What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone please think up a different arguement....

drake

First Grade
Zef said:
ozzie said:
Its the bottom dwellers - the last of the 25 players who would get some of the hard earnt cash.

But there's the catch Oz, who says they will?

I know at The Dogs if we get an extra $500K to spend on the cap all's we'll do is punt a couple of Hughes's and then sign up Wing & Morley.

Doesn't mean anyone else in the joint is gonna get another red cent - especially Willie.

I'd imagine your lot would probably do something similar. I mean are you's gonna give Tood Byrne some extra cash or use it to buy Barrett and/or Thurston?

I know what I'd do.

Therein lies the problem.
I was amazed to see how little the majority of first grade players get, yet if the cap increases, the non-stars aren't gonna get a sniff. I get more for sitting on my arse than most of these guys get for being smashed up by the likes of Gorden Tallis.

Clubs are business franchises, and will pay minimum wage where they can. A further exemption for juniors and 8 year plus players should be made rather than an across the board cap increase. (Which I don't think will butter the Rooster's bread.) Obviously Melbourne would need some special consideration, considering the age of the club and it's shallow junior pool. (No sorry Roosters, not having a junior pool isn't good enough, you'd have to come from a place where rugby league is a sideline sport.)

The crux of the situation is we need to keep talented athletes interested in professional rugby league in Australia, not create super clubs ala Soccer in Europe. As Zef said, the money will go to snatch top level players from poorer clubs, so that rich clubs will have better reserve grade teams than others' first grade teams.

It's not about punishing financial success, my team could well afford to buy a truckload of players, it's about not punishing stuggling teams, and their supporters. (That said, supporters of financially struggling teams should buy match tickets, not bumper stickers. ;-) )

So in the end, it just appears that the roosters are really sticking it to the game itself, obviously they are not interested in the development of the game, but only in the success of their team, thus the increase of sponsorship revenue. Unfortunately, interest in the game will lag as the comp becomes lopsided, and sponsors will not pay much to advertise in an arena no-one is watching. Because of the short-sightedness of their proposed court action, the Roosters have increased the reputation of rorters and silver tails who want to be premierships.

No matter how low brow the insults are, unfortunately all Roosters fans are let down by the fact that their club has threatened to attack the NRL, the major provider of rugby league entertainment in our country, thus ruining their credibilty with, and earning the emnity of the supporters of every other club in the league.
I grew up in the South Eastern Suburbs, so I know that their not all latte sipping androtops. (Bra boys drink blood and beer!) But the Roosters are a self centered short sighted bunch of fools made rich by Asian immigrants' love of gambling. (Nothing against Asian folks, but go to a leagues club in the East of sydney and check the pokies rooms)
Roosters... Screw my game, screw you. Don't like our league, get the f*ck out. I don't care how long you've been there for, long term service in anything doesn't clear you for assault with intent of murder.

melon....

Coach
drake said:
Zef said:
ozzie said:
Its the bottom dwellers - the last of the 25 players who would get some of the hard earnt cash.

But there's the catch Oz, who says they will?

I know at The Dogs if we get an extra $500K to spend on the cap all's we'll do is punt a couple of Hughes's and then sign up Wing & Morley.

Doesn't mean anyone else in the joint is gonna get another red cent - especially Willie.

I'd imagine your lot would probably do something similar. I mean are you's gonna give Tood Byrne some extra cash or use it to buy Barrett and/or Thurston?

I know what I'd do.

Therein lies the problem.
I was amazed to see how little the majority of first grade players get, yet if the cap increases, the non-stars aren't gonna get a sniff. I get more for sitting on my arse than most of these guys get for being smashed up by the likes of Gorden Tallis.

Clubs are business franchises, and will pay minimum wage where they can. A further exemption for juniors and 8 year plus players should be made rather than an across the board cap increase. (Which I don't think will butter the Rooster's bread.) Obviously Melbourne would need some special consideration, considering the age of the club and it's shallow junior pool. (No sorry Roosters, not having a junior pool isn't good enough, you'd have to come from a place where rugby league is a sideline sport.)

The crux of the situation is we need to keep talented athletes interested in professional rugby league in Australia, not create super clubs ala Soccer in Europe. As Zef said, the money will go to snatch top level players from poorer clubs, so that rich clubs will have better reserve grade teams than others' first grade teams.

It's not about punishing financial success, my team could well afford to buy a truckload of players, it's about not punishing stuggling teams, and their supporters. (That said, supporters of financially struggling teams should buy match tickets, not bumper stickers. ;-) )

So in the end, it just appears that the roosters are really sticking it to the game itself, obviously they are not interested in the development of the game, but only in the success of their team, thus the increase of sponsorship revenue. Unfortunately, interest in the game will lag as the comp becomes lopsided, and sponsors will not pay much to advertise in an arena no-one is watching. Because of the short-sightedness of their proposed court action, the Roosters have increased the reputation of rorters and silver tails who want to be premierships.

