What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canberra Raiders for the spoon ?

The Whippet

Juniors
We saw that the Raiders couldn't win without Wiki in 2004, they just had no direction at all. So now they have lost him and have replaced him with some old Super League lad how will they be any better? Plus they haven't replaced Davico.

Phil Graham is always injured, everyone knows that and Michael Weyman same story.

Matthew Elliott isn't that good, he doesn't know how to coach the halves or give any attack to his team.

Raider Azz

Bench
The Whippet said:
We saw that the Raiders couldn't win without Wiki in 2004, they just had no direction at all. So now they have lost him and have replaced him with some old Super League lad how will they be any better? Plus they haven't replaced Davico.
What do you mean we couldnt win without Wiki? Our two best performances of the year, vs. The Broncos at Suncorp and vs. The Bulldogs at Gosford were WITHOUT Wiki. No idea what you're talking about there.

We don't need to replace Davico, we have Hodgson, Miller and Weyman.

simon says

First Grade
So you think that the Raiders went better without Wiki in the team.......dream on.

No Wiki and Davico means big issues.....all yer fire and go forward gone IMHO.....

Its SPOONTIME>>>>>>

Raider Azz

Bench
:sleeper:

Whilst I am unsure of whether we will make the 8, I am 100% positive of one thing, we will finish above the Tigers.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers.

thickos

First Grade
Raider_Azz said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers.

Admin, it seems Simon says has hacked Azz's account, only one person dribbles on in this manner :p

simon says

First Grade
The green slops never ends.....like an eveready battery it just goes on and on.

Really looking forward to watching them fall in a heap,hopefully it may slow the neverending bleating down for a minute.....

But what about their PL guys???.....

thickos

First Grade
simon says said:
But what about their PL guys???.....

What about your PL guys?

Two teams of hacks it seems.

VB Premier League Table 2004:

Dragons 43
Roosters 43
Sea Eagles 35
Raiders 34 (did I mention they were the 2003 champs?)
Cougars 33
Eels 32
Bulldogs 26
Tigers 26
Sharks 26
Jets 23
Rabbitohs 22
Magpies 20
Knights 19
Bears 10

all that money, resources for the JV.... and yet we have both of your teams covered. The same thing can be said about first grade.

Cheers.
8)

Edwahu

Bench
We have a good record of producing enough first graders based on a huge resource of quality juniors on our back step to be around mid table even in our worst seasons. Thats the difference between us and the usual suspects who fail to make the semis or any real impact year after year.

TIGERPies

Juniors
sliding down that ladder
:arrow: to the bottom of the table
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Iafeta

Referee
westie said:
thickos said:

Heard it all before ozboy, you're entitled to your opinion but as an outsider (I'm sure you are not a Raiders fan) you are probably not in the know.

Matt Elliott certainly did not want all those players to leave. Far from it. And it was not a mass exodus because of disharmony or something like that. Drew was punted (and rightly so), Davico was granted a release but had issues with management due to his behaviour, Wiki wanted to return home afer 11 years of loyal service and McLinden probably thought his time was up in the ACT. The only dodgy one is Joel Monaghan, but that has been the subject of many threads.

Sure, that is a big chunk of the 2004 team. You can't replace some of those guys, especially Wiki. But I think we have come out of it better than expected. Lincoln Withers is a great buy. Kinda takes over the Brad Drew role, a hooker/half utility that will fill in for Woolford when he's off. Plus he is a better defender than Drewy.

Craig Frawley will do a good job replacing Monas. Frawley seemed to be in really good form this year before a late injury. He came down from Brisbane looking for an opportunity and I hope he shines.

You have to remember that we didn't have Phil Graham for all of 2004 bar 4 games - he adds a lot of strike power to the team and will walk into the backline no dramas.

Matt Adamson seemed a strange buy but I see the logic behind it somewhat. The biggest thing we have lost is experience - Wiki and Davico add up to 400 games between them. With a pack of good young kids coming through we need some old heads to guide the way, and with Adamson's aggression he could come in handy. I think he can still offer something in his final year. I would have preferred to keep Wiki but you can't have everything.

Jason Smith is the real wild card - if his shoulder holds up he is the kind of player we could have really used over the past two seasons with our power game in the forwards. We've been lacking a stable head in the halves and he can provide that either in the 6 or the 13 jersey. With Campese and Carney waiting in the wings, his experience will hopefully counteract the rash decisions those guys may make in their youth.

I'm sure you've read plenty on Todd Carney - the kid comes with big wraps - straight from SG Ball to the First grade squad in 2004. Junior Kangaroo and origin. He went well in his 5 first grade games this season. Hopefully he gets given an extended run in the #7. Good enough - old enough.

With Weyman also an exciting prospect in the forwards, plus the nucleus of the 2003 PL champions I think we will be OK. We wont win it and we may miss the 8, but I think we will surprise all of you.

But, being footy, you just never know.

That and 500,000 big ones.

Try $300,000 big ones. He was returning home, and also at the time of signing his sister was missing so it made him more eager to return home.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Iafeta said:
westie said:
thickos said:

Heard it all before ozboy, you're entitled to your opinion but as an outsider (I'm sure you are not a Raiders fan) you are probably not in the know.

