What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burt and Reddy

Eels Dude

Coach
All truely remarkable plays :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy: . You want me to give u examples of where wingers have chased kicks and scored over the years? You got me mate, I can't. Clearly no other winger in the comp could do that.

No i want specific examples of wingers in specific games who've chased down clearing kicks from halfway and scored off them? It rarely happens. You asked me to provide you examples and I did, now you do the same. It's a pretty simple request, so either give some specific examples or just go back and hide in your cave.

No i want specific examples of wingers in specific games who've chased down clearing kicks from halfway and scored off them? It rarely happens. You asked me to provide you examples and I did, now you do the same. It's a pretty simple request, so either give some specific examples or just go back and hide in your cave.

I haven't stored them in my bat bank bro, but i'm sure i could get you an example every couple of weeks. It rarely happens because fullbacks usually show more effort. Out of curiosity where are Sammut and Wesser playing now?

The top 2 trys 'no other winger in the game can score ' are from lack of effort from opposition fullbacks and Luke Burt chasing the kick. I actually remember thinking why didn't he chase every kick like that? the answer , if the fullback clean it up like he's supposed to Burt wouldn't be able to tackle him.

Eels Dude

Coach
I haven't stored them in my bat bank bro, but i'm sure i could get you an example every couple of weeks. It rarely happens because fullbacks usually show more effort. Out of curiosity where are Sammut and Wesser playing now?

The top 2 trys 'no other winger in the game can score ' are from lack of effort from opposition fullbacks and Luke Burt chasing the kick. I actually remember thinking why didn't he chase every kick like that? the answer , if the fullback clean it up like he's supposed to Burt wouldn't be able to tackle him.

Yeah fullbacks often do, but my point is Burt had the perception to notice they were being a bit slow so sprinted from halfway to take advantage of that. Most wingers don't have that insight.

Your second point is irrelevent if Burt is playing winger in defence.

Yeah fullbacks often do, but my point is Burt had the perception to notice they were being a bit slow so sprinted from halfway to take advantage of that. Most wingers don't have that insight.

Your second point is irrelevent if Burt is playing winger in defence.

No doubt perception and smarts are the key to Burt , and what have enabled him to survive for 10+ years in 1st grade . Its certainly not putting his body on the line, defence , speed, strength or work rate that have enabled him to stay this long is it?

All i'm saying, this is the year Burt should be told thank you for your service , we're going in a different direction. i.e it's time we developed a new culture where by putting in our best effort every weekend and doing whatever it takes to get the job done are key to being in the side. A 200 game club record holder doesnt deserve the indignity of being told to play for Wenthworthville.

Admitedly he is a reliable goal kicker , but the wingers in the game today offer so much more than him. As i said, its the key to starting your sets, u need to know when to hold and when to fold so to speak in defence, and when u make a decision to jam in u have to put ur body on the line, defuse bombs, help out the forwards who have tackled their backside off getting out from their own end. Some games he has 3 runs and 1 tackle. He is the poster boy of the culture that has left our club behind in my opinion. He is over valued by our club and the fans for what he offers on the field.

Last edited:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Burt backs coach on New Zealand duties

Parramatta coach Stephen Kearney's commitments to the New Zealand rugby league team won't be an issue for his NRL club, according to veteran back Luke Burt.

Burt says that in Kearney's absence, Eels training will be led by assistant coaches Peter Sharp and Brad Arthur.

Kearney still has the team's full support according to Burt, despite a slow start to the season.

Parramatta have won only three of eight games so far this year and were smashed 30-0 by St George Illawarra on the weekend.

"We're 100 per cent behind him (Kearney)," Burt said.

"He's a very good coach and he knows what he's talking about. We're the ones out there not winning the matches."

Link: http://nrl.com/burt-backs-coach-on-new-zealand-duties/tabid/10874/newsid/62592/default.aspx

TheParraboy

Staff member
Burt backs coach on New Zealand duties

Parramatta coach Stephen Kearney's commitments to the New Zealand rugby league team won't be an issue for his NRL club, according to veteran back Luke Burt.

