What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BYE BYE BENJI!

Sincas

Juniors
yappy said:
Hodgo is a fullback. Benji is being groomed as a half. It don't matter who's the best player in the end. The market decides, and the market decides halves are worth more than fullbacks. The market is smarter than you so don't argue. It really is part of the reason why Lockyer now plays in a 6. Bennett simply couldn't justify having so much of his cap tied up in a fullback when it meant he couldn't afford to go out and buy a topline half.

It's like how the big dog gets to eat first. The halves get first crack at the dough, then the front rowers and impact back rowers. Everyone else gets what's left over. If that's not the way the money is split at a club you can be assured that the club in question has absolutely no chance of winning the premiership.
Hodgo is being paid too much. As good a player as he is fullback just ain't a gamebreaking position.

some wise words there.. that was what I was getting at in a roundabout way. As i said in the STR forum:

Other clubs would be lined up outside his door if he was on the market. Don't kid yourself Westie. Its not just Wests TIgers fans that have noticed this kid. Everyone has. He is the talk of the town. Everyone who asks me things about the club brings up Benji first and foremost.

yappy

Bench
If Hodgos money is preventing you having enough dough to buy topline props then how is that smart? 2 or 3 games doesn't mean sh*t. Week in week out is what matters and its the teams with the hard packs and the smart halves that do it. Spend 220k+ on every one from 1-7 if you like. But you won't have enough money to give them a pack to play behind and so it's just another year in the bottom half of the table.

Anonymous

Juniors
Have to disagree with you on Bennett moving lockyer to justify the dollars. Noone would whinge about it simply because he is abled to control a game from fullback.

yappy

Bench
I never said it was the only reason. He has always played a bit like a part time 5/8 anyway so it wasn't a big switch. But Benno knew after last seasons disaster that he needed someone to do it full time. Lockyers contract meant that buying in a class half was out of the question so Darren had to move. If there was no salary cap Bennett would just have bought the best half money could buy and left Lockyer at 1.

innsaneink

Referee
At the start of this season kids at my sons club were imitating the step at training....as I'm sure other kids at other clubs all over the state were doing....talkin bout "hes doin the Benji".

WestsTigers get on the cover of one or two footy mags this year....Not the captain, not the coach, not the origin half....Benjis on it.

Daily telegraph 2004 NRL season draw liftout....top right corner= Benji!

Channel nines Friday nite footy intro every week.....a second or two of Wests Tigers...no...wait, its Benji.

Etc, etc, etc.

Look past the footy field, WT's, for gods sake!

tigerdan

Juniors
can someone pls email noyce and let him know what was said on the radio and how u are very worried that benji is leaving and how he is the face of the j/v, see what he says??. id do it but when it comes to emails im shocking

Miracle Balls

Juniors
yappy said:
I never said it was the only reason. He has always played a bit like a part time 5/8 anyway so it wasn't a big switch. But Benno knew after last seasons disaster that he needed someone to do it full time. Lockyers contract meant that buying in a class half was out of the question so Darren had to move. If there was no salary cap Bennett would just have bought the best half money could buy and left Lockyer at 1.

Total Bullsh*t.

Why is Lockyer now both five-eighth and captain of Australia. Once again you prove that you really have no idea.

As for Marshall, maybe when he actually achieves something in the game (besides the noteriety of an eccentric side-step) we should up the ante. Until then however he's displayed nothing to warrant extra attention as far as I'm concerned. 250K is a joke, seeya later Benji.

super_coach

First Grade
the three wise men-noyce lavers and sheens-would offer el magic 300k a year and not be prepared to pay benji 250k--they are joking-they probably reckon they can get 5 reserve graders for that price-and might get lucky.and find a new andrew johns--I dont think so--the place is on the big slide-sack the board plus lavers and noyce-and get some pros in the joint-or we are all doomed

tiger78

Juniors
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but I was a little concerned at a quote from Steve Noyce in a recent newspaper/magazine article (can't remember which may have been RLW) where he said on the subject of an upgrade of Benji's contract "there is no need to rush anything, he's still on contract for 2005" Rubbish Steve, clubs would be getting in his ear already. BE WARNED WESTS TIGERS MANAGEMENT OTHER CLUBS HAVE WRAPS ON HIM TOO.

cadburys

Juniors
Apart from a few, i think we are all in agreeance.

Benji must not be lost to this club.

When will this management show some balls.

If we lose Benji, they should lose their jobs.