Matt Elliott certainly did not want all those players to leave. Far from it. And it was not a mass exodus because of disharmony or something like that. Drew was punted (and rightly so), Davico was granted a release but had issues with management due to his behaviour, Wiki wanted to return home afer 11 years of loyal service and McLinden probably thought his time was up in the ACT. The only dodgy one is Joel Monaghan, but that has been the subject of many threads.

Sure, that is a big chunk of the 2004 team. You can't replace some of those guys, especially Wiki. But I think we have come out of it better than expected. Lincoln Withers is a great buy. Kinda takes over the Brad Drew role, a hooker/half utility that will fill in for Woolford when he's off. Plus he is a better defender than Drewy.

Craig Frawley will do a good job replacing Monas. Frawley seemed to be in really good form this year before a late injury. He came down from Brisbane looking for an opportunity and I hope he shines.

You have to remember that we didn't have Phil Graham for all of 2004 bar 4 games - he adds a lot of strike power to the team and will walk into the backline no dramas.

Matt Adamson seemed a strange buy but I see the logic behind it somewhat. The biggest thing we have lost is experience - Wiki and Davico add up to 400 games between them. With a pack of good young kids coming through we need some old heads to guide the way, and with Adamson's aggression he could come in handy. I think he can still offer something in his final year. I would have preferred to keep Wiki but you can't have everything.

Jason Smith is the real wild card - if his shoulder holds up he is the kind of player we could have really used over the past two seasons with our power game in the forwards. We've been lacking a stable head in the halves and he can provide that either in the 6 or the 13 jersey. With Campese and Carney waiting in the wings, his experience will hopefully counteract the rash decisions those guys may make in their youth.

I'm sure you've read plenty on Todd Carney - the kid comes with big wraps - straight from SG Ball to the First grade squad in 2004. Junior Kangaroo and origin. He went well in his 5 first grade games this season. Hopefully he gets given an extended run in the #7. Good enough - old enough.

With Weyman also an exciting prospect in the forwards, plus the nucleus of the 2003 PL champions I think we will be OK. We wont win it and we may miss the 8, but I think we will surprise all of you.

But, being footy, you just never know.

Try $300,000 big ones. He was returning home, and also at the time of signing his sister was missing so it made him more eager to return home.

as i understand it his sister going missing is the tip of the ice berg in terms of his family troubles, that was a large reason to go home, the help sort his family out and also he wanted his children to be raised in NZ with his family, playing footy there and getting an extra 250-200 k for it sealed the deal for Wiki. Definatly cant hold it against him.

The Whippet

Juniors
Canberra are responsible for their own demise, they failed to re-sign big name players like Ruben Wiki and Joel Monaghan before the June 30 deadline, which they could have done, both players said that they would have re-signed.

Luke Davico was released by the club because he thought that he was going to be heading to Melbourne in a swap.

Some of the most injury prone players in the competition; Phillip Graham, Jason Smith, Michael Weyman and Craig Frawley

nqboy

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
Iafeta said:
westie said:
thickos said:

...Wiki wanted to return home afer 11 years of loyal service ...

as i understand it his sister going missing is the tip of the ice berg in terms of his family troubles, that was a large reason to go home, the help sort his family out and also he wanted his children to be raised in NZ with his family, playing footy there and getting an extra 250-200 k for it sealed the deal for Wiki. Definatly cant hold it against him.
Could've saved some space and quoted it like this guys.

woodgers

Bench
Just on this topic that has managed to find its way into numerous threads. I love it, couldn't be more delighted. My club does really well when our backs are to the wall and no one expects anything out of us. Elliott, like him or not, also thrives on this attitude and is doing nothing really to defend against the people claiming we will get the spoon. He will have the 'seige' mentality in by round 2 against the Knights.

We may have a few injury prone players but that doesn't really bother me at this stage. I am pretty sure that our club would be the only one whereas the top 25 players would all have 1st grade experience. People can call us the pensioners club all they want but at the end of the day our average age in the top squad is 23 or something similar. If we have a dismal season then these players will no doubt gain a lot. If not and we do well then we are laying the platform for a premiership with so many young guys playing together and forming a squad for the future. What does Elliott have to lose, he will get sacked if we plod along in 8-10 position each year anyway?

Don't forget that Wiki was suspended for a large amount of 2003 & 2004. Davico had his fair share of injuries, McLinden was the little pig who couldn't jump the wall no matter how hard he tried and Drew isn't worth the bother explaining otherwise I would be here all day.

I am not suggesting that we will win the comp. I am however very pleased that Elliott is starting with a better base than when he took over from Mal and is building for the future. I am thrilled he is backing the ability of our juniors, which makes you want to get out and support our local boys each week.

Also, whoever wrote Brad Drew as a loss didn't see many Canberra games, although judging by a lot of assessments in this thread most people haven't watched too much of the Raiders anyway. Drew was Pathetic in his time here and that is being kind.

Im not even going to bother commenting in this thread, like someone just told me, a lot of you arent commenting here because of the team, you comment here because of your dislike for the raiders supporters, and half the stuff posted by some people (there are some very constructive things said in here by other clubs supporters) is just plain crap, some of you should take a look at your own clubs, look at newcastle for instance, once johns retires they wont have a hope in hell of winning a premiership again unless kurt gidley picks his game up, look at parramatta, sea eagles, roosters (who just lost one of the best players to ever play).

Its open season on the premiership and wooden spoon this year, its anyones ball game.