What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Captain Next Year

Valheru

Coach
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/warrior-maloney-leads-candidates-for-roosters-captaincy/story-e6frexnr-1226447053386

According the above the candidates are Mini, Pearce, Aubo and Maloney with Cordner being touted as a future captain.

Aubo’s stock has dropped in recent months so I think he is a long shot and I think the last thing Pearce needs is the added pressure of captaining. Mini would be an obvious option in his last hurrah with the negative being a new captain in 2014.

IMO Maloney wouldn’t be that bad an option. He leads from the front on the field and maybe a fresh approach from someone outside the club would be good. The telegraph tries to sell the reasoning as “keeping SBW under control”, I think that is a bit over the top but SBW clearly has a rapport and respects Maloney so that is a bit of a bonus.

I think Mini should be captain with either Maloney or Cordner to take over 2014. Whilst he is a great general, Maloney doesn't yet have the respect of the rest of the team and I would prefer that he spend next year getting comfortable with the place. How long have we contracted him for by the way?

H.H

Juniors
Cordner for mine.

He is a leader already and is mature beyond his years. Has that x factor I reckon.

Perhaps make Mini the club captain who handles all the media stuff etc, while Cordner is the on-filed captian....give him a year to work into the role, before taking it on full in 2014.

I think the captaincy is overrated tbh.

One thing I've noticed is it's the young ones who are the most vocal on the field and in the warm up. Cordner, JWH, Guerra and Aubusson. It looks like from the stands that a natural leadership group has formed and I wouldn't be surprised at all if SBW is the one the players look to as the figurehead particularly all the young Kiwi's in the squad. He would definitely be the lead through inspiration player.

Mini will probably get the official captaincy. The old wise head for advice.

I'd prefer to have strong leadership through the coach than a player though.

I would say Boyd but he sometimes starts from the bench. You generally want your captain to start every game. With SBW likely to be in the back row next year, it means we will be rotating multiple back rowers and i can't see Boyd being a regular starter week in, week out. Not really sure if it matters though. Giving it to Pearce might be just what he needs to take his game to the next level so I'd take a punt on him.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Solve that problem by giving Boyd the number 13 jersey all year. IMO he's been our best this year and should start every week.

Valheru

Coach
Obviously we all have big wraps on Boyd but I am not sure he should be captain this early. In another few years sure but he is still 19 (I think) and needs to concentrate on being a top quality 1st grader and cracking rep footy before he worries about the captaincy.

Mini in his swan song would make sense although I have no problem with Pearce or Maloney if they want a longer term solution.

OFFSET ALPINE

Juniors
Sorry you are all clueless

Cordner is a teenager...not even a full 1st grader yet & let four ruck tries in v Storm...improved late year.
Best player?? wtf - heard of JWH ?

If you want a bloke who plays on the wing or at Henson Park then vote for the Count - who thinks he is a first receiver - and may be retired by April.

Quote WARREN RYAN v Manly SFS:
"Mini...big on energy but low on skill...can't pass,can't kick and can't diffuse a grubber...just runs around in circles..."

If you want to win you need a fullback...Roger...who saved 3 certain tries on Brett Morris...not a turnstile.
Des O'Reilly got it right!

Pearce - you are joking - hasn't matured in 5 years - $450k pa going backwards.

Aubo busted with low work rate a & d all year...but i'd STILL wear him as skipper -
as long as he is guaranteed Leilua's centre spot all year...Aubo runs great lines.

Maloney is your Captain.

Monk

Referee
A player who hasn't played a single game for our club and is coming off being benched by the Warriors?

Jack_Napier

Staff member
I found the aubo to starting centre the best bit. Been such a shining light there for us this year as well. All because he runs good lines.

Big Sam

First Grade
Am not here to troll but to make a serious comment. Cordner is a superb idea. He's just what your club needs to make a break with the past and change the current culture. Young, vocal, a natural leader, and from what I've heard, well-spoken. It's exactly why I advocated Burgess as our captain last year.

adamkungl

Immortal
Cordner will be a Roosters captain one day, without doubt. Not sure if that time is now, though I'm sure he wouldn't let anyone down.