What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers - Round 2

raidersfan

Juniors
Ok we've slain the Dragons in a tough contest but it's time to move on and cage the minor Premiers.

In Round 2 the Raiders have some selection difficulties due to all our Wingers being fit. Elliot now has the choice of using either Robertson, Graham, or Gafa and Brad Drew should be "fit" enough to play although he'll probebly find something wrong with himself like a chipped toe nail and he'll be ruled out for a few weeks.
Anyway this is the team I think Matty should run with

1. Schifcofske
2. Robertson
3. Bulgarelli
4. Mogg
5. Monaghan
6. McLindon
7. Drew
8. O'hara
9. Woolford (c)
10. Davico
11. Wiki
12. Hindmarsh
13. Croker

14. Cross
15. Martin
16. Smith
17. Graham
18. Gafa
19. Hogson

2 to be omitted :)

Who do you think should be in the squad?

Raider_69

Post Whore
after cutting pretty sick over selections last week, im now wiping the egg off my face so im not gonna attempt a team

however im quietly confident about friday night
why o why did i ever doubt god (matty elliot)

Anonymous

Juniors
I would like to see:

1-Schifcofske
2-Graham
3-Bulgarelli
4-Mogg
5-Monaghan
6-Campese
7-McLinden
8-O'Hara
9-Woolford
10-Davico
11-Hindmarsh
12-Wiki
13-Croker

14-Cross
15-Drew
16-Martin
17-Hodgson
18-Robertson
19-Smith
20-Lawrence

3 to be omitted, really too close to call!

woodgers

Bench
Drew in for Lawrence should be the only one. At the start of the year I was more for Graham than Robbo, but after today I have changed my mind. The reason for this is our style. We play that one out stuff and Robbo, even though a midget attempts hit ups. Graham probably couldn't do the same.

brenno

Juniors
yeah i think you gotta keep robbo there, he's definetely in for a big year imo. Only change i can forsee is drewy for lawrence (if mr potato head is right to play). Ideally, i'd like to see campese in the 6.

thickos

First Grade
Its a tough call this one - I'd love Graham in the team somewhere but where do you put him??? Robbo was pretty solid yesterday, does the hit-ups. Boogas is never gonna get dropped in his current form, he's looking good and Elliott loves him. Did a mountain of work! I agree, only change is Drew for Lawrence....

although a big thumbs up to Lawrence as he was the guy that ankle-tapped Barrett, possibly contributing to the fumble! :lol:

greeneyed

First Grade
From today's CT:

Lights, camera, action for first home game
By Chris Wilson
Monday, 15 March 2004

Canberra Raiders captain Simon Woolford says Friday night's game against defending premiers the Penrith Panthers is the chance for instant credibility.

The Raiders won their first seven games last year but critics tried to devalue the start by claiming Canberra had an easy draw.

There could be no such accusation this season. Having beaten the highly-rated St George Illawarra Dragons yesterday, Woolford is excited the Raiders get an early test against the defending champions.

There will be lights - it is Canberra's first night game of the season. There will be cameras - it will be the Friday night match of the round. And Woolford promises there will be action for Canberra's opening home game of the year.

"Penrith would be disappointed because they were at home first-up and had a loss, so they're going to improve on that. We'll definitely improve on today as well. It augurs well for a massive game," Woolford said. "We had one of the toughest games of the first round today - St George full-strength at their home ground. We played really well in the first half, but the second half we just had to play tough to get out of a hole. I'm proud of the way the boys did it."

Halfback Mark McLinden and replacement forward Ben Cross both suffered corks yesterday, but play-maker Brad Drew (sternum) and forward Troy Thompson (knee) are both due to play their first games of the season.

The Raiders will have a recovery session this morning to assess injuries but Raiders coach Matt Elliott said the team would also have a solid workout.

"We've only got a short turn- around so it'll be nice to have a few troops available," Elliott said.

"I thought Penrith played really well against Newcastle. It was a high quality game, probably of a superior quality to our game today - we made too many errors in the second half. I think we're very evenly matched. The short turn- around at this time of year shouldn't be a major factor."

Elliott said possession would the crucial factor against the Panthers. The Raiders held the Dragons to just a penalty goal in the first half yesterday, battering the home side in defence.

Canberra's attack was pedestrian at times, but Elliott was happy with the first-up effort.

"We can defend that way when we get our share of the possession," Elliott said.

"I would have liked to see better execution in everything we did but, as far as the first game goes, we hadn't practised to be too flamboyant."

DrewBeliever

Juniors
1. Schifcofske
2. Graham
3. Bulgarelli (awsome)
4. Mogg
5. Monahgan
6. McLinden
7. Drew
8. O'Hara
9. Woolford
10. Davico
11. Wiki
12. Hindemarsh
13. Toots

14. Benny Cross
15. Tezza
16. Smith
17. Graham
18. Robertson
19. Hodgson

choc_soldier

Coach
Friday is going to be HUUUUUGE!

We are hurting after last Friday, we're very hungry to get on the board. And I rate the Raiders as a team. You played well against the Dragons yesterday.

I think this match could be as close as the Knights clash.

Panthers to win! 8)

Poida_Raider

Bench
oooh i'll predict the panthers to thrash the raiders by 30... haaha ok, actually the raiders in a close one! by 8 points

Montz

Juniors
1. Schifcofske
2. Graham
3. Bulgarelli
4. Mogg
5. Monahgan
6. Campese
7. McLinden
8. O'Hara
9. Woolford (c)
10. Davico