What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carroll wants to play for NZ again

Jesbass

First Grade
doogiehowser_md said:
Im dead serious that we should pick TC. We got hammered by GB, AUS and nearly France with guys like Simon Mannering, Jeremy Smith, Greg Eastwood & Frank Pritchard in the backrow. Do you think in all honesty any of these guys would make the QLD origin team if they were QLDers?

TC is always a certain selection in the QLD team and guess what? QLD win and win quite regularly. With a backrow of TC, SBW and Kidwell you would have probably 3 out of 5 of the hardest hitters in the NRL the Aussie pack would be dropping their nuts big time.

Some of you say TC is too old but would pick Ruben Wiki in your team if he wasnt retired. Give me TC over Mannering, Pritchard, Eastwood, Smith and Fa'alogo any day!

You're talking him up as a player, and he certainly is top quality. But you're using his 'certain selection in the QLD team' as an argument. There's a slight problem with this, because look where the place is...

map_aust.jpg

I certainly hope you haven't had a few too many of the wines mentioned in that box to the top right... :sarcasm:

Scorpio30

Bench
Bahahaha...I think someone at TVNZ accidently put this up today....Im sure it was made to broadcast on April 1st.....Surely?!

Did TC play for Australia before NZ?

Carroll has always been Lockyers minder in all the teams hes played in. Hell lets pick lockyer as well and he can mind him in the kiwis. im sure we could dig up a grandmother or great grandmother somewhere

Jesbass

First Grade
Scorpio30 said:
Bahahaha...I think someone at TVNZ accidently put this up today....Im sure it was made to broadcast on April 1st.....Surely?!

Did TC play for Australia before NZ?

No, but he played for Queensland in the years leading up to and including the year he represented New Zealand at the World Cup. This was after rejecting the Kiwis to play for them in the 2000 ANZAC test, and before he rejected them a few times after the World Cup. As far as I know, no current State Of Origin player has ever turned out in the black and white, except for Carroll, who got his special dispensation in 2000 after missing out on Kangaroo selection, and Steve Price, when he acted as the modern day Dally Messenger in the All Golds match.

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
Jesbass said:
No, but he played for Queensland in the years leading up to and including the year he represented New Zealand at the World Cup. This was after rejecting the Kiwis to play for them in the 2000 ANZAC test, and before he rejected them a few times after the World Cup. As far as I know, no current State Of Origin player has ever turned out in the black and white, except for Carroll, who got his special dispensation in 2000 after missing out on Kangaroo selection, and Steve Price, when he acted as the modern day Dally Messenger in the All Golds match.

Craig Smith did aswell but that was Super League Days

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
**** off Turncoat

Nearly vomited when he said "I have always felt like a Kiwi" or something along those lines, utter bullsh*t

He should state the facts, he is retiring and wants to use our jersey again

Piss off

Skinner

Coach
Once a cat, always a cat. He is the most detestable person I can think of in Rugby League.

Iafeta

Referee
Hell no. You're not a Kiwi, you're a redneck Benedict Arnold.

You can stay over there with Tuiaki (I play where my mate plays) and Fuifui (whose paying the most, and do the Aussies want me bro?)

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Robster said:
Perhaps Steven Price should play for us.

Now there's an idea with some merit.

Well, not much, but i'd rather Steve Price than Tonie Carroll.

Jesbass

First Grade
Dr Crane said:
Now there's an idea with some merit.

Well, not much, but i'd rather Steve Price than Tonie Carroll.

Plus Price alrady knows the haka...lol. :sarcasm:

Lossy

Juniors
Iafeta said:
... and Fuifui (whose paying the most, and do the Aussies want me bro?)

Who's paying the most is fair enough. His youngest is autistic and care takes plenty of dosh, as well as it being pretty hard on his family.

Iafeta

Referee
Errrr... that's what club football is for. It's your career. It's not representative. So if Daniel Carter was being offered a bundle by ... I don't know, Scotland, you'd be ok with that? Shane Warne being offered a truck load by South Africa? Of course not, that's just silly.

I'd rather solicit Jack the Ripper than have Carroll play for New Zealand again.

dazza

Staff member
Jesbass said:

he DIDN`T get special dispensation!!!!!!!!!!!!

as i`ve said before on this subject, he signed with leeds, therefore, giving up his chance to play for aussie. they don`t pick guys playing in the uk. darren smith the exception a couple of years ago, due to injuries.

that is the only reason he wanted to play for the kiwis. the lure of playing in the world cup. guess what, he`s up to his old tricks again.

always felt like a kiwi aye? why the hell did you turn your back on them when you went back to the nrl then??

f**k off tonie.

cheers dazza

LeagueNut

First Grade
Surely the NZRL couldn't be THAT stupid to allow Tonie Carroll back into a Kiwi jersey. :shock: :shock:

Actually they'd probably make him captain. #-o

f**k I hope this doesn't happen - it's almost enough to make me want to cheer for Australia.

Jesbass

First Grade
dazza said:
he DIDN`T get special dispensation!!!!!!!!!!!!

as i`ve said before on this subject, he signed with leeds, therefore, giving up his chance to play for aussie. they don`t pick guys playing in the uk. darren smith the exception a couple of years ago, due to injuries.

that is the only reason he wanted to play for the kiwis. the lure of playing in the world cup. guess what, he`s up to his old tricks again.

always felt like a kiwi aye? why the hell did you turn your back on them when you went back to the nrl then??

f**k off tonie.

cheers dazza

I was just quoting a media article from last night, dazza. ;-)

Either way, he accepted our offer after being overlooked by Australia, (presumably for the reson you've stated), and also after having previously rejected playing for us in the past.

Lossy

Juniors
Iafeta said:
Errrr... that's what club football is for. It's your career. It's not representative. So if Daniel Carter was being offered a bundle by ... I don't know, Scotland, you'd be ok with that? Shane Warne being offered a truck load by South Africa? Of course not, that's just silly.

I'd rather solicit Jack the Ripper than have Carroll play for New Zealand again.

No, that's what any form of football where you get paid is for: rep', club, or whatever. Money isn't the only thing in life, and certainly not the best, but different people have different motivations. Some valid, some not. We can pick them apart as much as we want, but they are theirs to make bacuase we don't have to live it. My comment was about Fui Fui's.

As far as selection goes, if they're eligible they can be picked, and if they're good enough they should be picked. But plenty of players with better claims have been overlooked throughout history, so if they aren't picked, fine. If they are, also fine.

Ideally, professional organisations should use their resources, not ignore them.

Iafeta

Referee
With convinction and concrete set rules and philosophies like that, you'd be a perfect fit for the RLIF board.