What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buy a 5/8

Nuffy

Bench
Whilst I agree in principle from an offensive point of view, if hes playing 5/8 and we have a "normal" half then theres 2 little guys in key positions, where do we hide 2 blokes in defence assuming that no one defends like Joey.

My point is that ideally we need Mullen at half (because its the brains of the outfit) and a bigger genuine 5/8, someone who can play first or second receiver and defend in the line.

Big Tim

First Grade
Warren Ryan hid Joey in his early days.... and that side had Matty Johns, who was hardly a tackling machine.

Most halves are protected by the lock and a centre on the other side of the field. I have no problem with Polly or Doogs playing defence at "5/8", and Reyno or Abes defending at "halfback"

Both our halves would be in the centres, this would give them fair protection from back rowers, and hopefully they have the speed to stick with opposition players when they need to.

Yosh

Coach
Monaghan is a great defender anyway. Would complement Mullen to the core.

As people mentioned above to my understanding, Joey changed the modern halfback. 5/8ths are usually the core to the creativness to a team, halfback just fed him good balls. Mullen is without a doubt a 5/8th with the extra space between him and the defensive line he could do some amazing things.

K-Man

Bench
Mullen is 100% without a doubt a 5/8th. It will be a real shame if the Knights decide he can do it all from halfback long term and keep fiddling around with makeshift 5/8s.

I've said it so many times before, but you only need to look at how much more dangerous we are when Mullen gets the ball wider and with options a) step and run b) short ball for Simpson, Paterson, Newton etc running angles c) longer pass to the centres/wingers.

The point is, having Mullen throw nice crisp passes to the second receiver is a waste, becuase that's where the play is breaking down with Abes, Brown, Kidley etc. We need someone reliable (Monaghan would be perfect) doing this job (accurate passing, solid defender) so that Mullen receives the ball more often at second reciever and is the one making the big plays and throwing the crucial passes.

Mullen is just too good to be wasted guiding the team around the park, passing along the line, kicking downfield etc.

I was stunned and disappointed to hear that we wouldn't even be making Monaghan an offer. I hope it's because there are big wheels in motion and that eventually a master plan is revealed. If not, that's a ridiculous decision not to offer a contract to a player available and keen to be a playmaker, and who has the exact skills and experience we need.

I honestly believe a Mullen/Monaghan combination could take us right to the top.

CJKnight

Juniors
MO #1: Mullen is a natural 5/8 second receiver. He is most damaging out wide with plenty of room to move and time to make a decision on kicks/passes, etc.

MO#2: Although not a big fan of Tim Smith myself, but he is a Parra boy and Brian's little protege'. I would not be surprised to see him come to Newcastle.

MO#3: Although Kidley is competent enough to play some playmaking role, his kicking game is terrible. So we need another playmaker alongside Mullen who can kick too.

MO#4 Monagahn would be my personal choice.

The Devil

Bench
IMO Clinton would be an good buy. He is not past it as some of you believe and do not read into the fact that he is not starting for the panthers.

I've seen quite a few panthers games and in all of the i've seen Clinton take the ball up the way we wish Perry/Woolnough could. Hits the line at speed and is alot better than the more seasoned props here at the club at the moment.

Back on topic, I agree that Mullen is a natural 5/8 and K-Man sums it up well with the options he can have at second receiver.

Alex28

Coach
I'm sure I've read that Tim Smith has said he is staying at Parramatta - plus the Knights have already come out and said they have no interest in Monaghan.

We must have a plan...damned if I know what it is tho...

Frederick

Staff member
Alex28 said:
plus the Knights have already come out and said they have no interest in Monaghan.
I'm hoping that it's a smoke and mirrors kind of thing, kinda like with Tahu and Union, with both parties denying any connection between eachother, and then a few weeks down the track BAM! He's ours for the next 3 years :)

Whats Doing

Bench
The knights need to think outside the square and if we want a big 5/8 with bucket loads of potential, I would be after Jackson Nickalau. He is 187cm and 92 kg and turns 20 this year. He is the 5/8 for the young guns and has played reps for QLD. He is very quick (also plays centre) with a huge sidestep and is also an accomplished goal kicker.

This bloke will play SOO in the years to come for QLD as he is an absolute gun. Mullen and Nickalau, now that would be a combination and would come a lot cheaper than Monaghan.

Yosh

Coach
Alex28 said:
I'm sure I've read that Tim Smith has said he is staying at Parramatta - plus the Knights have already come out and said they have no interest in Monaghan.

We must have a plan...damned if I know what it is tho...[/quote]

Hopefully its not the same as our previous plan, do nothing till the last minute then pay 200k plus for some garbage.

Jono078

Referee
From what I can gather.

Smith is after some forwards who can role forward and also offload and pass well.

I think he beleive if we have good enough forwards Mullen and maybe Walsh will be good enough to take advantage of their dominance on the field.

CJKnight

Juniors
So in other words, Smith is trying to create a forward dominant team to work off? So it doesn't matter what backline we have, as long as we are getting accross the advantage line we're sweet.

K-Man

Bench
I certainly hope that's not the case. We need more depth in the halves, we need more stirke power in the outside backs. We need a lot of things, and not just stronger forwards.

Monaghan would've been perfect, at a price we could afford. There better be a pretty good plan going on behind the scenes.

macavity

Referee
Dobson got dropped this week.

maybe he needs a shoulder to cry on....

(smithy, think you can do that...?)

Holla

Juniors
Nuffy said:
Mullen will be wasted at 5/8, the defensive workload will limit his career.

You obviously have not seen, or even know anything of Jarrod Mullen's past history in the game.
The only time he has wasted anything is in 2007. Taking your best 5/8 for years and turning him into a halfback,{or trying to} that is a huge waste.

K-Man said:
I certainly hope that's not the case. We need more depth in the halves, we need more stirke power in the outside backs. We need a lot of things, and not just stronger forwards.

Monaghan would've been perfect, at a price we could afford. There better be a pretty good plan going on behind the scenes.

Completely agree with the lose of Gidley and Carney and Quinn our backline has zero strikepower.

Panthers under lang tried a forward dominated team and they are still reeling from it.

And totally agree on Mona's at a loss as to why the club isnt even atleast interested.

Big Tim

First Grade
Maybe they arent interested as they are happy with the direction we are going in the halves with Mullo, Walsh, Dureau, Marvin and young Brown in Flegg..... Thats the only thing I can see.

I am very happy with this plan.... but we need another half now. That is what I am worried about.