What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canterbury Bulldogs star Ben Roberts charged

Penance

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23154672-5001021,00.html

Canterbury Bulldogs star Ben Roberts charged in Wollongong

'King hit' star's assault charge
POLICE used capsicum spray on NRL star Ben Roberts before charging him in Wollongong, after he was injured in a brawl with a group of unknown men.

CAPSICUM spray was used by police to subdue Bulldogs star Ben Roberts who was charged with resisting arrest and assault after a wild night out in Wollongong.

The club's chief executive Malcolm Noad last night confirmed the club was conducting an internal investigation and talking to police after being made aware of the the halfback's arrest yesterday morning.
"We're extremely concerned and disappointed that Ben's been charged," Noad said.
"But there were other circumstances which preceded his arrest and we understand police are investigating what happened prior to his arrest.
"We're told Ben had been set upon by an unknown group of males.
"He was king hit and kicked on the ground until he was unconscious."

The Daily Telegraph
understands Roberts, 22, was taken to Wollongong Hospital by friends for treatment before returning to the Glasshouse Nightclub.
The incident that led to his charges occurred when he was being questioned by police about the brawl earlier in the night.
According to NSW Police spokeswoman, Roberts was "allegedly intoxicated and refusing to leave the area" about 2.40am.

The spokeswoman said he was involved in an altercation with police and capsicum spray was used to subdue him.
Roberts has been excused from training today while he seeks further medical treatment.
"He has had a number of tests today including a brain scan and he's not all that well at the moment," Noad said.
He was taken to Wollongong Police station and charged with resist arrest, common assault, refuse to comply with police direction and offensive behaviour.
Roberts, of Narellan Vale, was bailed to appear in Wollongong Local Court later this month.

legend

Coach
I'd like to hear his side of the story but the part where he sought medical treatment and then returned to the nightclub shows he's an idiot IMO.

I'm sure the Dogs will take a firm hand and place him the Premier League squad for a week.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
The thread needs to be re-named.

what I get from the investigation - He wasnt charged for king hit - he had been king hit earlier in the night - police wanted to investigate and clearly roberts didnt want it go any further.

I dont blame him - alot more players get assaulted than papers find out about but most choose not to prosecute or go any further because no matter what they become a culprit and get branded.

Also occuring in Wollongong - we all know that there is most likely a racist element.

Even ask some of the kiwi's who play for or play against the dragons are wary of going out in wollongong.

legend said:
I'd like to hear his side of the story but the part where he sought medical treatment and then returned to the nightclub shows he's an idiot IMO.

I'm sure the Dogs will take a firm hand and place him the Premier League squad for a week.
I hope the Premier League squad play their games in jail because otherwise he might not be available.

Seriously though, what the f**k goes on in the heads of some of these blokes. They are unfairly singled out because they play RL sure, but that's the reality these days and they should know by now.

Quidgybo

Bench
legend said:
That's where the problem starts, doesn't it? He could be Mother Teresa and have done absolutely nothing wrong, but what sort of moron gets "king hit and kicked on the ground until he was unconscious", goes and gets medical attention and then returns to the same club and continues drinking?!? Cut your losses, lick your wounds and more importantly, as a high profile RL professional, minimize your risk of compounding a bad night out and go home you fool!

Leigh.

nqboy

First Grade
Penance said:
According to NSW Police spokeswoman, Roberts was "allegedly intoxicated and refusing to leave the area" about 2.40am.
Roberts has been excused from training today while he seeks further medical treatment.
"He has had a number of tests today including a brain scan and he's not all that well at the moment," Noad said.
Betcha it comes back negative.

innsaneink

Referee
I guess he will be looking at a 10k fine no matter what, just for being a victim, as fao'aologogate has set the precedent.

Sorry but didnt Timmah bag me for claiming that bulldogs players were by far the most likely too break a law and end up in the headlines?

Bunch of crim's if this doesnt deserve a massive fine for bring the game into disrepute then what does!

mightypanther

Juniors
Quidgybo said:
That's where the problem starts, doesn't it? He could be Mother Teresa and have done absolutely nothing wrong, but what sort of moron gets "king hit and kicked on the ground until he was unconscious", goes and gets medical attention and then returns to the same club and continues drinking?!? Cut your losses, lick your wounds and, importantly as a high profile RL professional, minimize your risk of compounding a bad night out and go home you fool!

Leigh.

My sentiments exactly.

He was a complete dickhead for going back there.

If he had been kicked unconscious the moron should have gone home to bed, not back to the club to drink some more.

He has no-one to blame for the end result but himself.

Dogaholic

First Grade
Baron Vo Mandor said:
Sorry but didnt Timmah bag me for claiming that bulldogs players were by far the most likely too break a law and end up in the headlines?

Bunch of crim's if this doesnt deserve a massive fine for bring the game into disrepute then what does!

Eels are clearly the most likely this year lol

1. Benji Marshall (tigers) - Slapped at a pub

2. Mark Ridell (eels) - Glassed at a pub

3. Tim Smith (eels) - Drunk and Dissorderly x2

4. David Faiumu (cowboys) - Charged with Assault

5. Johnathan Thurston (cowboys) - Charged with Public Drunkiness

6. Ben Roberts (Bulldogs) - resisting arrest and assault

macavity

Referee
mean_maori_mean said:
I dont blame him - alot more players get assaulted than papers find out about but most choose not to prosecute or go any further because no matter what they become a culprit and get branded.

very true. One of the Knights got glassed a few weeks ago (event did not happen in Newcastle).

Bigfella

Coach
To be fair, if reports are true that he was king hit then kicked unconscious ... you could forgive his judgment being a little hazy?

Nothing he did was remotely as serious as what was done to him.

Of course the lead up to that event itself may not be cut and dried ...

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
As I said yesterday with the Fa'alogo incident, if he was attacked first then he has every right to defend himself. But the fact that he went back after being taken to hospital makes him a goose.

It will be interesting to see if we get 25 pages of unmitigated outrage with this thread like we got with Fa'alogo yesterday...

Abz

Juniors
I guess Roberts will be on his last chance after this. Seeing that the club has a no alcohol policy during the season, that may help a little when kickoff resumes next month.

Dogaholic

First Grade
S.S.T.I.D said:
As I said yesterday with the Fa'alogo incident, if he was attacked first then he has every right to defend himself. But the fact that he went back after being taken to hospital makes him a goose.

It will be interesting if we see 25 pages of unmitigated outrage with this thread like we got with Fa'alogo yesterday...

One thing is for sure. There will be more than one article written about it by the telecrap unlike the fa'alogo incident.

legend

Coach
Pfft! The Dogs have shown time and again it's the inmates who run the asylum. Roberts will get to name his punishment and have someone else serve it for him.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If he's guilty of any crime, throw the book at him. He's a repeat offender and should be shown the door. Having said that, it appears he was king hit... what a misleading headline.

And for the record, we aren't "Canterbury", we haven't been for NINE years.

Latest posts