What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Cannonball" Luke

some11

Referee
Sanderp on Hoffman was one of the worst this year, must be something they teach at souffs for the little men.

sanderp.jpg

ceagle

Bench
short man syndrome it seems, they think that diving at the legs is "pulling of a big hit"

afinalsin666

First Grade
The problem i see with these tackles is that they aren't black-and-white. The ball carrier has to be stopped; that is the very foundation of the game.
Do you rule out all third man leg tackles? What constitutes excessive force? When is it okay to do it? Can you do it one-on-one? Two-on-one? More to the point, how are the refs supposed to make the call, when there is so much grey area?

Something needs to be done, definitely, i just have no clue as to what it is.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
The problem i see with these tackles is that they aren't black-and-white. The ball carrier has to be stopped; that is the very foundation of the game.
Do you rule out all third man leg tackles? What constitutes excessive force? When is it okay to do it? Can you do it one-on-one? Two-on-one? More to the point, how are the refs supposed to make the call, when there is so much grey area?

Something needs to be done, definitely, i just have no clue as to what it is.

All you have to do is make it against the rules for a player to target the knees of a attacking player from behind. That is where the damage is being done.

It will become like a shoulder charge or a lifting/dropping tackle, you can do it but if it goes wrong and becomes dangerous then you deal with the suspension.

Melbourne Storm have shown this year that you can use this technique at a slower pace and there is no harm to the attacking player.

ceagle

Bench
Leading with you shoulder constitutes excessive force, if a player uses their arms to wrap up the legs, no harm can be done, it would be very easy to police.

Mr Saab

Referee
Luke will get his...but then he has been getting his all his career as he plays for Souffffffffffs

BunniesMan

Immortal
Way to ruin a perfect joke with newly aquired wiki facts.
I looked at your hidden post because of my misguided naivety that you'd have a decent post in this thread.

It's safe to say I've forgotten more about history, especially WW2, than you'll learn in your entire life.

I've read close to 100 books solely on WW2. Along with autobiographies, reading about WW2 is one of my passions. Don't think for a second you know more than me on the subject.

Danish

Referee
Leading with you shoulder constitutes excessive force, if a player uses their arms to wrap up the legs, no harm can be done, it would be very easy to police.

That's what Luke did today and Shillo still did his knee.

It's a contact sport in which we all encourage full bore shoulder charge collisions. Players are going to get injured.

Or Craig Wing half a season?

Let's not forget the genesis of this type of '3rd man in'/cannonball tackle was Riley Brown on Wing in Round 1 2008.

Thats not a "cannonball", thats a "prowler".

LOL is RL the only sport in the world that has odd names like this for their tackles ?:crazy:

Big Sam

First Grade
Thats not a "cannonball", thats a "prowler".

LOL is RL the only sport in the world that has odd names like this for their tackles ?:crazy:

IIRC Brown was 3rd man and came in at pace leading with his shoulder. Isn't that the definition of a "cannonball"?

IIRC Brown was 3rd man and came in at pace leading with his shoulder. Isn't that the definition of a "cannonball"?

"Prowler" Riley Brown seeks redemption with Titans

RILEY Brown is determined to put the injury nightmare of 2009 behind him and finally make a name for himself for something other than that infamous "prowler'' tackle on Souths golden boy Craig Wing.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...tion-with-titans/story-e6frexnr-1225800102147

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Didn't think it would be long.

Yeah, on the button NT
Once again, the Storm do not 'cannonball', they come in softly, softly, wrap them up like babies & lie them down...some people should try watching a few of the so-called Storm 'cannonballs' - post some examples even...

ballbag

Juniors
Yeah, on the button NT
Once again, the Storm do not 'cannonball', they come in softly, softly, wrap them up like babies & lie them down...some people should try watching a few of the so-called Storm 'cannonballs' - post some examples even...
Dance is the phrase

Ozzy

First Grade
I looked at your hidden post because of my misguided naivety that you'd have a decent post in this thread.

It's safe to say I've forgotten more about history, especially WW2, than you'll learn in your entire life.

I've read close to 100 books solely on WW2. Along with autobiographies, reading about WW2 is one of my passions. Don't think for a second you know more than me on the subject.
BM what are you trying to prove? I have read over 100 books about the topic. Do you know how many AG has read? For all you know he may have a masters in history.

Anyway on topic, Sandow is very lucky not to go on report.

Latest posts