What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights *Match Discussion & Live Scores* SPOILERS

Who Will Win and What Margin ?

• Raiders 1-12

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Raiders 13+

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Knights 1-12

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Knights 13+

Votes: 21 30.9%
  • Slim chance of a Draw ?

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jobdog

Live Update Team
mongoose said:
Can't beleive we played that well but i have to say Johns was absolutely awful tonight. One of his worst games ever.

I think canberra are going to have some big wins and big losses this season, but we will not get the spoon.
Johns was diabolical, no question about it. If you guys play as decent as you did tonight for a good portion of the year, you'll finish in the eight

strewth_mate

Bench
Can we win with Joey? :(

Top stuff from Canberra, haven't seen a team run their forwards so consistently over the advantage line like that for a while. Would have been great to watch if it wasn't so painful...

In the first 50 minutes it didn't look to me like either team was able to run away with it, but that's what momentum does to you. Everything Canberra touched turned to gold, with strong running, willing backup, and clever kicks against a hapless (fullback-less?) opposition. Don't think it was worth a near half ton given the tone of the game, that said, Canberra well deserved the win regardless of the blowout.

scottyeel

Bench
Jobdog said:
Btw where's Parra again?
Still 1 win behind Newcastle.
Not too bad considering we have the very worst halves combination in the comp and forwards who think they don't have to run hard.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Jobber, it was 30-0 from the 50th minute, that's the 30 unanswered I was getting at.

Timmah

Staff member
9 days ago:

How long til St George lose another game... how long? /
The Knights are Coming / The Knights are Coming...

Tonight:

How long till the Knights get smacked by the Raiders again, how long?
The Knights! Are choking! The Knights! Are choking!!!!

Stranger

Coach
Timmah, stop talking rubbish.

Canberra were outstanding tonight. Probably never seen a better team performance. I'm disappointed in the result, but geez that was an awsome display.

Stranger

Coach
I havent seen a team play as good as that since the Knights v Broncos in 2001. That was magic.

Timmah

Staff member
You're only as good as your last game... and that was woeful Knights stuff. Having said that, Bedsy returns on Saturday and I really do think we might see a wonderful performance from him to crush Melbourne.

Or just beat them by a couple.

Either way I'll be tipping Newie next week.

Electric_Eels

Juniors
not very often you say "oh that was an awesome try" and it was scored by canberra, but i reckon it was true for a couple in the second half. good on em.

Knightmare

Coach
For whatever reason, Newcastle never do well in Canberra. With the exceptions of last year and 2001 of course, although Brett Finch handed the latter to Newcastle in wrapping paper. Too much dropped ball and too many mistakes cost Newcastle tonight- if they'd had better posession they might have been alot better chance of matching Canberra all the way. Newcastle usually account for the Raiders fairly well at EAS. It's only round 3, way too early to be writing Johns off or saying the Raiders are top 8 certainties. This time last year, the Cowboys were meant to win the comp....

azza

Juniors
Agreed KnightMare, but with respect to the Raiders, given the bagging they have copped during the pre-season I think it is fair to recognise they have a VERY promising set of juniors coming through who will make them a pretty good side in times to come.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Canberra fans in a state of toe-curling ejaculation need to reign it in a little. The performance tonight was outstanding, no doubt. Carney, Zillmah, Dobson, Tilse, and a few others really shone and there's no doubting they've all got huge futures. Will those futures be at Canberra? For the fans sake, I hope so.

The Knights were diabolical tonight. I can say without exageration that in ten years as a fan of the team I have never seen such a complete and utter sh*thouse performance. Of a team of seventeen only one, a nineteen year old forward, stood up and looked like he gave a damn. I have never seen Joey that complacent during a loss, and I have never seen my side drop so much ball in such simple situations. It was as if they didn't care whether they won or lost.

If Canberra play like they did tonight every week, they'll be a force to be reckoned with. If Newcastle play like they did tonight every week, we'll be deserving winners of a wooden spoon. Canberra could have beaten almost any side in the NRL on tonight's performance, and Newcastle would have struggled to beat anyone.

Well, except Sydney.

My point is that one big win does not make a sudden premiership force full of Origin stars in the making just like one thrashing does not turn the Knights into spoon certainties and Joey into a washed up old man. If things continue in the trend, maybe then it's time to go around spouting things like:

Carney >>>>> Mullen

Raider_69

Post Whore
face facts CWB, i called it last year, the stats backed me, carney's performances at fg level have always had mullens covered, they are great mates off the park and will form a formitable combination for NSW for years to come, but there can be no doubting it, Carney is ahead of mullen at this point in time and thats not to bag mullen who is a sublime talent, but flat to the wall, carney is playing better footy at FG level. Mullen is also younger from memory so carney has had the jump in age and experience stakes