What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Cannonball" Luke

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Like Tom Symonds missing an entire season?

Becaue Symonds isn't a star, nothing is made of it.

Unfortunately this is the case. Even when sandog did it to hoffman Johns said in commentary something like 'we don't want this happening to the thurston's of the game'

There is a safe way to wrap up the ball too which doesn't involve shoulder charging. More players are injured and suspended every year than have been hurt by these "cannonball" tackles.

Should we ban those as well?

Seriously since when did worrying about not hurting your opponent become important?

The issue Danish is that in a shoulder charge the attacker can brace for it, try and avoid it etc. a player who is held up is totally defenseless and gets blindsided by some f**ker who's only intention is a dog shot designed to injure

Take Luke for example, I seriously doubt he's geniused. I don't believe he's stupid enough to do something so blatant, in the space of 2 games. Luke's tackled like that for years, what's happened is there's been 2 freak incidents where it's "gone wrong".

In a lot of ways it's out of the players hands what the result of going in low as the 3rd man will be. So it either needs to be stamped out or allowed. I don't think realistically you'll find a middle ground that's fair.

no i'd go for geniused. the little merkin thinks he's a big man and goes out of his way to do cheap shots and lie down like a dog when he gets tapped. both times he sprinted in at force to try and smash someone who was held up and not going anywhere. look at the difference with the storm players, they wrap up the players legs and bring him to ground slowly so the last guy getting up (the one round the legs) is also the last one to release. they don't come sprinting in at the knees

it's a f**king dogshot and it doenst surprise me kiwi/soufs fans are trying to legitimise it.

AuDragon

Juniors
And what is a shoulder charge trying to do exactly if not trying to deliberately hurt the ball runner?

Frankly if any player pulling on a roosters jersey isn't trying to hit hard enough in defence to hurt their opponent I don't want them on the field.
It seems you may be missing the subtle difference between trying to hurt a running ball carrier with a well placed shoulder charge, which carries a relatively low risk of a serious injury to both players, and trying to tackle an immobilised player with a shoulder charge to the legs that carries a high risk of injury to the tackled player.

That by the way, is the definition of a grubby player.

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
Its not just charging at the back of the knees. Lima at Wigan got pinged for what was proabbly even more dangerous, coming in at the side of the knee on a player who's basically held (i.e. no way for his leg to bend to take the impact). Its probably a hard one for refs to gauge at times, but one thing's for sure, the players generally know exactly what's gone on and what the intent is, and to me it looks awful.

AuDragon

Juniors
Its not just charging at the back of the knees. Lima at Wigan got pinged for what was proabbly even more dangerous, coming in at the side of the knee on a player who's basically held (i.e. no way for his leg to bend to take the impact). Its probably a hard one for refs to gauge at times, but one thing's for sure, the players generally know exactly what's gone on and what the intent is, and to me it looks awful.
That's exactly what Issac "grub of the highest order" Luke did to Thaiday in Newcastle!

TheDMC

Bench
All you have to do is make it against the rules for a player to target the knees of a attacking player from behind. That is where the damage is being done.

It will become like a shoulder charge or a lifting/dropping tackle, you can do it but if it goes wrong and becomes dangerous then you deal with the suspension.

Melbourne Storm have shown this year that you can use this technique at a slower pace and there is no harm to the attacking player.

I beg to differ. If two blokes are holding me up and the third dude missiles in at my knees, I'd much rather it was at the back of the knees rather than side or front. Knees naturally bend forward....

NrlCoach

Juniors
If two people are holding up the ball carrier a third man is not allowed in to tackle the legs.. this should stop the cannonball tackles and the wrestling crap

Fordy20

Juniors
Totally in control of the refs. If the player isn't making forward momentum, call held and these types of tackles simply don't happen.

_snafu_

Immortal
hor4.jpg

61b2PTECGWL._SL500_.jpg

I bet he has watched documentaries as well...

HogansHeroes350.jpg

hitman82

Bench
I beg to differ. If two blokes are holding me up and the third dude missiles in at my knees, I'd much rather it was at the back of the knees rather than side or front. Knees naturally bend forward....

Agreed... not sure why the drama regarding being hit from behind in the legs. Simple physiology dictates this is far less dangerous than being hit from the front, or even worse, from the side.

I do think Luke is a bit of a grub though.

TheDMC

Bench
Agreed... not sure why the drama regarding being hit from behind in the legs. Simple physiology dictates this is far less dangerous than being hit from the front, or even worse, from the side.

I do think Luke is a bit of a grub though.

He clearly has small man's disease...

Walt Flanigan

Referee
The Storm are just angry that they didn't come up with that move first.

But seriously, what Luke did was just plain wrong. That's not playing the game hard or tough, it's f*cked up.

Hope he gets more than a few weeks.

Raider_69

Post Whore
He's tried to end a season twice now

sitting on the pine for a season should give him plenty of time to consider his style

He's a complete scum bag, not even a grubby player, he's beyond that, he's just a weak pissant of a person, a guy who goes out there maliciously, with intent to cause serious injury. Absolute scum.

Didgi

:lol: I love the attitude that because you support a certain team you can't claim that a player's actions, completely removed from your own team, are dirty. It's the same with a whole heap of other things on here.

Evenflow

Bench
How a Storm fan can call an opposition player grubby is hilarious. They have created all the wrestling tackles that most fans find appalling.

LOL if you actually saw what this knob has written in the Storm sub forum over a period of time you wouldn't have looked so silly by making that comment and known he's the furthest thing from a Storm supporter you could get. That includes the likes of loudtwat and the other usual halfwits Storm haters around here :lol:

Latest posts