What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canberra Raiders vs Cronulla Sharks (spoilers)

aussies1st

Staff member
Mal Meninga said:
Frawley came back when howell got kicked in the arse.

:lol:

Also forgot about Mogg, he had a ripper of a game. Hes found some good form on the wing.

White Poiner

Coach
All in all, Canberra were sh*t.
Cronulla are not a 1 man team anymore..

Good luck for the rest of the year..At least you will beat souths

BAY72

Juniors
White Poiner said:
All in all, Canberra were sh*t.
Cronulla are not a 1 man team anymore..

Good luck for the rest of the year..At least you will beat souths
Ha ha
Not with that effort we'll be lucky to not get the spoon this year.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Hey, not bad! We went 7 posts without blaming the coach! We went almost a page without blaming Howell!

Honestly, why people don't just cut and paste their posts from the last loss is beyond me.

You know, this team is doing OK. Just about everyone had the Raiders pegged for the spoon this year. Anywhere north of that and they deserve a little credit, anyway.

I like watching Canberra play. I like watching young players coming through the grades. I really bloody hate the constant whining on these pages, though.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Tokyo_Raider said:
I like watching Canberra play. I like watching young players coming through the grades. I really bloody hate the constant whining on these pages, though.

i take it your as keen to see elliott go as i am then
BTW 3 trys were ran in throught a corridoor between Howell and his winger Purtell... great player:roll: :roll:

BAY72

Juniors
PRKLCD said:
Where are all the people sicking up for him????

The only thing I was sicking up this afternoon was my lunch.
that was the most pathetic effort I've seen in years. We literaly lost the game in the first 20 minuts (AGAIN).

fact is, if they had only scored once in the fist 20 we probably would have one the game...

this sort of game plan has got to stop.
The backs have got to be changed or taught how to tackle.

this one out running all the time is not just boring but predictable.
and for fu(k sake, if they are going to use a high kick, don't you think they should teach them how to catch the thing first.
not one of the Raiders can catch a ball in the air. which means as soon as they touch the ball they can be tackled. thats if they get there first, cause most of the time the other team has already scored.

one of the bigggest let downs today was that for every tackle it took 3-4 peolple to bring them down, and even then they almost alway got the ball away, resulting in huge gaps in the defence.

this team needs a seriouse shake up. Cause we look like complete amateurs!!

RK

First Grade
I totally agree.

I am absolutely disgusted with their sloppy play of the balls, their running sideways rather then forward. It felt like they didnt want to be there. The best part of the game was when they scored I think three tries in a row. I was sick to my stomach after that.

edabomb

First Grade
Tokyo_Raider said:
It's raining in Shinjuku tonight.

I blame the coach.

:lol::lol::lol: Same in Wellington.

Dude, what the hell do you do in Tokyo?? How do you see the games?

Raider_69

Post Whore
he doesnt see them, but the stench of david howell's performance can be smelt from canberra to canada

dubby

Bench
PRKLCD said:
I copped a bagging from a few people who said that Withers has been playing well...... Well WTF did he do today? Sure he wasn't the only player, but he is our....cough...cough halfback. It's a joke he is in first grade.

Where are all the people sicking up for him????

Right here. I admit, Linc made some stupid errors, but was he the only one who made errors? Was he the one who let in 4 tries? Was he the only one missing tackles and fumbling the ball?

For the love of Jeff, take a look at the team and see the obvious; they collapsed under the pressure of a fired up and enthusiastic Sharks team that came to the ACT with a plan on how to beat the Raiders: attack our right side defence, rush up in defence and force us into errors. From there, the boys imploded.
Simple as that.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Marc Herbert [CNTDN] said:
:lol::lol::lol: Same in Wellington.

Dude, what the hell do you do in Tokyo?? How do you see the games?

I actually live in Noosa now - the Tokyo_Raider name orginated a couple of years ago while I was based in Japan. I travel a lot for business though (schedules planned around Foxtel coverage of Raiders games!!), so I spend a lot of time poring over coverage on nrl.com !

thickos

First Grade
I have to agree with Ed's original comment - 'the mental toughness of a pea'.

Clearly we cannot play as favourites and after talking it up all week after knocking off a woeful Parra, suddenly the mentality that we're a pretty reasonable football team has taken hold.

Ship them off to a sports psychologist or something because at the end of the day we're an average side that needs to do the simple things right each week to be a chance.

Defensively though we are a massive worry, every loss so far in 2006 has led to 30+ points conceded!!! :x

aussies1st

Staff member
I don't think our defence has been fixed since the Knights killed us. Clearly a major weaknes on our own try line. All the opposition need to do is hold onto the ball.

woodgers

Bench
Yeah, truly terrible. That first 20 minutes was horrific. We may have had a chance to stay with them at that time when Mogg knocked on when he only had to catch the footy and plant it. It was that same backline play from the past 2 weeks and it worked again!

To be honest the biggest thing to come out of watching the game yesterday was I have a lot more respect for Stuart Raper. He did his homework and attacked the right side defence as we have all been talking about this year. Some of the tries down there were pathetic to say the least. Finally Elliott gave in and swapped Howell to the left and put Mogg out there and the sharks countered this by heading towards him again. They certainly kicked towards him for that 1st try of the 2nd half. It was proof that you can’t hide players at this level.

Purtell was woeful as well. When you consider that Phil scored some great tries in PL (4 tries I think?), you really have to wonder what the hell the coach is thinking. A semi fit Phil is 80 times the player Howell or Purtell is combined. One thing I would like to point out is this. A lot of people on here and also Matt Elliott don’t think Carney should be in 1st grade because he ‘isn’t ready’. This is even though he has played 2 years in PL. Purtell has barely played a PL game, gets put straight into first grade, struggles big time and forms a shoddy combination with Howell which every team knows and targets, yet Elliott keeps him there and plays them together! It is like he is doing it to prove some stupid point. Elliott played a big role in us losing that match yesterday because he doesn’t know when to admit something isn’t working. He keeps persisting with a bad combination and that first 20 minutes it was exposed badly again.

Exactly, How Phil wasn't selected to play yesterday is beyond me. Howell worse than Gafa IMO. Both offer nothing with the ball, but at least Gafa could tackle a bit. If Howell lines up against the knights this week, Matt Elliot needs to go immediately. Withers also needs to go back to Reggies or at least the bench.

I honestly don't think we will win another game until we play souths. If any team watches the video of our game against the sharks, they will know how to beat us easily

Mal Meninga

Bench
We already got a small glimpse of it argy-bargy.
Didn't you see Toots 360 move followed up by a 180 close to the Sharks goal line on the 3rd or 4th tackle? We are gonna fool opponents so badly!

Panjabi

Juniors
Quote from todays CT from Matt Elliot.

"I think Phil's (Graham) a first-grade player".

What would of happened had Graham not scored 4 tries? Would he be relegated to Premier League for an extended period of time as was the case in 2004 when Bulgarelli was consistenly picked ahead of him.

Elliot 'thinks' Graham is up to it! Phil Graham offers more than Howell and Purtell and our super coach is still not convinced. Purtell came back from Injury earlier this season straight to Firsts and Graham was sent to PL, where's the consistency?

Raider Ultra

Bench
Let's face it, who was surprised at the way we played yesterday? I certainly wasn't. Whenever we are 'favourites', we always play like we just have to turn up to win. One step forward, two step backwards.