Burt says that in Kearney's absence, Eels training will be led by assistant coaches Peter Sharp and Brad Arthur.

Kearney still has the team's full support according to Burt, despite a slow start to the season.

Parramatta have won only three of eight games so far this year and were smashed 30-0 by St George Illawarra on the weekend.

"We're 100 per cent behind him (Kearney)," Burt said.

"He's a very good coach and he knows what he's talking about. We're the ones out there not winning the matches."

Link: http://nrl.com/burt-backs-coach-on-new-zealand-duties/tabid/10874/newsid/62592/default.aspx

Having the bye, Hindy and Morts must have gone away for the week....

Same old same old from our two veteran backline leaders.

Reddy, 5 seasons of first grade, sill comes in when everyone else is sliding out. unbelievable. Also slides on his own goal line. He is a winger playing centre.

Burt. Only reason I knew he played last night was seeing him take shots at goal and his monumentally weak defence. Tell me what other 200+ game 1st grader 'protects' their line like our illustrious immortal did for the cowboys 1st try. Just flat out embarassing and does not possess the mental toughness or consistency in performance that should be the example our young kids in the team aspire too. Quicker we get rid of him the better.

Parra Pride

Referee
Same old same old from our two veteran backline leaders.

Reddy, 5 seasons of first grade, sill comes in when everyone else is sliding out. unbelievable. Also slides on his own goal line. He is a winger playing centre.

Burt. Only reason I knew he played last night was seeing him take shots at goal and his monumentally weak defence. Tell me what other 200+ game 1st grader 'protects' their line like our illustrious immortal did for the cowboys 1st try. Just flat out embarassing and does not possess the mental toughness or consistency in performance that should be the example our young kids in the team aspire too. Quicker we get rid of him the better.

Tell the truth, you're that sefton nuffy, right?

SeftonBoy

Juniors
Tell the truth, you're that sefton nuffy, right?

How many games of footy have you played Parra Pride? I bet none you coward.

Luke Burt is a very average first grader. As per the NRL stats he made 4 runs on Saturday night for 25m gained. Please that is disgraceful. Atkins made 11 runs for 78m gained. The guy doesn't pull his weight. He had one run in the first half & three in the second. Disgusting. No wonder Parramatta can't get themsleves out of trouble when they are under pressure because one of their wingers doesn't put his shoulder to the wheel. He's a fairweather footballer.

Cowboys wingers Ashley Graham 19 runs for 161m gained & FaiFaiLoa 11 runs for 103m gained.

Parra Pride

Referee
How many games of footy have you played Parra Pride? I bet none you coward.

What does the amount of footy games I have played have to do with the fact you are a nuffy who has this weird obsession with attacking Luke Burt at every chance you get?

SeftonBoy

Juniors
It's not an obsession mate but the fact is the guy is well past it & needs to be let go. He's one of the reason why Parramatta don't win games. I'll ask you this would you rather FaiFaiLoa in the side or Burt?

Parra Pride

Referee
There's a problem with that, Fai Fai Loa is not an Eel, I'll ask you this, would you prefer a nuffy like Chirs Walker or Etu Uaisele on the wing, though I guess you would considering your irrational hatred of Burt.

SeftonBoy

Juniors
Burt should have been let go at the end of his last contract & they should have chased a young quality winger not Walker. One point - I don't hate Luke Burt I just think the guy is well past his best & needs to be moved on. I agree with The Schaff if he didn't kick goals you wouldn't have noticed the guy out there.

You must be content with mediocrity & losing.

BTW you still haven't made a comment of Burt's four runs for 25m. That's all he did. Stats don't lie.

yy_cheng

Coach
Sefton Boy, I have never ever been a Burt fan. Too small, too timid. He has an above average football brain and is quite quick.

At present, we don't have a better choice so I am happy to leave him there purely for finishing, Kick goals and occasional freakish plays.

Why:

a) the opposition doesn't bomb to him. If it was me, I would bomb him every chance I get.

b) at present, we don't require a rucking out winger as ETU and Atkins has done well and we don't get trapped in our own end as much. Our forward pack actually goes forward nowadays.

