What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can RL survive in the West for 10 more years?

Perth Red

Post Whore
With Gallop stating that Perth isn't on the radar can RL here survive another 10 years without an NRL team? I get the feeling that if we aren't in for the next TV deal we could be facing virtual oblivion. I can see the likes of Geoff Baldwin becoming disillusioned and walking away, our youngsters going to a resurgent RU and the game dieing out. Alarmist or a real possibility?

CHRIS SANDOW

Juniors
Rl Can And Will Survive In Western Australia. The Only Problem Is For The Team To Be A Successful, They Have To Generate Over 15 Mill A Year To Sustain An Nrl Team In The Long Term. They Have To Come Up With A Business Model And Maybe Some Rich Private Owners To Jump On Board. I Think Crowds Of 15-16,000 Are Achievable If Played At Members Equity Stadium.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
yes it can and it will, even if the red's dont make the nrl when the next tv deal is negotiated im sure they'll stick around in nsw cup until they do get accepted which will still provide a path way for junior's.

gho

Juniors
Gallop has said that in numerous interviews. RL will survive, but with a slow but sure decrease over time. Its hard to follow a sport that gets little/no coverage in the media. While we laugh at Union in Australia in this forum, they may possibly be doing better than league in the non-heartland states (i have no figures). They seem to be doing great in WA, here in SA the rugby 7's always gathers a crowd and all the AFL diehard fans seem to love it in Victoria (even if only due to their hatred of League).

roopy

Referee
League and sport in general are changing rapidly.
15 years ago you would get a couple of League games a week on TV if you were lucky and most players were 'semi-pro' - or working part time or even fulltime.
Now even the junior games are on TV and all players in the NRL and a heap of others around the country are full time pros.

In 10 years time you will be able to watch live league 24/7 from all around the world on the net or on TV and second and third grade comps will be pro.

Perth will have pro league players in some form.

Smithtown

Coach
Always the pessimist Perth Red.

If you took the time to have a look around you will see that Junior Rugby League has had a resurgence over the last two years, mainly on the back of a good central development officer.

This needs to continue because that is the future of the code - not businessmen and corporates who come and go. There is much to still do though amongst the majority of Junior Clubs, and there is no doubt that some of those Clubs mightn't be up for the challenge.

Overall though - I vote alarmist.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
The trial and NRL games to be played in Perth over the next few years (add Adelaide to this mix) will only strengthen RL in these areas.

Calixte

First Grade
There does however need to be a regular program of NRL - and international matches I would add (one of the disappointing aspects of the RLWC program is the lack of a game each in Perth and Adelaide) - in WA and SA.

I fail to see how the passion for RL among parts of the WA community will dull when they have survived without an NRL side for all these years.

Think back.

When the (then) NSWRL took games to the WACA in the late 1980s/early 1990s, the response was enormous. The profile of the players in WA was excellent considering the distance and the local focus on AFL.

That was created and sustained without a team in the NSWRL.

I have no doubt that the poor decision to cull the Reds resulted in many people becoming disillusioned with the game in WA (ditto for the Rams in SA).

Those people can be won back to the game (and new ones brought with them) IF:

(a) WA (and SA) is given more regular access to NRL and international games;
(b) FTA TV coverage in those sectors is sorted out by the NRL ASAP;
(c) some parity in the local media is fought for by the NRL; &
(d) some sort of a timetable is given to those areas as to the creation of new teams.

With that, rugby league will continue to grow and we will have a good chance of righting the wrongs done in those areas in the past.

I agree that Gallop's comments in this area reflect both his continuing disappointment as a CEO and the predicament any CEO is in with News Ltd remaining so intrinsic to decision making in the game.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
There's not enough tests played atm to send them to Adel & Perth, though I doubt Sydney will ever host a test ever again so you might get theirs :lol:

Sydney NRL clubs are getting sh*te crowds at home so there's a lot more incentive to take their games on the road, which is a good thing.

Calixte

First Grade
I'm not in either spot BTW.

There are enough internationals if a proper program is developed. Refer about 100 of my threads in international!!!

The RLWC was a perfect example.

With 12 teams or better organisation, Perth and Adelaide clearly should have been catered for with a game each.

Stupid decision by the ARL...

Why am I not shocked???

:roll:

Nuke

Staff member
I don't know if Adelaide was looked at as a possible World Cup venue (they should at least have been given a look-in), but they looked at having a game here in Perth (the England vs PNG game that was given to Townsville). For a while, the WARL seemed confident of us hosting that game, but for whatever reason, we were shunned. The most western and southern game/s being held are Melbourne. Rockhampton gets a game FFS. Where I'm sure it'll be a great success there, and a reward for all the years being a League-strong area, it just feels like a kick in the pants for the whole of WA, and more particularly a capital city of Perth, to be looked over for a country town.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
I'm not in either spot BTW.

There are enough internationals if a proper program is developed. Refer about 100 of my threads in international!!!

The RLWC was a perfect example.

With 12 teams or better organisation, Perth and Adelaide clearly should have been catered for with a game each.

Stupid decision by the ARL...

Why am I not shocked???

:roll:

I personally don't think it would've been a smart move to take a Test there before any interest has already been started.

Wait until a few games have been played there, then see. I'd be happy for the a TriNations game to be played there in 2010, 2009 if we can get more than 2 NRL games there next year.

Best break the water with a few NRL games and some exposure, then consider Tests.

Do agree with your comment on the ARL though :lol:

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
I don't know if Adelaide was looked at as a possible World Cup venue (they should at least have been given a look-in), but they looked at having a game here in Perth (the England vs PNG game that was given to Townsville). For a while, the WARL seemed confident of us hosting that game, but for whatever reason, we were shunned. The most western and southern game/s being held are Melbourne. Rockhampton gets a game FFS. Where I'm sure it'll be a great success there, and a reward for all the years being a League-strong area, it just feels like a kick in the pants for the whole of WA, and more particularly a capital city of Perth, to be looked over for a country town.

Would Perth have gotten 8,000 to a game that determines nothing but a ranking order?

The Rocky game is to decide who's 7th and who's 8th, it's a nothing game.

Nuke

Staff member
It's still a World Cup game. It's still international RL ... hell, it's still any RL!
With the right exposure, you would've gotten quite a large crowd, as there are many English people living here. You would have also gotten the WARL community (players, club people, their families, ect) to the game ... most I reckon would've been going for PNG!

I personally reckon there woulda been a decent crowd, but it doesn't matter now.

albert

Juniors
Re the juniors up, if the junior development officer was doing his job in our area maybe Armadale would still be around.Alas another club bites the dust.
As for juniors Central were not strong in numbers either this year.