What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldogs attack Saints over perceived "lock-out" at Kogarah

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
THE Bulldogs have attacked St George Illawarra for not moving Friday night's blockbuster from WIN Jubilee Stadium, where a sellout crowd is expected to leave thousands of fans stranded in their loungerooms.
Dogs chief executive Todd Greenberg believes the season's biggest clash is capable of attracting up to 40,000 people - double the capacity of suburban WIN Jubilee Stadium.
But Dragons opposite Peter Doust is sticking with the Kogarah venue - in the process sacrificing a potential $200,000 bounty of additional ticket sales alone.
Both ANZ Stadium and the SFS were prepared to host the top-of-the-table clash, for which only 3000 tickets now remain available.
A livid Greenberg last night hit out on behalf of Bulldogs fans, who he believes will be locked out of 2009's most- anticipated game.
"We've got to play the right games at the right locations and this is a perfect example of playing the wrong game at the wrong location," Greenberg said.
"In such tough economic times, our game can't afford to turn people away.
"We are going to lock out around 20,000 fans and I can't understand that at all.
"From the feedback we're getting in the office, we suspect there's going to be a lot of Bulldogs fans locked out of this game.
"They'll have to sit back in their loungerooms or go to the leagues club because they can't get in.
"That can't be a good sign for a game that's looking to build its crowds."
Greenberg said he had no preference for an alternative venue, despite the fact ANZ Stadium is his club's home ground.
"I'd be equally happy if the game were moved to the SFS," he said. "It should be played at a venue capable of accommodating more fans and generating more revenue for the game. The players
deserve to play in front of a bigger crowd and I think a lot of families have reservations about sitting on the hill at night."
Doust's loyalty will please hardcore Dragons fans, who demanded the team's return to Kogarah after an unsuccessful move to Homebush last year.
He refused to comment last night, instead directing The Daily Telegraph to a statement released last Friday.
"Whilst it may be commercially advantageous to host our game against the Bulldogs in a larger venue, this is not something we have contemplated," Doust's statement read.
"Returning all our home games to our local communities has been a key initiative for us this year and it has thus far been rewarding for our bottom line and for the players who have thrived on the support from the red and white faithful."
Doust also argued the "commitment" to split home games entirely between Kogarah and Wollongong had helped boost membership beyond 10,000.
Greenberg said he would like to see the NRL have the ability to determine scheduling, enabling league boss David Gallop to move marquee games to bigger venues.
The AFL has the power to dictate where games are played, but Gallop last night said rugby league did not enjoy the same relationships with its stadiums.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25465458-5001023,00.html

Gotta be honest, I don't 100% agree with Todd. From a business perspective it's stupid to keep it at Jubilee, but there's far more sentiment involved and the match day experience for everyone will be second-to-none. Leave it as is.

Timmah

Staff member
...having said that, didn't the Saints criticise the Tigers for not allowing a semi-final to be moved to accommodate more people from SFS to ANZ?

Timmah

Staff member
Reminds me of the Broncos/Titans and Suncorp drama that took place last year.

Xplosive

Juniors
Wrong Mr Greenburg, your an awesome ceo but this time you are wrong.
Leave it where it is, the subrban atmosphere will bring the best out of the players

LeagueNut

First Grade
They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Any change of venue would have seen them hammered for ignoring their heritage or something like that.

Canard

Immortal
40,000!! Would that not be one of the all time record crowds for a Sydney home game in the modern era??

I assume that is an over exaggeration.