No matter how low brow the insults are, unfortunately all Roosters fans are let down by the fact that their club has threatened to attack the NRL, the major provider of rugby league entertainment in our country, thus ruining their credibilty with, and earning the emnity of the supporters of every other club in the league.
I grew up in the South Eastern Suburbs, so I know that their not all latte sipping androtops. (Bra boys drink blood and beer!) But the Roosters are a self centered short sighted bunch of fools made rich by Asian immigrants' love of gambling. (Nothing against Asian folks, but go to a leagues club in the East of sydney and check the pokies rooms)
Roosters... Screw my game, screw you. Don't like our league, get the f*ck out. I don't care how long you've been there for, long term service in anything doesn't clear you for assault with intent of murder.
You could almost make a point their Francis....EXCEPT....you got it wrong when stating the NRL is the major provider of rugby league entertainment in this country. The Football cluns are the major providers of rugby league entertainment in this country, not the NRL. The NRL is Administering the code because football clubs dont have the time or resources to do it. They're busy trying to stay solvent. Some are suceeding, others will never suceed.

The Roosters are in no way responsible for the shortcomings of your club and vis-a-vis. The Roosters are not responsible for the direction the game is taking or should take. They are responsible for ensuring their own survival. As is your club. This voting bullshit is irrelevant. The Clubs are not charged with the ability or the power to vote where the game is going. The NRL decides. The vote was proven irrelevant when the NRL aquired enough votes from the clubs to kick Souths out in 99. Souths took it to court and proved that vote irrelevant.

Look after your own affairs because Easts arent going to. They are ensuring their own survival and placing themselves in the best possible position to do so. Something all clubs would and should be doing, especially the poorly managed strugglers.

League is a business. To the NRL its a $600 miliion dollar business. To the clubs its far less. The clubs provide the entertainment and the NRL makes a very nice substantial packet from this commodity. They are charged to decide the fate of the game. Clubs like Easts are responsible to question their position in relation to that future. I suggest your club needs to do the same, and Im sure they are.

drake

First Grade
melona, you are right. Our clubs should look after our own interests, and the Roosters are only responsible for their increased revenue, not rugby league in general. My god to think that the continuation of professional rugby league in Australia would be in the best interests of the Sydney City Roosters rugby league club!
So our clubs should look after themselves, and as you say, the NRL is unnecessary. So we'll all get together, make a new RL and exclude the roosters, who have only their best interests at heart.
The Roosters are in no way responsible for the direction the game is taking, as they do not involve themselves in any aspect of the game that will not rake in the big money.
This ridiculous attitude of yours is an every man for themselves attitude, opposed to the idea of a League.
"league n
from latin 'legare', to bind
An association of states, organizations, or individuals for common action; an alliance. "
A pathetic desperate defence at best. On the Roosters path, there is no future.
At least you can afford Cochrane..."If Chewbacca is a wookie, you must find for the plaintiff"
Keep performing, everyone loves a court jester.

MadDogMason

Juniors
Ok i got it who remember's the rleague forum and the thread made by me and Raider_69? We'll who would want to c a thread called RaiderVMason?
It would be all arguing and everything like the last 1. We had like 9 pages in 5 days it was killer.
Ne1 want to c that and be able to put there 2cents in? :? :eek:

El Diablo

Post Whore
MadDogMason said:
Ok i got it who remember's the rleague forum and the thread made by me and Raider_69? We'll who would want to c a thread called RaiderVMason?
It would be all arguing and everything like the last 1. We had like 9 pages in 5 days it was killer.
Ne1 want to c that and be able to put there 2cents in? :? :eek:

:-k

Everlovin' Antichrist said:
If you don't care, stop spending all day defending your shitbag of a team.

By the way, I never thought of you as a Latte sipping nice person, I thought you were more a Moccachino man.

As Melon said. "...others just read the Telecrap and bleet like sheep followers that they are."

Melon.....Put this moron on that list.

melon....

Coach
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
If you don't care, stop spending all day defending your shitbag of a team.

By the way, I never thought of you as a Latte sipping nice person, I thought you were more a Moccachino man.

As Melon said. "...others just read the Telecrap and bleet like sheep followers that they are."

Melon.....Put this moron on that list.
The Moron Lis??? Coggie, this joker is the Chairman!!! :lol:

melon....

