What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldogs Confirmed Signings & Contract News

Bulldog Force

Referee
Might as well get this out there. This was on the footy show this morning. Greenberg said Willie Mason WILL NOT be coming back to Belmore. In some other news, he also said that the transfer fee for Greg Eastwood to come back to the NRL is too much and we can't afford it. Get this, he said he's not ruling Reni Maitua out for a possible return to the Bulldogs. He also said he's not ruling him in, but he's not ruling him out either. That will be a bad move IMO. He's broken the rules before and had to be made an example of. We cannot and should not soften up our policy on players playing up (excuse the pun). Also, considering he threatened to take legal action against the club doesn't win me over in anyway. This club is more than just a sporting franchise, it's a way of life.

Gigolo

Juniors
Eastwood is a gun and will make a huge difference but we need another backrower and a centre. We lack pace and should watch the Gold Coast situation closely. If Inglis joins them we should make a move on Kevin Gordon or David Mead as they may become available.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I think Idris is the grey part here. If Idris/Morris continue as our centre combination we won't need another centre. As for the wings, well Goodwin has pretty much secured his spot and one would think Turner has aswell.

Gigolo

Juniors
I think if Idris can improve his fitness over summer he should be in the backrow as he can offer a lot more to us there.

His defence has improved and I put that down to his fitness improving by doing more work in the centre of the field.

We need some depth at centre, when someone is injured guys like Neumann and Winitana are not adequate back up. I'd rather we sign somebody of note there and push Idris to the forwards so we have some punch. With him and Eastwood there we will be far more dangerous in attack.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Someone at work mentioned that you guys had signed Eastwood and Blair they heard it on 2ky this morning, any truth in that...

Bulldog Force

Referee
Someone at work mentioned that you guys had signed Eastwood and Blair they heard it on 2ky this morning, any truth in that...
No truth to that. Greenberg said we're not going to pay the Transfer fee for Eastwood. I haven't heard anything at all about Blair - must be another rumor!

MatthewA

Juniors
Bulldogs Force, Greenberg didn't exactly say we wouldn't agree to the transfer fee and wouldn't be signing him.. He said they want him back but have to work out a deal with Leeds.

It's my understanding that he's signed for 3 years and hopefully that comes to fruition.

Bulldog Force

Referee
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...-at-eastwood-transfer-fee-20100729-10y0i.html

Dogs baulk at Eastwood transfer fee

GREG EASTWOOD is set to return to the NRL next season after securing an early release from Leeds - but a $175,000 transfer fee being demanded by his English club has Canterbury, his former team, baulking.
While agreeing to place him on the transfer market, the Rhinos are playing hardball with the large transfer settlement demand, which clearly shocked Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg. The Bulldogs have long been linked to a return by Eastwood, a key member of their run to the preliminary final last year.
Eastwood, a New Zealander, joined the club while he waited for a visa wrangle to resolve so he could join Leeds.
GREG EASTWOOD is set to return to the NRL next season after securing an early release from Leeds - but a $175,000 transfer fee being demanded by his English club has Canterbury, his former team, baulking.
While agreeing to place him on the transfer market, the Rhinos are playing hardball with the large transfer settlement demand, which clearly shocked Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg. The Bulldogs have long been linked to a return by Eastwood, a key member of their run to the preliminary final last year.
Eastwood, a New Zealander, joined the club while he waited for a visa wrangle to resolve so he could join Leeds.
Advertisement: Story continues below
However he has failed to settle in the north of England and Leeds, the Super League champions, will reluctantly release him from the final two years of his current deal - at a substantial price.
Greenberg last night said he would not be willing to pay such a fee.
''Certainly not,'' Greenberg said. ''Last time I looked, we're not the Commonwealth Bank. As much as we'd like to have him, we can't afford those sorts of transfers.''
An option, potentially, would be for the Bulldogs to absorb some of the transfer fee but the rest to be paid by Eastwood himself, given he is desperate to return.
The Bulldogs are used to negotiating these sorts of deals. They demanded the Warriors pay $2m to allow Sonny Bill Williams to play for the New Zealand club and also negotiated compensation for losing prop Ben Hannant to Brisbane.
Eastwood, a former Bronco, has had a succession of injuries, but wants to return home primarily to be closer to his family. North Queensland have been searching for back-row talent after losing Luke O'Donnell to Huddersfield, while Newcastle, Cronulla and the Warriors could also be homes for the Kiwi.
Eastwood said in a statement: ''Unfortunately I have found it tough without my family here in the UK and that is the only reason that I want to return to the NRL. I would not go to another club in Super League but hopefully somebody will give me a chance in Australia.''

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
This looks like a re-hash of an article written over a week ago? Nothing new there.

EDIT: looks like it's dated from over a week ago :lol:

Bulldog Force

Referee
Looks like Greg Eastwood will be coming back now as Reni Maitua will not be offered a contract by the club. Good move IMO.

MatthewA

Juniors
http://www.nospam23.com.au/articles/2010/08/25/pritchard-signs-on-with-the-bulldogs/

After weeks of speculation over the future of Penrith second-rower Frank Pritchard, nospam23.com.au can reveal he will be a Bulldog next season.

The 26-year-old will sign a three-year deal with Canterbury
which will see him at the club until the end of 2013.

Pritchard's manager David Riolo was contacted for comment but refused to discuss the deal, neither confirming or denying it.

However nospam23.com.au understands the deal is done, with the New Zealand international signing with the blue and white seven years after he debuted for Penrith.

Pritchard has played 17 games for the Panthers this season, and despite interest from the new Super 15 rugby union franchise in Melbourne, he will remain with the 13 man code.

And confirmation from Penrith...

http://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/d...id=29515&title=pritchard-to-leave-panthersCEO

Michael Leary has today confirmed reports of second rower Frank Pritchard leaving the Panthers at the end of the 2010 season.

"The Panthers made quite a competitive and substantial offer to Frank in re-negotiating his contract. Unfortunately Frank has decided to take up and offer with the Bulldogs and we wish him the best."

Timmah

Staff member
You'll find that LeagueUnlimited.com has the news before "sports news first":

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=19869

The second row stocks of the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have received a huge boost with Kiwi star Frank Pritchard signing a three year deal.

Coach Kevin Moore says the Club is delighted to have secured the services of one of the most devastating forwards in the NRL.

“Frank has got size, he's got speed, he's got strength and is a player that has a great impact on games. We're thrilled that we'll be able to welcome him to the Bulldogs next year,” Moore said.

“In the past couple of seasons we've lost several of our senior players and I'm expecting Frank will step up to take a leadership role within our team.”

Pritchard, 26, has played 141 first grade games since making his debut for the Penrith Panthers in 2003 and has been a mainstay of the New Zealand side since 2005.

Timmah

Staff member
You'll also find that we have a signings thread. Merged :)

Bulldog Force

Referee
Well... I can't say I'm too happy about this. This would almost certainly mean that we won't be getting Greg Eastwood then right?

Timmah

Staff member
Not at all, they just need to kick Leeds in the nuts and run away with Greg without paying the transfer fee :sarcasm:

Ridders

Coach
Ooh I like it. While Pritchard is a classic tease, let's hope we can get the best out of him. Our 2nd phase play got a hell of alot better for next season