What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can Melbourne Seriously Be Stopped in 2012?

Loudstrat

Coach
:lol: A couple of choice websites help = like this one http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/

I love reading about the formative years, you find out amazing stuff. Did you know (you wont believe this, but it's true) that Souths were once a strong club? Amazing what you find out at times.

I'm not fit to tie Fagans shoelaces though. But thanls anyway.

Loudstrat

Coach
Lust thinking, that Tigers spine would have around 100 tests between them. I know Freeman had over 40, and Jack about 22 - Hanley was pommy skipper for about 6 years.

EDIT: Jack 20, Hanley 36, Freeman 45 tests, Elias 14. Total 115!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Cowboys woo

Juniors
Answering the OP, I think the problem with Melbourne isn't peaking too early, their an ultra consistent side. I think the issue is is that most of their main contenders come finals time can reach that extra gear eg. Tigers and Warriors last year, something which Melbourne lacked. In some of the big games last season (Manly @ Brookie, Warriors @ AAMI) they looked predictable and flat and the defense had an easy job stopping the attack.

IT will be interesting to see if they can lift that extra gear this year

Elektrik Shock

Juniors
TBF in 09 we swept Manly & Brisbane aside in the QF & SF by 40 points, and then toppled the hottest team at the time in Parramatta (Yes i know were cheats blah blah blah) so it's obvious we can lift come finals time, i think alot of people are underselling the quality of the 2011 SF and indeed the Warriors, Melbourne played well, but the Warrriors put together the best 80 minutes i've seen and thoroughly deserved the win and in all hoesty would have beaten any team that night. It'll be interesting to see if we can go 1 better this year.

POPEYE

Coach
You think I was having a go at you? I'd hate to upset you but no. My parents told me not to upset my elders.

No, I certainly didn't think you were having a go at me. Matter of fact I should apologise for lowering my sights

POPEYE

Coach
Lust thinking, that Tigers spine would have around 100 tests between them. I know Freeman had over 40, and Jack about 22 - Hanley was pommy skipper for about 6 years.

EDIT: Jack 20, Hanley 36, Freeman 45 tests, Elias 14. Total 115!!!!!!!

Wtf has that got to do with quality. Because you lust over someone doesn't make them worthy

POPEYE

Coach
In answer to the thread it is not a matter of if Melbourne can be stopped or not. The point is can other teams step up and play the game as well as Melbourne . . . after all shooting the messenger won't stop inadequate performances

POPEYE

Coach
Apology accepted. I still need my feet for walking.

I'm used to rednecks following me around like cabbage farts and then accuse me of being a troll. Yabbies being used every few pages accusing me of being obsessed when I've only mentioned them a couple of times in well over a thousand posts.

So you'll have to forgive me if I confuse a smartarse with rednecks.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
TBF in 09 we swept Manly & Brisbane aside in the QF & SF by 40 points, and then toppled the hottest team at the time in Parramatta (Yes i know were cheats blah blah blah) so it's obvious we can lift come finals time.
You also got smashed by Manly when you didnt have Smith, and wouldn't have beaten Parra without Inglis.

And now that your supporting cast isn't as good it's NOT obvious you can lift as required. The big 3 are going to have to play out of their skins in the semis, because some of the numpties in the team will f**k up.

Can they do it? Course they can.
Will they? Who knows, but it's way too early to lock em in

Ozzy

First Grade
I'm used to rednecks following me around like cabbage farts and then accuse me of being a troll. Yabbies being used every few pages accusing me of being obsessed when I've only mentioned them a couple of times in well over a thousand posts.

So you'll have to forgive me if I confuse a smartarse with rednecks.
:lol: I'll take that as a compliment.

StormHi

Juniors
What numpties are you refferng to? Last year the fact we had Champion in our team ugh and Justin Oneil out :( We got Will chambers and Oneil back this year and hopefully we won't have to many issues with injuries the team this year is far better then the team we had last year.

Even the Hoff is going great guns. It's to early to say anything as stupid as "we got this" but the Storm ATM are hands down the team to beat. And being the comps pacesetters is a position the storm are quite comfortable with.

I even think Lowrie has uped his game to a new level (bet parra wish they still had him)

Last edited:

Grapple

Bench
I think they'll get beaten this week by The Cowboys, if not then I would say whenever they play Manly next. Finals they could go all the way, as long as they don't meet NZ.

Galeforce

Bench
YES they can be beat come finals time.
YES Storm are now playing great football. They have all their star players on the field and playing accordingly. I think they cannot improve from here so other teams will either step up by finals time or Storm could come back to the field due to injury.

You know i am a one eyed Souths fan , however given Souths were close to beating the Storm in their last game and did not have Merritt on the field , i believe come finals time the following. If Souths have their best team on the field and make the finals and with the added game experience of the rookie Reynolds by that time , Souths WILL beat the Storm if they meet in the finals this year.
Sure plenty of Ifs, however fact , the team that wins a premiership nowadays , gets to the finals with all their best players available.

StormHi

Juniors
YES Storm are now playing great football. They have all their star players on the field and playing accordingly. I think they cannot improve from here so other teams will either step up by finals time or Storm could come back to the field due to injury.

You know i am a one eyed Souths fan , however given Souths were close to beating the Storm in their last game and did not have Merritt on the field , i believe come finals time the following. If Souths have their best team on the field and make the finals and with the added game experience of the rookie Reynolds by that time , Souths WILL beat the Storm if they meet in the finals this year.
Sure plenty of Ifs, however fact , the team that wins a premiership nowadays , gets to the finals with all their best players available.

I suppose close to winning a game is as good as it gets for a Wabbitohs fan........ Personally I think LoL@Souffs peaked with their win against a woeful tigers outfit and it's all downhill from there :roll:

I think there is plenty of improvement from the Storm still to come. Guys like Will Chambers is still finding form and Widdop is gaining confidence and influence with every game. A comment like yours about there being no room for improvement in the Storm is about the dumbest thing I have heard on this thread....... They can improve by getting rid of Quinn or by tightening up their late game defence or by staying focused for the full 80 minutes...... Seriously Wabbitoh fans are about as idiotic as they come like comparing inglis after two games as Fullback to Slater is Idiotic.

Oh and by the way your savior Reynolds got run down by not one but two fowards and he had a head start Congrats on having that Nuffle on your team.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member

Will someone put this batshit insane geriatric down?

What nonsensical dribble :lol: