What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron McInnes

Who’s the better dummyhalf for ‘22 & ‘23?

• Cameron McInnes

Votes: 46 54.8%
  • Ben Hunt

Votes: 38 45.2%

• Total voters

redVinme

Bench
Hadley & Hook are mates so this has legs. Reflects badly on a players decision making so would we want him captain now ? Some have said tariq and i'm ok with that.

Yeh it's crazy. Not the stuff you want derailing a season with a fresh coach. Who knows that has actually been said/done though.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
It has always intrigued me if a forward is averaging over 50 tackles per game , what the bloody hell are the other players doing ? I understand that a pack needs one or two hard working scrappers but a hooker now days is one of the most important attacking positions on the field. It needs a player who is creative, has grat decision making and still be able to scoot out and run himself even in the 80th minute.A fatigued player cannot do this. So I think you are spot on George ! If Mcinness cant adapt then he will not be worth the 750 - 850k a year so the club has been responsible in waiting to see how this year goes.
Agree Denis, also, some of the great defensive players Terry Randall, Wayne Pearce Gary Stevens used to average about 25 a game. But that was an era when one on one tacking was acceptable, and no one liked running near them; others not necessarily the intimating defenders can rack up some high numbers. I’d swap 15 tackles for more creativity in the number 9 spot, particularly these days with the game becoming so vertical.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
How silly is Cameron McInnes just keep the gob closed and play footy.
We all know he loved Mary but his good judgement was obviously impacted by his respect and feelings towards our past coach.
Surely blind Freddy could see Mary had his extreme limitations as a coach and it was time to go after such a dismal period as coach.

st.phil

Bench
this story needs to be sorted one way or the other - as others have mentioned Hadley has a direct line to Hook - Cam was v miffed Mary was punted in spite of his protests... McInnis is a Souths kid and it's starting to show. Sign or don't but do it soon

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Hadley & Hook are mates so this has legs. Reflects badly on a players decision making so would we want him captain now ? Some have said tariq and i'm ok with that.
Anyone but Tariq. The bloke is built like a brick shithouse but has the heart the size of a pea.

getsmarty

Immortal
‘No confidence in the coach’: Shock claim in McInnes-Griffin contract stand-off
Dragons
a0b4b7efa7ccca036ef588ff2c1a97fc

St George Illawarra Dragons coach Anthony Griffin at trainingSource: Supplied
Dragons captain Cameron McInnes reportedly intimated that he preferred ex-St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor’s style to new boss Anthony Griffin.

McInnes is locked in a dispute with the Dragons over his contract which has threatened to escalate over the last few weeks.

He comes off contract later this season and there are a number of clubs thought to be interested in his services.

Complicating matters is the fact Griffin is hoping to land Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough on a two-year deal, which would force McInnes to play lock.

According to veteran radio host Ray Hadley, McInnes is not a fan of Griffin and preferred being coached by Paul McGregor who was sacked as Dragons coach midway through the 2020 season.

5188f92c7b976d61ccd1514a2aba78e1

Since sacked Dragons coach Paul McGregor celebrates with Cameron McInnesSource: Getty Images
“If he [McCullough] signs, you’ll see captain Cameron McInnes start the season at lock,” Hadley said on 2GB on Monday.

“Now I want to give Cameron McInnes a tip, but when the coach was appointed – Anthony Griffin – he was carrying on.

“He’s the captain of the team he’s entitled to his say. [But] It’s not a really smart move to say I like the other coach better – Paul McGregor – and I don’t think this bloke is as good as him.

“He didn’t say that exactly, but that’s what he meant.

“Given he has no confidence in the coach, I’d imagine the coach is saying I need someone who’s got confidence in me and you’re not one of them.

“So the Dragons may face an uphill battle to retain Cameron, who I think spoke prematurely as sometimes young blokes do.

“Maybe he’d be well-placed to come out now and say, ‘look I’ve now got to know Anthony Griffin. I think he can do the job and I hope I’m part of the plans’. That may redeem him in the eyes of the coach.

7dc62e1bb14b181784d836772542e362

Cameron McInnes crashes over to score against the SharksSource: AAP
In an interview with Fox League on Monday, Griffin said that McInnes had been allowed to test his value on the open market.

The potential exit of McInnes – the Dragons’ best player over the last few years – left NSW coach Brad Fittler stunned.

Fittler, who called McInnes into his Blues set-up for last year’s end-of-season series, told SEN’s Drive with Joel and Fletch.

“Anthony Griffin’s got his idea around the type of players he wants and I believe Andrew McCullough is one of them,” Fittler said.

a0b4b7efa7ccca036ef588ff2c1a97fc

St George Illawarra Dragons coach Anthony Griffin at trainingSource: Supplied
“But I don’t know why [they’re risking losing McInnes]. If he’s at your club, I wouldn’t be letting him go.

“[He’s] such a great bloke to have part of a team.

“It’s so hard to get those fellas. [McInnes] is going to be invaluable.

“He defends like a lock forward and can also play out of dummy-half. I think his value only goes up with the rule changes.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/c296e394ce5f897e139b10167f1781fc

Inisai Toga

Juniors
How silly is Cameron McInnes just keep the gob closed and play footy.
We all know he loved Mary but his good judgement was obviously impacted by his respect and feelings towards our past coach.
Surely blind Freddy could see Mary had his extreme limitations as a coach and it was time to go after such a dismal period as coach.
Blind Freddy could, just most of the leagues commentators couldn’t!

thebigredv

First Grade
Has Brandon Smith signed somewhere else?? Quick, we just lost the only player we thought we could build a team around. Whatever the backstory, we need to make a QUALITY signing NOW.

Last edited:
More to it....visit J.A

Can someone please share as I’m not a member of J.A

At the end of the day we simply need our Captain and coach aligned and perhaps they are. This could all be speculation and journos stirring the pot. Remember there were plenty of journos against the Hook appointment so I’m sure they would love applying extra pressure on him.

draco

Juniors
Cameron McInnes to join the Cronulla Sharks for 2022 and beyond

Cronulla have signed St George Illawarra captain Cameron McInnes in a major bombshell for the Red-V.

He will tell his teammates of his decision this morning of his intention to join their arch rivals.

In a move that will add further spice and animosity between the neighbouring rivals, the deal is worth around $2 million over four years.

Despite being the Dragons’ most consistent player, there had been a lack of interest at the club to sign him long term.

The Sharks have snuck under the unsuspecting guard of the Wests Tigers to secure his signature.

Tigers coach Michael Maguire met with McInnes prior to Christmas in a bid to lure the valuable 26-year-old.

With rising star Blayke Brailey holding down the Sharks hooker position, McInnes has told those close to him that his game could be best suited in the lock-position at Cronulla, particularly under the NRL’s new rule changes.

It’s understood Brailey has been informed of the Sharks’ pursuit of McInnes and is excited at the imminent arrival of the NSW Blues squad member next season.

Renowned for his leadership, fearless attitude and high workrate, McInnes is also desperate to play finals football and believes he can achieve that goal at the Sharks.

McInnes’ future has been a hot topic of late since it was revealed the Dragons are yet to table an offer to the 27-year-old for 2022 and beyond, despite him being their best player for the last two seasons. The club is also expected to sign Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough in the next fortnight – a move that would shift McInnes from hooker to the lock-forward position.

There had been whispers within the game that the Bulldogs were interested also in securing McInnes. However, the Bulldogs denied any link with McInnes – content to work with their current stock of dummy-halves.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...d/news-story/8376566b6c35b808e45a59eb2270bc8a