What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can RL survive in the West for 10 more years?

Nuke

Staff member
That would be my local club if that was the case!

* Nuke looks at Joondalup_Giant *

Nope, probably not a good idea that I switch. Joondalup_Giant knows my weaknesses as a player and would exploit them, as well as getting the 2009 Giants players to do likewise.

* Nuke stays a Joondalup Giants player! *

albert

Juniors
Maybe the Bulldogs are moving there.When they merged with Armadale Centenary was going to be opened up (fenced area taken down),and they were going to a ground in Forrestfield.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If RL is to survive without an NRL franchise anytime in the near future there has to be more effort by the NRL to ensure games are played here and that Ch9 show games at a decent time. Looking at the way the game has gone over the last 10 years here if things don't change I doubt we will be here in 10 years time talking RL!

joondalup_giant

Staff member
im taking the case of the new morley club and putting it in the basket of "believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see"

Alehana

Juniors
morely have a very strong presence in union, one of the top junior teams and senior teams, alot of PI and Kiwis in the teams, wounldn't be suprised if they do the union saturday league sunday move, but should have sum good numbers,

Nuke

Staff member
From what I've heard tonight (and I only heard 'there's talk of this happening ...', and 'the word on the street is ...'), there sounds to be some merit in the Morley talk. There is a WARL planning meeting this Saturday, so it'll (I assume) be finalised then, but it looks as though Kalgoorlie won't be competing in 2009's WARL, however either them as a relocated club or a new club to replace them (tentatively named the Titans at this stage I gather) will be starting up in this Morley area, or possibly at Roscher Park in Lockridge. That's the former home of Marangaroo, and the clubhouse is still there, and the ground and clubhouse hasn't been used in winter for a few years at least.

Also, apparently, the WA Reds are looking at taking over Centenary Field in Belmont for their usage, so Eastern Bulldogs will be looking for a new home. Why they would move up to Morley way when they've got Armadale under their banner would seem silly.
Could be an interesting meeting on Saturday.

I'll credit SmithTown and a few others for providing me with these whispers tonight. I don't know where they've all heard these things, but one person said it and the others knew of them too (except little ol' Nuke here!).

Last edited:

joondalup_giant

Staff member
i'd heard about kal not playin in 09, having 8 metro teams as apposed to 7 metro n 1 country team looks better for the comp.

Smithtown

Coach
You've gotta watch out who you hang out with Nuke!

Rumours are just that - and can be good and bad. Good in the sense that they get people talking and promoting opinions about things, but bad in that there is little legitimacy in 'claims'.

As with all this, it is pure speculation.

But, the WARL should have a strategic plan about where the next metro Clubs come from. And # 1 priority should be the Armadale/Gosnells/Kelmscott area. That is the only major population expansion artery that is not serviced by Rugby League. Whether it be the Rabbitohs again or a new Club, RL people have to band together and form a Club in that area - especially for Juniors.

The second area that should be looked at is Ellenbrook. Another growth area full of young families that is reasonably near the Morley/Lockridge area proposed.

If the WARL can help create some well run Junior Clubs in those two areas, League will go through the roof in Junior numbers - and that will flow on in Seniors down the track.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Be disapointing if Kal do drop out. I know they have siginificant problems with travel and shift workers but was good to have a regional team in the comp, especially Kal with its links to mining.

The WARL need some increased funding to get more teams going, starting with a city wide jnr comp including new areas like Ellenbrook, Butler, Wanneroo etc. There is massive pop growth in these areas and RU is already moving in. If only the NRL would throw us a bone or two!

Smithtown

Coach
You can't have Joondalup, Butler & Wanneroo - it doesn't make sense to just flood one market.

Here's a short style Junior plan

Stage 1 (2009)- Armadale/Kelmscott

Stage 2 (2011) - Ellenbrook/Morley

Stage 3 (2013) - Mandurah

Stage 4 (2015) - Quinns/Butler

Doesn't mean you have to stick to these targets, they are just an outline for a plan.

But before we go dragging 4 more Clubs into the picture, there must be respect for the existing Clubs and what they are trying to achieve.

Case in point is Fremantle, who have gone from one Junior team in 2007 to 4 in 2008. That is a massive increase in relative terms, and their U7's and U11's were excellent teams. So whatever they have done, should be rewarded, helped and encouraged. If bringing in another Southern team would jeopardise this growth, then that needs to be looked at.

As with any area, just because you have population doesn't mean you will be successful. You need to get processes and proficient practices in place first. I don't know why Armadale needed to merge, but it doesn't make sense that they did when you compare their growth area to what Rockingham have done over the last 5 years.

So steady as she goes, and existing Clubs who are struggling should be helped - especially if they decide to relocate to these newer areas.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
ARL are responsible for funding nor NRL but i know what you mean Perth Red.

Pretty sure there is already a junior UNION club in the butler area that feilds and under 12's or lower side but its a good start for them and eventually they'll grow into a larger club with more and more players.

Like Smithtown said its up to the people in the League community (with some assistance from the WARL) to get pro-active and start making things happen.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes but the NRL could be doing alot more to help. for example f the NRL agreed to underwrite the Perth NRL games next season to the tune of $200k (and lets face it these games will ultimately benefit the NRL) then the WARL could keep all takings and use it for development. $200k to the NRL is peanuts but for the WARL it could pay for 3 new development officers for these areas.

albert

Juniors
Also, apparently, the WA Reds are looking at taking over Centenary Field in Belmont for their usage, so Eastern Bulldogs will be looking for a new home. Why they would move up to Morley way when they've got Armadale under their banner would seem silly.
Could be an interesting meeting on Saturday.

I believe that no Armadale juniors played with Eastern this year(as apposed to 8 last year).As for Centenary I have already posted that the fence will be taken down and become an open park.There for Eastern moving to another ground in the last I heard Forrestfield.

albert

Juniors
. I don't know why Armadale needed to merge, but it doesn't make sense that they did when you compare their growth area to what Rockingham have done over the last 5 years.

The reason they merged was both clubs were very shorty on juniors.As a club I would have loved to see them still in the competition.But starting from scratch again would be one HUGE effort,for a start where would they play?Pries Park was in need of huge restoration (which Armadale council was not prepared to fix) it is now used for soccer.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
was pries park the one that had the horse club behind it? if so that was a sh*t hole of a field to play on, full of pot holes and a very hard rough playing surface.

Goldthorpe

Bench
was pries park the one that had the horse club behind it? if so that was a sh*t hole of a field to play on, full of pot holes and a very hard rough playing surface.
I think your a bit harsh on Pries Park joondalup_giant. There are a lot of grounds worse off then Pries Park. The only problem I could remember was the hardness of the northern in-goals. At least it was a proper size field.

Smithtown

Coach
The reason they merged was both clubs were very shorty on juniors.As a club I would have loved to see them still in the competition.But starting from scratch again would be one HUGE effort,for a start where would they play?Pries Park was in need of huge restoration (which Armadale council was not prepared to fix) it is now used for soccer.

The fact they were short on Juniors is a reason Albert, but what was the cause of this?

The only reason I ask is because both Rockingham and Joondalup are experiencing an increase in junior player numbers - because they are in growth areas AND they are run well.

Armadale is in a growth area as well, so by rights they should be close to replicating what the other two clubs are doing.

Pries Park was ok to play on. Possibly Willagee have taken on a few Armadale Juniors rather than the Bulldogs.

It might take a huge effort, but RL needs to be re-established properly in the Eastern Suburbs growth areas. The Rabbitohs (especially now that Souths are committing to Perth) should make a come back.

Latest posts