I'm sorry, but it's that simple.

:x :x :x :x :x :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Wilks

Juniors
I'll reserve my judgement on this. I cant see the club not going all out to sign one of the hottest prospects in the game. Surely.

HOT028

Juniors
i love benji as a player but to pay 250 at this point of his carrer would be stupid, he hasn't really won us any games as yet, i am sure he would of if he wasn't injured, but the fact is he was, we should upgrade his contract for 5 years with the amount going up each year depanding on what he achives, i think 100-120 from 40 is a great pay rise for a 19 year old just out of school with a handfull of first grade games...

Gus22

Juniors
I think we may all be panicking over nothing. I don't believe the club intends to let Benji go at any cost. But why would they come out publicly & say "yes, Benji wants 250K & we will give him that". That would only make the Roosters, or Broncos, or Warriors, or Waratahs, immediately up their bid to 300K. If other clubs think we only rate him as 150K player they will start their bidding around the 200K.

Benji won't be going anywhere. We can all see our clubs future should be based on keeping him in the joint for the next ten years. Even the suits that seem to do no more tham sit on their hand at this club know it.

yappy

Bench
Why is Lockyer now both five-eighth and captain of Australia. Once again you prove that you really have no idea.

As for Marshall, maybe when he actually achieves something in the game (besides the noteriety of an eccentric side-step) we should up the ante. Until then however he's displayed nothing to warrant extra attention as far as I'm concerned. 250K is a joke, seeya later Benji.

You usually are on the money MB but what the hell is this blather? What the f*ck does Bennett moving Lockyer to 5/8 permanently have to do with the Australian Captaincy? He got that as a fullback and he got it because Joey was injured, Tallis retired and he was clearly the next in line with daylight second. Lockyer is the best player in the game at the moment 1, 6, 7, 3, 4 wouldn't matter what jersey he'd be the best. As the worlds best player and team captain he gets whatever jersey in the Australian team he damn well wants. He's a 5/8 now so he plays in 6. If he hadn't been quite as successful for the Broncos the Australian selectors though would put him at fullback and select Barrett because of course for them salary caps don't matter. If Australia finds itself in the position where all the good fullbacks are injured, but there are good halves available Lockyer will go back to fullback.

He didn't get moved from fullback cause he was no good there, he was moved because the Broncos needed the worlds best player permanently closer to the action. Bennett didn't want to move him, Gus suggested it two years ago and Bennett poo-pooed the idea. If you don't think the money Lockyer gets and the limits this places on Bennett recruiting a gun half are a significant part of the reason behind the move - fine believe what you will. But like I said, if you really believe Bennett would have made this move if he could have just bought a gun you smoke too much gear.

As for Marshall I have my doubts about if he is really all he is cracked up to be as well. But that's not the issue. The issue is do the Tigers want to keep him or not. If they want to keep him and decide that in the halves is his spot then they are going to have to pay what the market says he's worth, not what you or I think. If the Tiges are happy to try and use someone else then fine offer $150 and then wave bye-bye. Other clubs obviously believe he's worth more than that, so guess what - he is! How many games he's played or what he's done don't come into - just what other clubs are prepared to pay. If the Tigers don't see him as a half then wave goodbye now. Other clubs do and they are prepared to offer big bucks.

The Tigers have a big decision with Marshall - is he a marquee player who they can build a club around and who will be the face of the Tigers for a decade? If they think the answer is yes then they are going to have to start paying him like it sooner rather than later or else someone else will. If the answer is no, he's just a kid with a flashy step who isn't really gonna be a champ in the long run then they should just let him go to some sucker club that is gonna pay too much for him. It's a tough decision to make and if they get it wrong it's gonna hurt big time. Glad I'm not the one making it frankly.

Tigerpete

Juniors
I think it would be a sad day not only for us fans but for the battling clubs of the NRL if we couldnt hold onto Benji and he left for a bigger club. If you ask me should we pay Benji 250K, well there's a way i wouold say yes. If his contract is upgraded for a further 2 years till 2007, then increase it upwards per season based on how he performs so that if he performs well he gets to 250K he deserves. We all know Benji's got the confidence in him to think he can play to the level and earn those big bucks.

IF the tigers management didnt see Benji as a high priority re signing and didnt pull out all stocks to keep him i think a lot of clubs would be stunned in disbeleif that we didnt do enough to keep him.

Hopefully this is all just a little something that shouldnt be read into too much.