What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith

What will happen to Cam Smith?

• Charged - found guilty at judiciary and misses 1 or 2 matches

Votes: 131 61.8%
  • Charged - found guilty but downgraded, misses 0 matches

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • Charged - found innocent

Votes: 23 10.8%
  • Not Charged

Votes: 29 13.7%

• Total voters

parramaniac2516

Juniors
Surprised its for 2 weeks, thought they would have allowed him to get away with a week.

Think you will find its 2 because of a prior similar offence on which they add 20% on . First one was 93 so im presuming this one was the same so it would of been 186 without the 20% if you add that on its 204. He probably would of got off if he didnt have a previous offence. Although accoring to the judicary this new charge is worth 140 so i dont know how they are charging it.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Cameron Smith deserved to be sat down for the season. That "tackle" was nothing but attacking the head of an opponent.

I personally don't care if he doesn't make the WC team either - there are adequate other hookers around to take his place that don't need that as part of their game.

C'mon judiciary, take a stand and lay the platform for some more skilful footy next season!

yep

eddiesmith

Juniors
And Sattler is too? And Phil Gould? Who all thought is was a joke?

What a dark day in the history of the NRL.
Phil Gould thought it was a joke a player gets suspended the week they play the Sharks?

Wow, thats unbelievable, surely a first? :shock:

In all seriousness, Smith could have kicked a Broncos player, spat on the referee and smacked Bennett over the head and Gould would still say its a joke he is suspended this week :lol:

Loudstrat

Coach
Everyone is having a go at Geyer...but I am not hearing anyone bagging Sattler ??.

I'll happily bag Sattler.

That sh*t about the broken jaw in 1970 sh*ts me, because, while he DID play on - and that was a brave act, far more braver acts on the field have gone unnoticed. On that day, the Souths pack stepped up and wouldn't let him do any tacking. So he stood there like a hero.

Compare that to Ray Higgs 6 years later - broken jaw, but tackling his ruing off to try and win a tight GF. How about Brad Myers playing with a broken leg? Toovey playing a GF with a depressed fracture of the cheekbone? How about Alan Prescott ffs? Eric Weisel -set up an Ashes winging try by running 75m on a broken ankle!

Sattler dines out on that. Fact is, in the scheme of things, it's dwarfed.

Geyer has an agenda. For a former bonehead, he's been quite sensible in the media - especially taking the SBW issue to Gus. But he's dead wrong on this one.

I'd listen to Sterlo's opinion over any of 'em. Sterlos brain never got bruised!

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
I am hearing Cameron Smith will base his defence on the basis that Thaiday consented to the tackle and that it was mutual.. Only problem was someone was video taping it..

Loudstrat

Coach
:LOL:

No, what his defence will be is that He doesn't think it was him. Waldron will say he's seen footage, and no way was it Smith. Most probably Victoria's netball captain.

Bellamy will then blast the media, and Storm fans will ring up channel 9 to complain that they telecast the game.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...y-for-wrestling/2008/09/22/1221935545964.html

Smith could become fall guy for wrestling

Brad Walter and Glenn Jackson | September 23, 2008

JUDICIARY panel members will be told tomorrow night that the Cam Smith hearing is a test case in the battle to eradicate grapple tackles and other illegal wrestling manoeuvres from the game.

After studying four new camera angles of the tackle by the Australian captain and teammate Jeremy Smith on Brisbane forward Sam Thaiday last Saturday night, the match review committee decided to charge him with grade-one contrary conduct - unnecessary head/neck contact.

The grapple tackle charge means the Melbourne hooker, who skippered Queensland to victory in this season's Origin series and had the honour of captaining Australia in May's Centenary Test triumph over New Zealand, will miss Friday night's preliminary final against Cronulla and the following weekend's grand final unless he convinces the three-man tribunal panel of former players of his innocence.

Jeremy Smith was also charged with grade-one contrary conduct - unnecessary pressure to arm/shoulder - for an alleged "chicken wing" tackle on Thaiday at the same time.

The vision of the incident is likely to be the only evidence submitted in the case against the Smiths as it is considered damning enough to ensure a guilty finding.

After five years of dealing with grapple tackles and similar holds from the game, officials consider the suspension of one of the game's leading players from the biggest match of the season to be a watershed moment for the NRL.

Almost everyone says they want the growing influence wrestling has on the game significantly curbed, although few were yesterday prepared to publicly discuss the Smith case.

However, privately the overwhelming view among players, coaches and officials was that tomorrow night's hearing represented the best chance yet to do something about it.

Conversely, the Herald was told that if Smith gets off it will be a free-for-all from now on.

"It's so brazen that I don't think there was any choice but to charge him," one official said. "No one wants to see players suspended at this time of the year but they've crossed the line. This is going to be a bit of a test case, I think."

