What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can Melbourne Seriously Be Stopped in 2012?

Ozzy

First Grade
Gee Oz, I didn't realise. Maybe I should build another hot rod and let the cops take it from me and give it to AG because he can't build one of his own. Then I could sit back and watch him win shows he didn't deserve and brag about how good it is.

Knowing me I'd more than likely break into his sty one night and burn the f**kin thing to the ground. Better still I'd booby trap all the important parts so that when he tried to drive it they'd fall apart.

Revenge is sweet
Once more in English?

POPEYE

Coach
Pops, is it true that you're 4,000 years old?

Yeh. Shaving my head, growing a mean stache and keeping muscles tight can't hide it I'm afraid.

One good thing though, if someone knocks me down its an awful thing to do and if I knock them down it's an embarrassing thing to happen. Win win for me . . . same as following coaches rather than players

Hutty1986

Immortal
Yeh. Shaving my head, growing a mean stache and keeping muscles tight can't hide it I'm afraid.

One good thing though, if someone knocks me down its an awful thing to do and if I knock them down it's an embarrassing thing to happen. Win win for me . . . same as following coaches rather than players

Gosh, that's interesting

betcats

Referee
Im not aloud anywhere near schools or other areas young children are, there was a misunderstanding you see.

undertaker

Coach
I personally think that Melbourne are going to be very hard to stop this year and will go very close to winning the premiership.

Patorick

Staff member
Yes.

new_zealand_warriors_logo.jpg

Ozzy

First Grade
Sorry Oz. It's not that I'm overqualified, it's that your . . . how can I put it without being responsible for a suicide . . . fighting above your weight
You think I was having a go at you? I'd hate to upset you but no. My parents told me not to upset my elders.

Loudstrat

Coach
Not being a smartass, but... Do it. Always interested in history, and you seem well versed.
Here goes - off the top of my head:
(bold = spines with 4 test players; underlined = test captains)
BRISBANE: Lockyer, Walters, Langer, Priddis - immediate post SL era
CANTERBURY: Brentnall, Hughes, Mortimer, Peponis (1980 GF side)
CANBERRA: Mullins, Daley, Stuart, Walters (1994 GF side)
NORTH SYDNEY: Taplin, Hodgkins, Thompson, Green (1921 GF side)
ROOSTERS: Dowling, Norman, Thicknesse, Stehr (mid 1930's)
PARRAMATTA: Taylor, Kenny, Sterling, Edge (1982/3 GF side)
MANLY: Eadie, Fulton, Stevens, Krilich (1976 GF side); Ridge, Lyons, Toovey, Cochrane (mid 1990s); Stewart, Foran, Cherry-Evans, Ballin (current)
WESTS TIGERS: Hodgeson, Marshall, Prince, Farrah (2005 gf side)
WESTERN SUBURBS: McMillan, Hey, Craig, Lindfield (1930's); Parish, Summons, Holman, Kelly (1961)
BALMAIN: Jack, Hanley, Freeman, Elias (1988); Fraser, Craig, Holloway, McMurtrie (1915)
SOUTH SYDNEY: Churchill, Doherty, Hawick, Hammerton (mid 1950's)
NEWCASTLE: O'Davis, Johns, Johns, Jackson (1997 gf)
ST GEORGE:Langlands, Clay, Smith, Walsh (mid 1960's)

NOTES

• This list contains Australian club sides only. I'm damn sure some Pommy club sides with the likes of Ashton, Cunningham, Millward, Schofield and Murphy would be right up there
  • The 1930's Wests spine is credited with with creating the modern style running fullback play off the halves, with McMillan feeding off Vic Hey - arguably our best ever 6. This is how Cronk and Slater play today.
  • The Norths spine listed ran the only club backline ever to play test football together - the won our first Ashes series in England and ingers Horder and Blinkhorn will forever hold the top tryscoring records for overseas tours by Ausralians (over 30 tries each). Duncan Thompson was our best halfback pre Johns. Ferd Taplin still holds the record for the most number of seasons in first grade, something ridiculous like 22 years. George Green was the first Aboriginal to play FG RL - his name is on the medal for the best Aboriginal player of the year.
  • The Balmain spine of 1915 contains 3 of the best 6 players of the pre 1920's (generally considered to be Messenger, Frazer, Holloway, Craig, Burge and Pearce)
  • The first Manly side and the Dragons side contained two Kangaroo Tour captains
  • 9 of those spines were all international spines
  • The best of them all is probably the Dragons one.
  • Not all of them won premierships, but four of them won two comps or more
  • The current Storm spine only contains two regular test players. Ten of the listed spines contain two regulars or better
  • The Eels spine contains only two internationals, but Taylor is arguably the best defensive fullback of limited tackle football, and Steve Edge captained 5 premiership winning sides.
  • That Parramatta side probably really tells the true story of what makes a club side great. The scrumbase of Kenny-Sterling-Price is the greatest ever produced, and drove the best attacking side in limited tackle football - the only side to win three straight in almost half a century.
  • The current Storm spine is not even the best spine your club has had. I could have listed the 06-07 spines with Inglis in for Widdop - but being illegal they are not eligible. Besides, your best legal spine was in 99: Ross, Geyer, Kimmorley, Swain
  • I even found a pretty handy spine from lol@50uffs!

Last edited: