What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldogs sponsor vents fury at David Gallop

Bulldogs sponsor vents fury at David Gallop

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-at-david-gallop/story-e6frexnr-1225859626322
IT MIGHT just turn out to be the most expensive open letter in the history of rugby league.

Bulldogs sponsor Gary Johnston yesterday spent tens of thousands of dollars taking out a full-page advertisement in The Daily Telegraph, calling for David Gallop to be sacked. Owner of electronics giant Jaycar, the private jet owner has demanded Gallop "reconsider" his decision to ban Melbourne Storm from earning competition points this year or "leave" the game.
Fired up: See the ad here

Opening the letter with "Not happy David", the multi-millionaire business owner berates Gallop for his handling of the affair and signs off by asking fans to contact him with the promise of taking out another add should he garner enough support.

"I'm just asking him to reconsider his silly decision," Johnston said.

"I am asking him to allow them [Storm] to get points or resign.

"It is not his decision to make. He doesn't own the game. He didn't consult with the NRL board and I think he is operating outside his brief, to be quite honest."

Gallop was last night standing firm as Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg distanced himself from his sponsor's remarks. "It's certainly not the position of his club," Gallop said.

"Todd Greenberg has made that clear to us. I'd be surprised if Bulldogs fans agreed, we remain of the clear view that this was the fairest of solution to fans and players from all clubs when the game was faced with a very challenging problem."

Johnston said his love of the game prompted him to take out the extraordinary advertisement.

"I am a supporter," Johnston said.

"I love the game and I am a bloke that can afford to take out a page in the paper. I mean Gallop just isn't listening to the feedback he is getting. He has just been deflecting the criticism. I think the salary cap system has some good ideas but it needs to be reviewed to stop the pressure that these club managers are under to get around it."

Greenberg said he did not support his major sponsor's comments.

"The Bulldogs strongly endorse the actions taken by David Gallop against the Storm," Greenberg said.

"He is aware of our support. Jaycar and Gary have a different position and we have agreed to disagree. Passion for the game is one of rugb

http://resources.news.com.au/files/2010/04/29/1225859/683081-dtfille-bulldogs-ad.pdf

AN OPEN LETTER TO DAVID GALLOP.
NOT HAPPY, DAVID.

When Melbourne’s salary cap rort was discovered, many of us anticipated your previously
demonstrated crisis management skills to snap into action. To a large extent t his has happened.
However, I was astonished to hear then that you capped of f Melbourne’s punishment with this
requirement to expect Melbourne to play for the rest of the year for no points !
As you know there has been an outcry about this from both the media and the public. You were
asked by Ray Warren on the 2MMM Saturday morning football segment who else made this
decision. You appeared to be total ly unreceptive. It now appears that you made this decision
without the NRL Board being included.
You were roundly criticized by Ray Warren at the time. He called the idea “absurd.” Phil Gould and
others have more or less said the same thing.
So far you have obstinately refused to even consider well thought out practical alternatives to this
Which is a shame as you are an otherwise good administrator.
This debacle has been brought about by the unrealist ic rules of the salary cap which you have at
all times staunchly defended. It’s a good idea but needs far more work, work which you do not
seem to think necessary.
By taking the position you have you are going to ensure the hatred of the Melbourne fans and
other lovers of fair play and leave a legacy that you do not deser ve. It takes the focus off
Melbourne’s crime and puts it on YOU.
Do you really want to be remembered for this?
PLEASE RECONSIDER OR LEAVE.

Gary Johnston,
Managing Director
Jaycar Electronics Group

This ad has been written and paid for by Gary Johnston, a lover of the game. Like many Rugby League supporters, I am outraged by
Gallop’s inflexible attitude. He does not own the game but is acting like he does. The game is owned by the fans, past, present and future.
Unfortunately most fans have been shut out of this decision.
If you want to add your supporting voice to mine, please email me on gjohnston @jaycar.com.au and I will consider placing the ad again on
your behalf.
I don’t endorse what Melbourne did but I love watching the football they play!

voltron

Juniors
lame
sponsors trying to weigh into the argument
just mucking up the waters even more

Loudstrat

Coach
Geez Canterbury, ya just cannot seperate yourselves from a salary cap scandal, can you!

Anyway, I lust realised I have rendered his financial commitment to Rugby League as utterly useless. Every time I saw "Jaycar" I thought of caravans!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good on him for syaing what many, many of us are thinking. It was a bad decision and should be thought about and a better outcome found. How hard would it have been for the NRL to insist on seeing players real salaries and then the Storm cutting those players from this years roster to get them under the cap and allow them to play meaningful fixtures? The cut players could have been Loaned out to other clubs that had cap space.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Good on him for syaing what many, many of us are thinking. It was a bad decision and should be thought about and a better outcome found. How hard would it have been for the NRL to insist on seeing players real salaries and then the Storm cutting those players from this years roster to get them under the cap and allow them to play meaningful fixtures? The cut players could have been Loaned out to other clubs that had cap space.

How's that fair on teams that don't have cap space though? And even those under the cap couldn't afford an Inglis/Cronk/Smith this year.

Noa

First Grade
How's that fair on teams that don't have cap space though? And even those under the cap couldn't afford an Inglis/Cronk/Smith this year.

Make the Storm pay for them (well not them 3 exactly), at least for this year. Has happened plenty of times before.

Perth Red

Post Whore
don't see whay it would be unfair on other clubs, at least everyone is back on a level playing field (ha yeh right!). Might be hard to find clubs with $700k left on their cap, or some part of, but at the moment the decison seems to have been made to protect the Storm players not the integrity of the competition. imo the comp should come first everytime.

Dazraider

Juniors
I dont understand why people are trying to be soft wit hmelbourne, they are cheats and badluck if they cant win the comp this year, THEY CHEATED.
Its like the death penalty if you kill someone then you should be killed and thats why our goverment is too soft cause we try and help the criminals instead of punishing them.
If a team takes the risk its their own fault to cop what comes with it and if your soft on the decision then more sides will go way over the cap cause they wont worry about what will happen to them.
Players still have plenty to play for, state of origin,playing for your country and plaing to form so if you have to move on yoiu want to show that you give your best even when the comp dont matter to you.
Melbourne are cheats and I agree with Gallop you cant be soft you have to be hard

skeepe

Immortal
Well that was a big brain explosion. No Jaycar for me anymore, same goes for any company that publicly supports cheating.

If they get under the cap and have all points stripped that were earned while over any reasonable person would not have a problem with them getting points.......

Inside Barons head delusions of Grandeur like the Knights signing Greg Inglis, Cooper Cronk and Jeff Lima go hay wire......

Perth Red

Post Whore
For me this isn't about Melbourne, it's about the integrity of the competition and having a team in it that isn't actually in it is ridiculous and could have all sorts of impacts for other teams.

They should have either kicked them out for the season (which they couldn't) or found a way to get them back under the cap so they are playing meaningful fixtures, for the sake of the integrity of the competition, not the Melbourne Storm.

Jose93

Juniors
At last, someone other than Phil Gould is willing to speak out and attack David Gallop's "absurd decision." Why can't some people see what a problem Gallop is in his own right?

butchmcdick

Post Whore
I don't get what the sponsor is attempting to do here, what his goal is ?

To attempt to publically shame the ceo of the NRL ? How does he think this will pan out for him, the dogs and the storm ? I can imagine his reaction if some obscure person took out full page ads critisising him and his business decisions in a newspaper.

Guvner

First Grade
What a tool. Another loudmouth full of criticism but without any alternative answers. Next time you want to waste money looking like a fool just come and see me Mr. Jaycar.

Latest posts