So basically, we can carry and hide him there on the wing.

With Sandow here, both his kicking game and goal kicks will not be as valuable, thus only leaving his finishing skills.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Sefton Boy, I have never ever been a Burt fan. Too small, too timid. He has an above average football brain and is quite kick.

At present, we don't have a better choice so I am happy to leave him there purely for finishing, Kick goals and occasional freakish plays.

Why:

a) the opposition doesn't bomb to him. If it was me, I would bomb him every chance I get.

b) at present, we don't require a rucking out winger as ETU and Atkins has done well and we don't get trapped in our own end as much. Our forward pack actually goes forward nowadays.

So basically, we can carry and hide him there on the wing.

With Sandow here, both his kicking game and goal kicks will not be as valuable, thus only leaving his finishing skills.

Glad you mentioned Etu. He's not popular, but he is pretty handy when it comes to running from dummy-half out of our own end.

yy_cheng

Coach
Glad you mentioned Etu. He's not popular, but he is pretty handy when it comes to running from dummy-half out of our own end.

Hey Eele, I know you are a burty fan but since his terrible leg injury a few years back, he seems shy to catch pressure bombs (he lets them bounce) or goes in hard. I can fully understand that as he is finishing his career and doesn't want a serious injury.

With ETU, I wish he would hit the gym and calories and bulks up to Fui's size.

He has the kamakaze runs and kamakaze hits. He would make a great 2nd rower if he was bigger and would be like Fui (a former winger) who has speed, braveness and if he bulked up size.

He could come on for short stints and rip in ala Fui used to. His wing days are numbered if you ask me.

billy-girl

Juniors
I think most of us realise that stats tell only part of the story.

The games I've seen this year, the opposition have consisently kicked to the other side of the field to Burt - it's awfully hard to be hitting the ball up and giving your forwards a rest if the ball's on the other side of the field. It's bloody stupid to be doing it if you're the size of Burt, and you've got a bloke the size of Loko standing next to you. I'd far rather Burt was at dummy half, making the occasional quick dash (which he does), or passing it straight to Loko.

And just as another thought - forwards get interchanged throughout the game, because they get worn out belting the ball up. That's their job. And there's five of them to do it. Why the hell do we need our entire backline doing it as well?!

I haven't seen the game from the weekend, but listened to it on the radio. They really only had good things to say about Burt. In fact, they wanted two of him in the team - citing his smarts and his committment. For some reason, I'm prepared to view them as a little more impartial than you.

Mind you, they focussed on Reddy's attacking game, and largely glossed over his apparent defensive lapses when talking about him. Either that or the majority of people on here are giving him a seriously hard time over a minor error or two - and who'd believe that? :sarcasm:

Eels Dude

Coach
And just as another thought - forwards get interchanged throughout the game, because they get worn out belting the ball up. That's their job. And there's five of them to do it. Why the hell do we need our entire backline doing it as well?!

Because after the oppositions kicks downfield, it takes time for the forwards to get back onside so normally the first 3 hitups in these positions are quick runs from outside backs out of dummy half. You can only really have 5 hitups from a forward in a set of six if the set is started after a stoppage in play, that is a 20 metre restart, a scrum, or a penalty. If the game is flowing you need your outside backs to take the first few runs in a set because the forwards are all offside.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Hey Eele, I know you are a burty fan but since his terrible leg injury a few years back, he seems shy to catch pressure bombs (he lets them bounce) or goes in hard. I can fully understand that as he is finishing his career and doesn't want a serious injury.

With ETU, I wish he would hit the gym and calories and bulks up to Fui's size.

He has the kamakaze runs and kamakaze hits. He would make a great 2nd rower if he was bigger and would be like Fui (a former winger) who has speed, braveness and if he bulked up size.

He could come on for short stints and rip in ala Fui used to. His wing days are numbered if you ask me.

There is some merit to that idea - Etu runs the ball back very hard. If he trained to play back-row for an off-season and hit the gym, he'd be very valuable.

And I can't disagree regarding Burty's bomb-diffusing skills. It's sad, but true.

Latest posts