What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BULLDOGS GO WEST

mightybears

Bench
and the reds 'died' because news scum needed players for their melbourne franchise as john ribot de bastard's 40 pieces of silver/reward for helping to deliver the game to the evil empire

t-ba

Post Whore
The Reds were poorly managed.Nothing more, nothing less. Had they had an effective business plan in place instead of the shambles they did, Perth Would be (To a much lesser extent) the Brisbane of the AFL Cities...

parra_princess

Juniors
Woohoo - This is great news for League!

A lot of clubs have shifted a few home games to others areas of NZ and who knows what this trial might be the start of? I think it's a wise move to play a trial there and I congratulate the Dogs for doing their bit and testing the waters. Especially given that the Bulldogs have been one one of the more consistantly competitive sides of 2004. I guess if the game is poorly received no harm is done, it's only a trial but if the game draws a good enough crowd who knows???

Anonymous

Juniors
Well done to the dogs. Brilliant work. That's what should be done to begin to establish a presence in the area. I heard they were interesting in playing south oz as well?

t-ba the hutt said:
The Reds were poorly managed.Nothing more, nothing less. Had they had an effective business plan in place instead of the shambles they did, Perth Would be (To a much lesser extent) the Brisbane of the AFL Cities...

Seasons the Reds existed...

1995, 1996, 1997.

Yeah you're right. It's not like they weren't given plenty of time or anything thing. :roll:
And that Super League war thing should of been a great way to market the code. ](*,)

dimitri

First Grade
exactly right

the only thing stopping perth and adelaide from becoming overnight successes was super league

:evil: :evil: :evil:

iggy plop

First Grade
nqboy said:
From smh.com.au today

If they lose to Melbourne on Sunday, the Bulldogs' next match is likely to be in Perth after confirmation the club would play a pre-season trial against South Sydney there in February. There will also be a premiership match in Perth between Cronulla and either the Warriors or Melbourne in round five or six of next season's competition.

Finally, some clubs having the balls to promote the game in emerging markets. Well done to the Dogs and the Bunnies :clap: :clap: :clap:

It just sounds weird talking about promoting the game in Perth again as if it's something new.

Super League f**ked up a very promising team and area for RL over there. We had a perth team.

Going round and round in circles it seems.

Misanthrope

Staff member
DogE said:
Rugby league never worked in Perth the first time round....

Odd, from memory, the Western Reds had better crowds than a lot of other clubs, particularly the Sydney ones.

Nuke

Staff member
Since the Reds were cut at the end of 1997, Perth has only had one NRL match - Melbourne Vs. Western Suburbs in May 1999.

In the next 15 months or so, Perth has (at least) 4 events coming up:
* Wests Tigers u-18's development squad vs. WA u-18's (a curtain-raiser for WA vs. QLD Residents), 24th September '04, George Burnett Park (Sth Perth).
* South Sydney vs. Canterbury, 26th February '05, MembersEquity Stadium.
* Cronulla vs. NZ Warriors, round 6/7/8/9/10 (one of 'em!), MembersEquity Stadium.
* Brisbane Broncos training/coaching clinic, summer 2005-06.

Trust me, us League fans in Perth are just ecstatic to have a game, let alone two (and the possibility of a third). Yes, the Bulldogs scandal was headline news over here, but unless the WARL get off their arses and promote the upcoming games, no-one outside League circles here in Perth will even know they're here. Unless (heaven forbid) it happens again ...

:lol: Can you imagine the state of the hotel after Souths and the Bulldogs have gone? Neither team has exactly a good reputation when it comes to hotel rooms! :lol: Only kidding Rabbits and Doggies fans, may the dark past stay well in the past.

Look out Burswood Resort!!!

nqboy

First Grade
Thanks for the info Nuke. Good luck with the promotions.

And c'mon NRL, get off your arses and give them a hand.

From what i've heard, Members Equity Stadium is ideal for Rugby League. Rectangular and a 20,000 capacity. I think in several years, with more games, plenty of promotion and tv coverage, Perth will look very enticing as a relocation option for some teams.

Dog-E

Juniors
chriswalkerbush said:
DogE said:
Rugby league never worked in Perth the first time round....

Odd, from memory, the Western Reds had better crowds than a lot of other clubs, particularly the Sydney ones.

Possibly...the figures would be on stats.rleague.com no doubt, but i cant be @rsed checking...

That's why there HAS to be more to it than just the rather tepid "We can't afford to/don't want to fly there, even though our airfares are being paid!" line!

And I'm not talking of some the crackpot Bears' fans' theories - as above - and seemingly in ANY thread where any ex-SuperLeague clubs are being talked about even vaguely - that SuperLeaguers actually did EVERYTHING evil in this world - bar being guilty of building a time machine to go back to start WWII as a News Ltd plot - They're getting ever crazier and less lucid as the months roll by! :roll: