What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canada 18 def. USA 16 in thriller

league13

Juniors
First USA and now Canada!!!

Is there any teams in Canada, or are they some more internet creations with fake crowds?

I would suggest the USA stack the whole team with heritage players if the local comp is anything to go by! Did anyone see the Grand Final on You Tube, they couldnt get near an A Reserve team in Australia!

Talking of fake crowds,some RU clubs in the uK are so disappointed with crowds, that they have these lifelike dummies to make it look like a good crowd and supposedly give the game some atmosphere.I suggest you take your postings there.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
I like the opening line...

"Canada has stunned the USA by pulling off a first ever win against their North American rivals"

The only people who were 'stunned' were those who inhabit the make-believe world that is the AMNRL.

The Tomahawks could really struggle to Qualify for the WC if Jamaica pull in a few heritage players to bolster their side (which no doubt they'll do). A truly representative USA could push them all the way - a Knights/Bulls select certainly won't.

taking that into consideration, the USA really should of won this. Canada are once again new to international Rugby League and they seem to be developing well. Better then some people would of thought.

spooky

Juniors
The Canadians are a well coached, well disciplined team and they're taking these matches very seriously. They were gutted about the defeat in Philadelphia and the manner of it. I was fairly confident they'd beat the USA in the return leg. Richie Moore and Jamie Lester are doing a cracking job.

deluded pom?

Coach
If Canada continue as they are then I envisage them being the best team in the NA region inside five years. What they don't have to rely on is heritage players in abundance as Jamaica and to a lesser extent the USA have. In my opinion this is the only obstacle to them qualifying for the 2017 WC providing there's only one qualifier from the Atlantic region.

Steve Davy

Juniors
If Canada continue as they are then I envisage them being the best team in the NA region inside five years. What they don't have to rely on is heritage players in abundance as Jamaica and to a lesser extent the USA have. In my opinion this is the only obstacle to them qualifying for the 2017 WC providing there's only one qualifier from the Atlantic region.

There were very many American players who were not considered. I would imagine that there will be a resolution to that within five years.

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
There were very many American players who were not considered. I would imagine that there will be a resolution to that within five years.
You are probably right SD. But I don't think we will see the two groups come together. I believe most players and/or clubs will move over to the USARL. From what folks are saying the AMNRL (read Niu and co.) are doing a fairly poor job of organizing events such as the first leg of the Colonial Cup and I'm sure the qualifying tournament won't be much better. It's only a matter of time before people figure out that the USARL is more professionally run.
But the Canadians will keep pace. There is a move afoot to start a competition in British Columbia which should rival the Ontario competition and add more players to the Canadian fold.

Number 16

Juniors
You are probably right SD. But I don't think we will see the two groups come together. I believe most players and/or clubs will move over to the USARL. From what folks are saying the AMNRL (read Niu and co.) are doing a fairly poor job of organizing events such as the first leg of the Colonial Cup and I'm sure the qualifying tournament won't be much better. It's only a matter of time before people figure out that the USARL is more professionally run.

Is Niu/AMNRL's hold on the RLIF recognised Tomahawks the glue that holds clubs to the AMNRL. Why would individuals/clubs opt to join the rival comp. if it means surrendering the opportunity to play international footie? I guess that Niu etc are pinning their hopes on the USA coming through next month's Qualifiers to strengthen the AMNRL's hold. If you were a player would you jump ship and surrender your chance to play in a World Cup?

Conversely, if, as likely, the USA fail to qualify will there be a further movement towards the USARL?

deluded pom?

Coach
Is Niu/AMNRL's hold on the RLIF recognised Tomahawks the glue that holds clubs to the AMNRL. Why would individuals/clubs opt to join the rival comp. if it means surrendering the opportunity to play international footie? I guess that Niu etc are pinning their hopes on the USA coming through next month's Qualifiers to strengthen the AMNRL's hold. If you were a player would you jump ship and surrender your chance to play in a World Cup?

Conversely, if, as likely, the USA fail to qualify will there be a further movement towards the USARL?

On the opposite side of the coin. Would you stay with an AMNRL that constantly ignores your efforts as a player to give Tomahawks' places to mates of the coach. The two recent games in the Colonial Cup involved plenty of players from a team that had finished fifth in a six team division. The sixth team was an offshoot of team five anyway and weren't even viable. The team finishing third didn't have one player chosen. If you were a player at this team would you stay with the AMNRL because they have the recognition of the RLIF and access to international competition that you don't have a snowball in Hell's chance of playing in regardless of how you perform?

sharkies9

Juniors
Can anyone who watched the game comment on the players performances? Who looked good, who didn't belong? And how did those hawaian guys go?

spooky

Juniors
...But the Canadians will keep pace. There is a move afoot to start a competition in British Columbia which should rival the Ontario competition and add more players to the Canadian fold.

There's also hopefully an East Coast setup in the pipeline.

mother rucker

Juniors

As far as I know every pre-split USA Tomahawk player stayed loyal to their now USARL team but one. Apple Pope is the Captain of the USA team. He had to stay.
But I believe all the Philly, New Haven, Jacksonville and DC players stayed with their comp team.

MattyCLark

Juniors
As far as I know every pre-split USA Tomahawk player stayed loyal to their now USARL team but one. Apple Pope is the Captain of the USA team. He had to stay.
But I believe all the Philly, New Haven, Jacksonville and DC players stayed with their comp team.

I know that it ment more to me to play with my little brother, fresh back from 3yrs of rugby union in New Zealand. Then it was for me to sit around and maybe get selected. Last thing that I was told by Nui was "Keep training mate we'll give ya a call" Still haven't gotten the call back.
The messed up thing about it is that their are up and coming players in the USA that harder comp or not won't get a look by the Tomahawk coaching staff cause they don't want to. There are heaps of choice players right here in our local comp that could easy walk onto a international level.
I'm not saying it cause he's my little brother but I've played with and against NRL and Super league players and Casey Clark, Lock for the Jacksonville Axemen is one of the best rugby league players that I have played with and he's a rookie to the sport of RL. He's been playing Union since 14. But he dominates a hard 80 on the RL pitch. He's not the only over looked player. The whole of the USARL has a hand full of up and coming players.
Casey has a better chance of getting picked up overseas then at home. Heart breaking.
And as for me guess I'll just talk about when I did play for the Tomahawks.