What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building the next NZ team

Perth Red

Post Whore
How am I avoiding the issue? A coach can give all the input he wants, but the final decision is with administrators.

He (and you) do have a point in there, that so far the Warriors resurgence is just one great season, and we havent seen it "bed in" to a run of solid seasons.. but keep in mind that if an expansion decision is made later this year, we'll have a read on how well they've followed-on from 2023, and the Warriors will still have another season or two with clear space to operate in, before an NZ 2 enters the competition.

Yes, NZ 2 would be on a pre-debut recruitment drive - but again, if the Warriors are proving that 2023 was no fluke, they'll hold their own. (Ie doing OK on the player market, thanks to their on-field strength)
I highly doubt nz2 will be club 18 so its more likely 6-8 years clear air till nz2 comes in.

final say

Juniors
There's a few non issues cropping up:
Firstly a coaches opinion carries the weight of any bloke in the street, he's job is to build a roster and get them playing good footy , the bloke responsible for pumping up steedens is much the same. Actually they have a vested intrest which actually makes it worth less.
The fact that they point to the Warriors success or lack of consistency speaks even more clearly about how little they understand the topic- Firstly Christchurch isn't Auckland... not even remotely. Secondly, the success on the field isn't the precursor! It's off it! If fact it's actually more emphatic that the success and popularity of the Warriors off the field has been in spite of success on it! Screams- more Rugby league now!

Lastly:
HAVING 2 TEAMS IN NEW ZEALAND DOUBLES THE CHANCE OF SUCCESS IN NEW ZEALAND!!

The Warriors are worried they could be second.. after all Storm won the comp in their second year.

flippikat

Bench
I highly doubt nz2 will be club 18 so its more likely 6-8 years clear air till nz2 comes in.
The only option out of the most commonly raised ones for team 18 that I "highly doubt" is Brisbane 3.

Some kinda PNG club, NZ 2, Perth and the Bears (in some way) are the options really jostling for that spot IMO.. and it could go to any of those, depending on the priorities of the NRL.

Canard

Immortal
If we wait for warriors to have a run of success it could be a very long wait going on past performances!
Success just isn't on-field though, its more then off field.

Its crowds, its financial viability etc. And the Warriors have shown that NZ's appetite for Rugby League is very fickle.

I think NZ2 is definitely worth thinking about, but no expansion side should be at the expense of an existing one.

jim_57

Staff member
He is a coach but he probably isn’t going to say something that doesn’t line up with what the owners & board think. For that matter hasn’t the Warriors owner said something similar?

Assuming a South Island team is in the box seat it would have minimal effect on the Warriors. Assuming they set up junior teams and pathways from day one it double the amount of juniors playing high level RL in NZ.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Success just isn't on-field though, its more then off field.

Its crowds, its financial viability etc. And the Warriors have shown that NZ's appetite for Rugby League is very fickle.

I think NZ2 is definitely worth thinking about, but no expansion side should be at the expense of an existing one.
Christchurch wouldnt effect warriors crowds, maybe main sponsors competition but that is the NRL job to determine if there is enough corporate support in NZ to sustain 2 clubs. Maybe a bit of loss in out of town memberships and warripors merch sales from south island but wouldnt have thought that would be huge sums of money?

I suspect Warriors concerns are player related and no longer having whole country of jnrs to themselves, not that it is the case anyway given the number that head to Australia.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He is a coach but he probably isn’t going to say something that doesn’t line up with what the owners & board think. For that matter hasn’t the Warriors owner said something similar?

Assuming a South Island team is in the box seat it would have minimal effect on the Warriors. Assuming they set up junior teams and pathways from day one it double the amount of juniors playing high level RL in NZ.
NZRL and Warriors Chairman also have spoken against it in the past, though the chairman was more about timing than an outright never.

jim_57

Staff member
Christchurch wouldnt effect warriors crowds, maybe main sponsors competition but that is the NRL job to determine if there is enough corporate support in NZ to sustain 2 clubs. Maybe a bit of loss in out of town memberships and warripors merch sales from south island but wouldnt have thought that would be huge sums of money?

I suspect Warriors concerns are player related and no longer having whole country of jnrs to themselves, not that it is the case anyway given the number that head to Australia.

