What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we all finally accept that stadiums are better than suburban parks?

Difference is I'm realistic about Hull Kr's future if we dont improve, and if we dont then we wont be in SL when the likes of Toronto and Toulouse and possibly NY in future years come knocking and that will be no ones fault but ours.

haha whinging because you cant ride your bike to the ground was classic and just about sums up everything that is wrong with suburban mentality of the game in Sydney.

PS so how many extra capacity will Shark park have after all this money is spent?

The capacity will not increase and nor should it- but the facilities and game day experience will be unrecognisable.You will be able to sit out on the terrace, which has views over the bay to the city, enjoy a restaurant quality meal, mosy on over to your deck chair and watch the game with a cold drink in your hand. When it is all done you will be able to stay in the onsite hotel. You can see a render of the terrace below.

r14_0_5487_3092_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Eastern Side..

This is what has been released at the moment.I have seen the updated images which have not yet been released to the public and it looks mint.

carcharias

Immortal
The capacity will not increase and nor should it- but the facilities and game day experience will be unrecognisable.You will be able to sit out on the terrace, which has views over the bay to the city, enjoy a restaurant quality meal, mosy on over to your deck chair and watch the game with a cold drink in your hand. When it is all done you will be able to stay in the onsite hotel. You can see a render of the terrace below.

r14_0_5487_3092_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Eastern Side..

This is what has been released at the moment.I have seen the updated images which have not yet been released to the public and it looks mint.

Looks better than kogarah

Perth Red

Post Whore
Seems to me that these developments have pretty much hamstrung any serious redevelopment of shark park into the future other than at the grass hill end. Maybe there is a longer term plan to share a new stadium with Dragons? Looks like both main stands would be impossible to rebuild after this development so doesn't leave much scope for capacity and undercover seating improvement?

Quicksilver

Bench
Seems to me that these developments have pretty much hamstrung any serious redevelopment of shark park into the future other than at the grass hill end. Maybe there is a longer term plan to share a new stadium with Dragons? Looks like both main stands would be impossible to rebuild after this development so doesn't leave much scope for capacity and undercover seating improvement?

If you really want to you can build a new stand at the northern end.

Generalzod

Immortal
Perth Red- Constantly moving the goal posts until a condition that he's come up with on himself isn't met.

Mate, maybe it's time you put your time into something productive rather than slagging off something you don't understand on the other side of the country.

How much time do you waste on here worrying about whether someone rides their bike and stands on a grass hill in Sydney to watch the sport we all love?

The stadium will be upgraded. It will hold about 20k. The vast majority of the crowd will be seated except for a few sections at either end. All four sides of the stadium will have seating. Local people will be happy. Rugby League will have good coverage in Sydney. It's all paid for.

Where is the argument?

You go about building your Perth Pirates or whatever, we'll continue to look after our yard.

Thanks.
dscn8214.jpg

Why would they want to redevelop? The ground is going to be a unique, boutique ground with one of the best game day experiences anywhere in the country. Now you are just being negative for the sake of it.

Generalzod

Immortal
We get it you hate the Sharks....

And I can tell you for a fact that there is absolutely no plan whatsoever for a stadium sharing plan with the Dragons other than for the next 2 years while construction disrupts use. You heard the CEO say it in the podcast and I have no doubt he is telling the truth. Why would they do all this work on Shark Park and then do another deal with the Dragons. WAKE. UP.

Quicksilver

Bench
Maybe the Dragons can come play at Pointsbet Stadium.

Once a year.

Against us.

They can rent it occasionally too if they feel the need.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why would they want to redevelop? The ground is going to be a unique, boutique ground with one of the best game day experiences anywhere in the country. Now you are just being negative for the sake of it.

Because you are not sustainable on your current sub 13k crowd avg. That's not my opinion it is shown in fact with the millions you are losing every year. Unless the LC refurb produces a multi million $ profit every year the $18mill in the bank isnt going to last long, and those in the know seem to be suggesting pokies are not a long term sustainable source of income
The only long term survival is building your attendance and corporate support. You're not alone, Dragons and Manly face the same problem and Penrith would if their pokie fund dries up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We get it you hate the Sharks....

I actually dont, as was mentioned my own lifelong SL club is in many ways in exactly the same boat as the sharks. What I hate is that the game is going nowhere and seems anchored in its growth by failing clubs. The whole Sydney scenario should be our greatest strength but isn't it is one of our greatest problems. Its not even about Perth getting a team at the expense of the Sharks, Id love a team here because I think it could help the game grow but I know we wont get one whilst the existing clubs are so weak. Its very frustrating as a fan of the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And I can tell you for a fact that there is absolutely no plan whatsoever for a stadium sharing plan with the Dragons other than for the next 2 years while construction disrupts use. You heard the CEO say it in the podcast and I have no doubt he is telling the truth. Why would they do all this work on Shark Park and then do another deal with the Dragons. WAKE. UP.

TBF he said there was no plans to relocate the club to another city, not anything about the stadium. Aside from LC game day activity (and you not be able to ride your bike to the game) is there a reason Sharks and Dragons playing out of a new 30k stadium in Southern Sydney wouldnt be a win for both clubs. IS there anywhere on the train line that would make geographical sense from a transport point of view?

Generalzod

Immortal
Because you are not sustainable on your current sub 13k crowd avg. That's not my opinion it is shown in fact with the millions you are losing every year. Unless the LC refurb produces a multi million $ profit every year the $18mill in the bank isnt going to last long, and those in the know seem to be suggesting pokies are not a long term sustainable source of income
The only long term survival is building your attendance and corporate support. You're not alone, Dragons and Manly face the same problem and Penrith would if their pokie fund dries up.
You know most clubs in the NRL comp lose money...Listen to what Phil Gould says:

Quicksilver

Bench

If it has a capacity of 20k (or whatever) so the ground isn't limited to 13k.

The corporate facilities are one of the things being upgraded.

Trying to raise money through crowds is probably the hardest way to make a dollar. Diverting money into other revenue making exercises would be more reliable and probably more profitable.

TBF he said there was no plans to relocate the club to another city, not anything about the stadium. Aside from LC game day activity (and you not be able to ride your bike to the game) is there a reason Sharks and Dragons playing out of a new 30k stadium in Southern Sydney wouldnt be a win for both clubs. IS there anywhere on the train line that would make geographical sense from a transport point of view?

Yes, in a perfect world there would be a brand spanking new Bankwest Style stadium somewhere in Sydneys south but it's a pipedream that will never happen- so its like discussing what you would do with the 150million powerball win; nice but a fantasy and ultimately a waste of time. I can tell you again, for a fact, that there has been no dialogue with the Dragons or with State Govt about it happening at board or executive level. It is simply not on the cards.

carcharias

Immortal
Shark park will be unreal
My missus can drop me off to watch the game.
She can go shopping and have a feed or whatever it is women do.
Then when the footy is done we both go home.
Sweet.