Coach
drake said:
melona, you are right. Our clubs should look after our own interests, and the Roosters are only responsible for their increased revenue, not rugby league in general. My god to think that the continuation of professional rugby league in Australia would be in the best interests of the Sydney City Roosters rugby league club!
So our clubs should look after themselves, and as you say, the NRL is unnecessary. So we'll all get together, make a new RL and exclude the roosters, who have only their best interests at heart.
The Roosters are in no way responsible for the direction the game is taking, as they do not involve themselves in any aspect of the game that will not rake in the big money.
This ridiculous attitude of yours is an every man for themselves attitude, opposed to the idea of a League.
"league n
An association of states, organizations, or individuals for common action; an alliance. "
At least you can afford Cochrane..."If Chewbacca is a wookie, you must find for the plaintiff"
I didnt say the NRL is unnecessary. They are very necessary to take the burden of administration from the football clubs. i was stating your comments about the NRL providing the RL entertainment in this country is wrong.

ibeme

First Grade
melon.... said:
drake said:
"league n
I didnt say the NRL is unnecessary. They are very necessary to take the burden of administration from the football clubs. i was stating your comments about the NRL providing the RL entertainment in this country is wrong.

The NRL is the governing body. They invite teams to play in their competition. The Roosters are entitled to do anything they please as long as it conforms with the rules of the governing body. The NRL also has to incorporate the views of participating clubs and fans, and shape the rules in such a way that they are in the best interests of the game and the competition. The NRL are within their rights not to extend an invitation to the Roosters beyond their current agreement.

The Roosters may well be a single entity, but if they want to continue to be included in the NRL, they must accept the rules that apply in the NRL. They're welcome to put ideas and views forward. They're welcome to contribute to debate. They're also welcome to vote on issues, but they must accept the outcomes.

drake

First Grade
They're also welcome to go to a more lucrative market where they're not restricted by the fact that only a low % of a low population country are the market.
Viva la france por la coqs in 2005!

And that administration (NRL) has made the decision to institute a maximum expenditure in the interest of harmony and fairness. And if the administration aren't organising the deals to provide the viewing public with rugby league matches (RL entertainment consumed by most fans), then the argument of $squillons going into the NRL coffers is moot.

Taiwan RL fan

Juniors
The point of the salary cap is so advantaged clubs like the Roosters don't get to keep all their good players.
This is so the comp is even, which is why 2004 is so eagerly anticipated
This is also to ensure the less well off clubs don't bankrupt themselves and their communities playing catch-up.
Its for the good of ALL.
Where would the Roosters be without the Manly's & the Wests.

If players go to Union or Korfball so be it.

I still haven't heard a Roosters fan come up with anything sensible. All you guys say is "we are the best (not true btw), lets stamp on the rest".

As an Englishmen, I'm ashamed that Morley has to play under such a selfish, myopic bunch.

drake

First Grade
The arguments coming from Roosters fans are certainly weak and repetitive.
Season 2003 was fantastic, and my team didn't even do well.

Roosters have brought the game into a bad light again.
THEY CAN SMELL IT FROM TAIPEI!!!
This stinks!

melon....

Coach
Taiwan RL fan said:
The point of the salary cap is so advantaged clubs like the Roosters don't get to keep all their good players.
This is so the comp is even, which is why 2004 is so eagerly anticipated
This is also to ensure the less well off clubs don't bankrupt themselves and their communities playing catch-up.
Its for the good of ALL.
Where would the Roosters be without the Manly's & the Wests.

If players go to Union or Korfball so be it.

I still haven't heard a Roosters fan come up with anything sensible. All you guys say is "we are the best (not true btw), lets stamp on the rest".

As an Englishmen, I'm ashamed that Morley has to play under such a selfish, myopic bunch.
The point of the Salary Cap is not to sacrifice the development of Successful clubs to help out the poor clubs...Its to stop poor clubs going broke...AND ITS NOT WORKING. A raise wont make it worse than it is. A raise enables ALL clubs not just Easts, to be able to upgrade their player's packages, some of these guys havent had a pay rise in years and some have gone backwards to fit into the NRLs restraint of Trade. Tell me Taiwan when did you last get a pay rise???

And you obviously dont give a shit about League development or the quality of the game because you dont mind our boys going to Union. "So be it" doesnt cut it. Id rather a strong 12 team comp in 5 years time with a top 5, than nothing at all.

t-ba

Post Whore
And a court case gives Union the opportunity to sign a few players for a new domestic comp once 6 clubs go belly up...

melon....

Coach
t-ba the hutt said:
And a court case gives Union the opportunity to sign a few players for a new domestic comp once 6 clubs go belly up...
Not if theyre given a chance to feed the remaining NRL clubs....Union would and should be a last resort, not an automatic option. Not if the strugglers finally get their shit together, clean out their board and appoint seriously smart business people. We did and it worked why cant the others?