We have to make sure we have players who can get us back to big matches first.

And Nth Knight, I guess Ben Cross counts, but I am not sure if he benefitted from being in a great team. We'll see how he goes this year.

Didn't BK play State Of Origin while at Canberra? I remember him carving us up when he played for the Raiders when I was just a youngster.

Steve Walters, well it was fair to say he was very much past his prime.

Actually Lee Jackson was a big signing - came across as arguably the best hooker in the world, and left as a laughing stock which was disappointing. I always liked him alot.

NthKnight

Karmawave said:
Agree, Inglis has been good in big matches.

Didn't BK play State Of Origin while at Canberra? I remember him carving us up when he played for the Raiders when I was just a youngster.

Steve Walters, well it was fair to say he was very much past his prime.

Actually Lee Jackson was a big signing - came across as arguably the best hooker in the world, and left as a laughing stock which was disappointing. I always liked him alot.

I just chaecked and your right, he did play SOO in '99 which was his last year at Canberra.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Dean Collis? Solid defensively and can create opportunities for his outside men? I rate him and we may be able to get him for $250,000.

jhonny bravo

Juniors
I think the best person for the Knights would have been Ben Smith but has resigned with the Eels. We need someone with First Grade experience in the centres but is a very good defensive centre like Matt Cooper. I am not sure if he is off contract but would be awesome up here and i think we should be prepared to pay overs on him if he is off contract. Look at the people we have as wingers Aku, Vuna plus throw in Sau, Wes, Luke McDougall, and McManus we have enough strike power there. IMO a defensive centre is our best option if we can get it.

perverse

Referee
we knew it was a long shot that bedsy would stay past this year. personally i wish him all the best in the ESL, and hope he kills it for us in his last year in the red and blue.