Cam Smith is considered one of the best wrestlers in the game, and his tackles are regularly scrutinised by the match review committee. Among the 10 grapple-like incidents looked at yesterday, Smith featured in two.

Despite the Storm's reputation, they featured in only one other similar incident that came under review - a Greg Inglis tackle on Tonie Carroll that was penalised in the first half.

Smith pleaded guilty to a grade-one contrary conduct charge for a round-one grapple tackle on Warriors centre Brent Tate but the incident involving Thaiday was the first time he had been penalised this season specifically for the offence.

He has, however, been penalised four times for holding down or making a second effort in a tackle. "He's the best in the business, everyone knows that," a member of a rival club's coaching staff told the Herald. "He's so good at it that I think they usually find them too hard to detect."

A rival player, who has been the victim of a grapple tackle, said: "Everyone has been going on about this for years now but they've never really pinned anyone for it so it will be interesting to see what happens at the judiciary."

Not everyone agrees that Smith is guilty, with former Balmain and Australia hooker Ben Elias labelling the decision to charge him as "a joke".

"Fair dinkum, if you psycho-analyse every tackle like that, no one would be playing the game," Elias said. "We're losing enough great players. All our superstars are going overseas and playing overseas.

"He's one of the greatest. He's the Australian captain. Not that that means he can get away with knocking someone's head off - but they're playing a game of rugby league. I don't think it was an intentional grapple tackle. It was a penalty. Justice would have been done - give the penalty and move on.

"Where's it going to end? There's the chicken wing, or the turkey leg, or whatever it is. We want to see the superstars play. I don't think anyone would object if he got off."

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,24386694-5003409,00.html

It could have left Thaiday a paraplegic, warns Gibbs

By Dean Ritchie | September 23, 2008 12:00am

A LEADING Sydney medical expert has condemned Cameron Smith's grapple tackle and claimed it could have left Broncos' forward Sam Thaiday a paraplegic.

Sports doctor Nathan Gibbs and renowned orthopaedic surgeon Merv Cross spoke emotionally about the dire consequences the NRL faced over the grapple tackle.

Gibbs, a former Souths and Parramatta forward who is now club doctor for the Sydney Swans, compared the grapple to WWE wrestling.

The drama comes after Smith was charged by the NRL match review committee yesterday with grade one contrary conduct (unnecessary conduct with head or neck).

He is facing a two-match suspension and must now beat the charge at the NRL judiciary hearing tomorrow night to avoid been suspended for the rest of this season.

The Storm have blown out to $2.25 in betting since Smith was charged, but remain NRL favourites. The match review committee made their decision after receiving four additional angles from Channel 9.

In a Daily Telegraph online poll, 82 per cent (2404) said Smith should be charged while 17 per cent (500) were against the decision. Smith will be defended by leading Sydney barrister, Geoff Bellew, QC, who was last night viewing video of the incident.

Gibbs was critical of the tackle. "The most likely consequence is that it could render a player unconscious,'' Gibbs said.

"It is akin to a choker hold. It's like a WWE wrestling hold but this is real. If a player wrenches the neck and then pulls the head away, you can injure the spine.

"If that happens, there is a range of potentially serious consequences -the worst being damage to the spinal cord which could lead to a player becoming a paraplegic. We don't want one of these injuries to happen then say we should have done something about it.''

Cross, an ex-NRL board member, wants all tackles below the nipple line and a ban on gang tackling. "He (Smith) practically strangled him - it was around the throat,'' Cross said. "No tackles should be above the badge or nipple line.

"I mentioned this when I was on the NRL board but they took no notice. By doing this we would once and for all prevent the grapple tackle. We shouldn't have gang tackles either. There should only be two allowed in a tackle.''

Melbourne are angry at the Smith charge with football manager Frank Ponissi saying: "We've got to take the emotion out.''

If Smith is suspended, Melbourne would choose between Matt Geyer and Russell Aitkin as their new hooker and dummy half.

Storm's Jeremy Smith was also charged with a grade one "chicken wing'' tackle for unnecessary pressure to the arm and shoulder of Thaiday in the same tackle. He can accept a one-week ban with an early guilty plea.

camsmith

Juniors
"He (Smith) practically strangled him - it was around the throat,'' Cross said. "No tackles should be above the badge or nipple line.

Strangled him? Has he seen the tackle?

FMD the muppets are out in force.

Patorick

Staff member
I fully expect both Smith's to get off on some sort of technicality.

Fully.

Bellew constantly makes the judiciary look like fools.

Dunley anyone?

Roosterphin1

Juniors
Its time for the NRL to take a stand on the biggest blight in our game in 100 years....bloody wrsetling....and get back to making footy players become skilful again.

Latest posts