What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canberra Raiders - crap town, moron fans, pooch rooter culture

Raider_69

Post Whore
We have a terrible drinking culture, far too many indiscretions in a period of time that involves drinking. The club needs to continue to educate and work with the player group to eradicate the issue. Its hurting the club's memebership and sponsorship and the latest one will definitely leave a rather large stain on the the codes image.

I will argue that our culture is a drinking one, not as some would suggest a beastiality one, as one isolated incident which was a drunken prank gone wrong, but regardless we have a terrible drinking culture that's effecting the club and codes image and it needs to be sorted ASAP.

I know the club is working hard with the player group to address the issue but maybe we need to be doing more. I guess every club can be doing more to address their issues though. We've sacked Todd Carney who was our brightest star and we've moved on Joel Monaghan, but the damage is done and we need to ensure we limit if not eliminate the incidences from our club to continue to help rebuild the club's image and reputation

Raider_69

Post Whore
Newy has Fannies, what has Canberra got?

Mooseheads.

/end thread :p

FTR on Canberra as a town, lived in Sydney all my life, am moving to Canberra end of this month, and am very much looking forward to it. Great town and what it lacks in beaches, it more than makes up for with its lack of drug addicts and used syringes lying in the street.
And the fact ive gotten under Macavity's skin enough to create this thread, cracks me up to no end. :lol:

Last edited:

joshreading

Staff member
Canberra is great. I would live here over most of Sydney. Most crew on here probably live in the west Hahahahahaha

perverse

Referee
i'd prefer to see societies' attitudes loosen up a bit on misbehaving sportspeople, tbh. the path we're on at the moment leads to a pretty boring bunch of blokes playing our sport. hell, our sport is built on the shoulders of misbehaviour and larriken shenanigans. any of the greats, face to face, will tell you the same i'm sure. they all thank their lucky stars they played in the eras they played in, even if they didn't walk away with a massive bank balance at the end of their career.

i'd go as far to say as i don't think any club will fix substance abuse until society has sorted it out itself - which, i must say, i can't see happening either. as it stands we continue to slip further and further backward. i think you're all bullsh*tting yourselves, and each other, preaching about trying to fix the problem etc. sure, you look good being politically correct, but at the end of the day - why can't people just put their hands up and accept their clubs, warts n all?

so the Knights boys may or may not enjoy a few pingas when they go out. sh*t, how about that, i actually have no problem with that whatsoever on a personal level. the only reason i give a sh*t at all is because if/when this hypothetical situation is exposed then the PC brigade will get waaaaay up their on their high horses, work themselves into such a frenzy about an issue that doesn't concern or involve them in the slightest that they are frothing at the mouth, and will drag my club through the mud for an activity i see a very large percentage of the population indulging in each and every weekend. of course, only to find out that they have unwillingly been a complete hypocrite when their own club is exposed for the next scandel.

i love my club, with its' (plentiful) faults and all. i find nothing but humour in the groups of fans who genuinely believe their club is clean-skinned, because they haven't read about it in the paper. talk about naive... wow.

i also love it how the syringe/druggo fairy comes out of hiding and places them all over Newcastle every time one of the Canberra boys allegedly visited here.

Last edited:

Raider_69

Post Whore
But perverse, your club, like any other, including mine is a business aswell as a sporting organisation. If these incidences are costing them money, be it in the form of sponsorship or season ticket holders, then surely the conduct of the players is a concern and part of the viability of the club.

I know a few people who aren't renewing their memberships with the raiders based on the Joel Monaghan situation. You or i may not like it, and i like you dont, but its a fact of modern day sports

These people ARE heroes to kids, they ARE role models, weather they signed up to be one or not. And our clubs ARE businesses in need of maximising income and minimising bad publicity.
Im far from the PC brigade, im a heavy drinker, most of my family say too heavy, i tell em to get stuffed, i go to work each day, i never miss anything needing to be done because of the drink and if i need to be sober for an event, i can do so without issue, and i know many recreation drug users who do the same, no skin off my nose, but we're talking about some serious $$ here and the players behaviour is costing our clubs and our code some serious $$.
If RL is to continue to grow and be the game it can be, it needs to eradicate the Joel Monaghan, Nate Myles, Danny Wicks, et al. incidences from our game, or at the very least minimising it. And we dont do that by burying our heads in the sand and ignoring the issues facing our clubs and code.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
isn't it case of saying Canberra -- but really meaning Goulburn?