mongoose

Coach
THE Bulldogs have attacked St George Illawarra for not moving Friday night's blockbuster from WIN Jubilee Stadium, where a sellout crowd is expected to leave thousands of fans stranded in their loungerooms.
Dogs chief executive Todd Greenberg believes the season's biggest clash is capable of attracting up to 40,000 people - double the capacity of suburban WIN Jubilee Stadium.
But Dragons opposite Peter Doust is sticking with the Kogarah venue - in the process sacrificing a potential $200,000 bounty of additional ticket sales alone.
Both ANZ Stadium and the SFS were prepared to host the top-of-the-table clash, for which only 3000 tickets now remain available.
A livid Greenberg last night hit out on behalf of Bulldogs fans, who he believes will be locked out of 2009's most- anticipated game.
"We've got to play the right games at the right locations and this is a perfect example of playing the wrong game at the wrong location," Greenberg said.
"In such tough economic times, our game can't afford to turn people away.
"We are going to lock out around 20,000 fans and I can't understand that at all.
"From the feedback we're getting in the office, we suspect there's going to be a lot of Bulldogs fans locked out of this game.
"They'll have to sit back in their loungerooms or go to the leagues club because they can't get in.
"That can't be a good sign for a game that's looking to build its crowds."
Greenberg said he had no preference for an alternative venue, despite the fact ANZ Stadium is his club's home ground.
"I'd be equally happy if the game were moved to the SFS," he said. "It should be played at a venue capable of accommodating more fans and generating more revenue for the game. The players
deserve to play in front of a bigger crowd and I think a lot of families have reservations about sitting on the hill at night."
Doust's loyalty will please hardcore Dragons fans, who demanded the team's return to Kogarah after an unsuccessful move to Homebush last year.
He refused to comment last night, instead directing The Daily Telegraph to a statement released last Friday.
"Whilst it may be commercially advantageous to host our game against the Bulldogs in a larger venue, this is not something we have contemplated," Doust's statement read.
"Returning all our home games to our local communities has been a key initiative for us this year and it has thus far been rewarding for our bottom line and for the players who have thrived on the support from the red and white faithful."
Doust also argued the "commitment" to split home games entirely between Kogarah and Wollongong had helped boost membership beyond 10,000.
Greenberg said he would like to see the NRL have the ability to determine scheduling, enabling league boss David Gallop to move marquee games to bigger venues.
The AFL has the power to dictate where games are played, but Gallop last night said rugby league did not enjoy the same relationships with its stadiums.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25465458-5001023,00.html

Gotta be honest, I don't 100% agree with Todd. From a business perspective it's stupid to keep it at Jubilee, but there's far more sentiment involved and the match day experience for everyone will be second-to-none. Leave it as is.

Getting a potential 40,000 to a game is more important than sentiment. Doust is a douche.

...having said that, didn't the Saints criticise the Tigers for not allowing a semi-final to be moved to accommodate more people from SFS to ANZ?

Um... no! Try the other way around.

Meanwhile,

Dear Bulldogs,

We won't:
a) Cause a massive logistical headache moving a game at the last minute,
b) Make it much harder for our fans to get to the game,
c) Give up true home ground advantage,
d) Renege on promises made to fans and corporate partners,
e) Damage our very succesful membership program,
f) Jeopardise our case for future government grants.

to accomodate a few more fans who weren't interested in the game enough to buy tickets early.

bullsh*t predictions like a 40,000 crowd do not help the case. No doubt the crowd would be bigger, but rubbish like that only damages the credibility of the case.

Kind regards,
Saints

Brycey

Juniors
Good on the Dragons for sticking to their guns and repaying the people of Kograh for their patience over the last few years.

who cares about the bulldogs fans, its a dragons home game. Good on Doust for standing true for Kogarah

I agree with you dragonfire. you want more home fans than away fans at the gam (ala Parra vs Bulldogs). The small grounds are apart of what make rugby League great.

dragondad

First Grade
This is heritage round give me a break,I for one cannot wait for the 21000 sell out crowd on Friday night.A packed out suburban ground and if you can't get in,then tough titties you should have got your tickets early.

carcharias

Immortal
Don't worry dogs...Sharkies will play you at sfs if you want.

Illawarra and Bulldogs in the gong...now that is a cracking heritage game.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Both ANZ Stadium and the SFS were prepared to host the top-of-the-table clash

I'm sure ANZ would want to host a doggies "away game"

how very noble of them

Loudstrat

Coach
If it was Queensland they'd want the game moved to a stadium where LESS fans can go.

Good on ya St George. :clap:

BTW the Dogs/Wests game at ANZ was also supposed to jag 40k Mr Greenburg.

Where is everyone pulling 40k crowds from? At Jubilee it should be packed in with about 20k and at the SFS it would get maybe 25K imo. As I said in another thread, Good on Doust for growing a pair and saying no. F*ck the bulldogs supporters who miss out. It's our home game ffs!