If NZ2 can run teams in the NSW junior comps like the Warriors do sure it will create competition for the best juniors, but it will also double the amount of juniors playing RL at a higher level in NZ.

Very likely the best juniors in Auckland and surrounds stick with the Warriors instead of relocating anyway, do Warriors have many juniors from Wellington and the South Island?

final say

Juniors
If NZ2 can run teams in the NSW junior comps like the Warriors do sure it will create competition for the best juniors, but it will also double the amount of juniors playing RL at a higher level in NZ.

Very likely the best juniors in Auckland and surrounds stick with the Warriors instead of relocating anyway, do Warriors have many juniors from Wellington and the South Island?
I think the South Island ( Canterbury) has a deal with the Canterbury Bulldogs if I remember correctly.
From the South Island it wouldn't be any different Going to Auckland or Australia, still a flight And Australia is preferred to Auckland.
If the South Island gets a team the juniors will explode on the already high recent gains.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think the South Island ( Canterbury) has a deal with the Canterbury Bulldogs if I remember correctly.
From the South Island it wouldn't be any different Going to Auckland or Australia, still a flight And Australia is preferred to Auckland.
If the South Island gets a team the juniors will explode on the already high recent gains.
Bulldogs, Manly and Melbourne all scout in the south Island especially.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

Was gonna mention this. The club owner said the same to pretty recently. Webster is just singing from the same hymn book.

Matua

Bench
Going from Chch to Oz is way different than the flight from Chch to Auckland.

If you're going to do this type of overblown type of posting can you do it on the NZ2 thread so we can keep this one as a place of serious discussion?

final say

Juniors
Going from Chch to Oz is way different than the flight from Chch to Auckland.

If you're going to do this type of overblown type of posting can you do it on the NZ2 thread so we can keep this one as a place of serious discussion?
I'm from Christchurch, most of my friends and family would agree that we'd much prefer to board a flight to pretty much anywhere in Australia then Auckland. Seriously.

Matua

Bench
I'm from Christchurch, most of my friends and family would agree that we'd much prefer to board a flight to pretty much anywhere in Australia then Auckland. Seriously.
Bahaha, so let's say I believed you're from Chch (I don't) are you really trying to claim a 3 and a half hour flight, including arrival at airport and waiting, clearing customs at both ends is the same as rocking up for a flight to Auckland?

final say

Juniors
Bahaha, so let's say I believed you're from Chch (I don't) are you really trying to claim a 3 and a half hour flight, including arrival at airport and waiting, clearing customs at both ends is the same as rocking up for a flight to Auckland?
Are we even talking about the same thing?
Taking up a contract to play and live.. a couple hours and a hundred bucks every so often ( once a month maybe) to see family is negligible.
Small peanuts to not live in Auckland!
I'd rather steer clear of the North Island all together tbh.
I haven't been back for about 10 years, so maybe I'm missing something? Shit hole full of bikies?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I haven't been back for about 10 years, so maybe I'm missing something? Shit hole full of bikies?
No, and outside of a few smaller towns it’s never been that.
Cantabrians have this weird phobia about the North Island, like the entire place is straight out of Once Were Warriors (except Auckland is somehow simultaneously populated by stuck up yuppies)

Matiunz

Juniors
No, and outside of a few smaller towns it’s never been that.
Cantabrians have this weird phobia about the North Island, like the entire place is straight out of Once Were Warriors (except Auckland is somehow simultaneously populated by stuck up yuppies)
Yeah I didn’t even know Cantabrians hated north Islanders until the first time I went to Christchurch as a kid and all they could do once they found out I was a North islander was shit on it (none had ever been of course). After that and quite a few I’ve met since, I was more than happy for them to stay there playing their Banjos and Marrying their cousins ;)

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah I didn’t even know Cantabrians hated north Islanders until the first time I went to Christchurch as a kid and all they could do once they found out I was a North islander was shit on it (none had ever been of course). After that and quite a few I’ve met since, I was more than happy for them to stay there playing their Banjos and Marrying their cousins ;)
Little brother syndrome, same as the way a lot of kiwis take shitting on Aussies way too far.

Latest posts