Canberra is OK. Architect designed urban utopia, from someone who studied at the foot of Frank Lloyd Wright.

But Goulburn is feral in a single mum, car on blocks in the front yard, foul smelling Aunty, bodies -in-a-barrel, baby corpses on rubbish tips sort of A Current Affair sort of way?

Not sure about the above, most of that sort haunt the town because their people are bunged up in the prison. The majority of Goulburnites are good old fashioned country folk.
FTR goulburn in winter is f**king ridiculously cold.

perverse

Referee
Not sure about the above, most of that sort haunt the town because their people are bunged up in the prison.
so, they are there then, is what you are saying. who cares why?
The majority of Goulburnites are good old fashioned country folk.
most people, particularly Sydney wankers, will read this as "The majority of Goulburnites are good old fashioned bogans". the irony of course being that some of the biggest bogans in Australia hail from Sydney - particularly its' western suburbs.

_Johnsy

Referee
Don't diss Goulburn. That's where the police college is. BunniesMan will be spending 8 months of his life there.

Who%20Are%20You%20Kidding%20logo.jpg

_Johnsy

Referee
so, they are there then, is what you are saying. who cares why?

most people, particularly Sydney wankers, will read this as "The majority of Goulburnites are good old fashioned bogans". the irony of course being that some of the biggest bogans in Australia hail from Sydney - particularly its' western suburbs.

Any decent sized town has its share of bogans. The funny thing is, each cities bogans are slightly different.

perverse

Referee
Any decent sized town has its share of bogans. The funny thing is, each cities bogans are slightly different.
it's true. boganism is regional. there are common traits, though.

VL and VK Commodores are pretty much agreed upon as the ultimate in bogan motoring, for example.

El Diablo

Post Whore
we used to have penty of booners in Canberra years ago

spose i was a bit of one back then

never hear the term booner these days

_Johnsy

Referee
Example I picture;

Melb/Vic bogan = wearing trackie dacks (usually adidas or puma) a very white newish pair of runners, tatts galore, mullet or shaved head (beannie optional), thick gold chain & ac/dc with pack of winie blues rolled up in a sleeve (or blue wife beater singlet). Often has his own "chopper" style moe (Ed harry shirt optional)
images

Sydney = Often shaved head sometimes mullet with (Flanno shirt in winter), blue singlet or HSV/Ford/Jim beam/aussie pride t-shirt underneath, stonewash tight jeans (in winter) or footy shorts in summer and thongs with the Aussie pride/Sthn Cross tatt. (Ed harry shirt optional)
images

Canberra = No words needed
Todd-Carney-uncensored.jpg

SA/Adelaide bogan = Yeah it's true. Even Adelaide has them
images

Who wants to do QLD, WA, TAS & NT

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
When do you go down BM?
Haven't got a date yet, going through the application process at the moment. For some reason they want to make sure I have enough education, that I'm not obese, that I don't have any psychological issues and that I don't have a criminal record...when I jump through all the hoops I'll be told when I start.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Haven't got a date yet, going through the application process at the moment. For some reason they want to make sure I have enough education, that I'm not obese, that I don't have any psychological issues and that I don't have a criminal record...when I jump through all the hoops I'll be told when I start.

Take it from someone on the inside, you will be waiting a while. Only like 30 were taken down in October, none as far as I know in January and May looks to be cancelled as well.

_Johnsy

Referee
Haven't got a date yet, going through the application process at the moment. For some reason they want to make sure I have enough education, that I'm not obese, that I don't have any psychological issues and that I don't have a criminal record.

In all seriousness if you cannot fathom why, don't other applying.

Be prepared to wait for 12 months, maybe more.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
BM. What do you mean they want to check that you have the right amount of education?

Also, what do you study at Uni again?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
f**king hate canberra..

grew up there, couldn't wait to get the f**k out, and never want to go back if i can help it...

f**king cesspool of a place that has no soul and is full of wankers..

and yes, i prefer victoria over canberra, that's how bad it is..

oh yeah.. RCB, you were wrong..

riot free since forever

nope.. had the summernats riot on new years eve some time in the 90s...

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
going through the application process at the moment. For some reason they want to make sure I have enough education, that I'm not obese, that I don't have any psychological issues .

well, if that's the case, don't let them read any of your posts on here... you'll never get in..

Latest posts