What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carroll wants to play for NZ again

roughyedspud

Coach
i vent utter disdain for a player to swap countries 3 times...fa'asavalu has only ever played for GB....

had fa'asavalu played RL for samoa i'd be giving him as much sh*t as carroll,moimoi,tuiaki

Archangel2

Juniors
Ahhh Spud notice you still didn't want to answer the first bit about your class game, we'll see who's going up...the only reason that your clubs do so well is the amount of southern hemisphere players you use at your clubs...so dont worry numbnuts I'll remind you, after we've got the trophy down here in the South. As for the rest of your comments, I'll be sure to print them off and use them to wipe my arse...

roughyedspud

Coach
Archangel2 said:
Ahhh Spud notice you still didn't want to answer the first bit about your class game, we'll see who's going up...the only reason that your clubs do so well is the amount of southern hemisphere players you use at your clubs...so dont worry numbnuts I'll remind you, after we've got the trophy down here in the South. As for the rest of your comments, I'll be sure to print them off and use them to wipe my arse...

sorry i was to busy putting you down on your other points...

but i'll have a crack at your first bit if you want..

Rougheyedspud, alright nah mate the pigsh*t obviously didn't emigrate it stayed in the UK...so b4 you wet yourself heres a few facts brother, at the moment Kiwi League is on a bit of a rut, granted...but one we will eventually get out of. You on the other hand over there in Pommie land only have a comp because its been propped up for years by players from this end of the world, and considering the money considering the talent, has still when they have sent a National Team out on tour have performed poorly.
And before you go off on another little rant, about our team being disqualified or whatever, remember how many times your clubs have changed rules and not allowed kiwis playing over there to play for there country boyo! We can go into the history of that anytime you want, even name them...so maybe then the national teams of England should be disqualified as well you prat!

firstly, hows the batercard cup doing?...oh thats right you don't even have a domestic league in new zealand so shut the f**k up

secondly , our best teams , namely leeds and st'helens only have a hand full of overseas players between them...and the rest of the league has seen a nigh on 30% increase on home grown talent coming through the ranks...a good sign me thinks.i'm more than happy for the likes of matt king,shaun barrigan & trent barrett to be play in super league, look at warrington they shipped out 5 or 6 mediocre aussies & kiwis and brought in 3 or 4 really quality imports and promoted some young english talent to the squad...again a good sign......where as your kid are being poached by australia..

thirdly..my national team has toured overseas ONCE nine years...on the last tour we beat australia in sydney... did you?

fourthly... our clubs have never "changed the rules or not allowed kiwis to leave" if they need surgery they need surgery....i'll admit it does'nt look good,but NRL clubs are just as bad for doing what you are blaming us for.....but then again kiwis seem to have a history of getting injured don't they?

like i said sunshine, roll on the world cup

badav

Bench
as much as i am a huge fan of tonie carroll, international footy should be pick one country and stick with it. carroll shouldnt have played for australia. i dont know how it was allowed to happen.

AuckMel

Bench
roughyedspud said:
i vent utter disdain for a player to swap countries 3 times...fa'asavalu has only ever played for GB....

had fa'asavalu played RL for samoa i'd be giving him as much sh*t as carroll,moimoi,tuiaki

LoL

They still qualify under the very same rules your bloke does.

The problem, as always, is the rules. You can hardly blame the players for exploiting them.

Really, they're no worse than the clubs and the fools who attempt to enforce the laws of our game.

JB

Juniors
Sounds to me like Mr Potato head is getting a wee bit worried that 2nd place his team currently enjoys may be under threat.

He should be!!!

Iafeta

Referee
nadera78 said:
I'm English, so it doesn't directly affect me, but it does in thesense that once again tgg is being rdiculed because of the morons running it, and the players abusing it.

For me, this situation goes to the heart of the Kiwis' problems; too many players turning out for them because they can, not because they want to. There's a big difference. Guys doing it because they can are there for the money, the prestige, and the oportunities. Guys doing it because they want to are doing it because they care passionately about their country and take pride in representing their people, their family, their nation on the world stage.

Rugby League more than any other sport needs a tem made up of guys who desperately wnt to be there. Half-hearted efforts result in defeat.

First off mate, just went to your homeland for the first time, I must say, WOW. The history is mind blowing alone.

Secondly, I like your comment "Too many players turning out for them because they can, not because they want to." I think that sums up my feelings. If Tonie Carroll wanted to be a New Zealander as in represent New Zealand he would have done so on a full time basis, he chose not to when he was 'good enough' to play for Australia. Your views are very much in line with my own, it's hard to believe that the line between treating international league like a club style trade off and genuine pride and glory is so blurred these days.

Iafeta

Referee
roughyedspud said:
sorry i was to busy putting you down on your other points...

but i'll have a crack at your first bit if you want..

firstly, hows the batercard cup doing?...oh thats right you don't even have a domestic league in new zealand so shut the f**k up

secondly , our best teams , namely leeds and st'helens only have a hand full of overseas players between them...and the rest of the league has seen a nigh on 30% increase on home grown talent coming through the ranks...a good sign me thinks.i'm more than happy for the likes of matt king,shaun barrigan & trent barrett to be play in super league, look at warrington they shipped out 5 or 6 mediocre aussies & kiwis and brought in 3 or 4 really quality imports and promoted some young english talent to the squad...again a good sign......where as your kid are being poached by australia..

thirdly..my national team has toured overseas ONCE nine years...on the last tour we beat australia in sydney... did you?

fourthly... our clubs have never "changed the rules or not allowed kiwis to leave" if they need surgery they need surgery....i'll admit it does'nt look good,but NRL clubs are just as bad for doing what you are blaming us for.....but then again kiwis seem to have a history of getting injured don't they?

like i said sunshine, roll on the world cup

No. We got beaten in golden point. Previous time we beat them in Sydney. The drop off from then to the UK tour is the hurtful part for me right now.

roughyedspud

Coach
JB said:
Sounds to me like Mr Potato head is getting a wee bit worried that 2nd place his team currently enjoys may be under threat.

He should be!!!

trust me i'm far from worried about NZ threatening our 2nd place...i'm more worried that you're going to slip further down the ladder, tonga were'nt that far off england & NZ in the 2007 RLIF rankings and i reckon NZ win other france defo saved you from slipping to 4th behind tonga

Leeds a handful ?

Donald, Toopi, Webb, Lauiti'iti, Leuluai off the top of my head

i'm pretty sure thats it? ..which means theres 20+ englishman in the leeds squad, obviously some ESL clubs have far to many imports and that problem has been adressed and new rules have been put in place..

Eeee Tatties lad, I'm cut ta quick.

english please? ;-)

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Fair enough, i am not far enough up with Leeds squad to know if there are any more.

Just 5/17 still seems a lot.

Glad to see they are setting about reducing the numbers, will help more young talent get a run for your mob

roughyedspud

Coach
is 5/17 alot though? even though it's 5/20 because we have 25 man squads

i bet some australian clubs have a similar or worse ratio..

but because NZ don't have a league & only 1 pro club their players have to play somewhere..

Skinner

Coach
Looks like the prick has got the hint.

SMH : http://news.leaguehq.com.au/carroll-wont-be-making-kiwi-comeback/20080214-1s93.html

Broncos enforcer Tonie Carroll's international rugby league comeback appears to be over before it could really begin.

New Zealand media reports claimed Carroll had put his hand up for the Kiwis' World Cup campaign this year.

"I've always said I'm a Kiwi. I love being a Kiwi," he told NZTV's One Sport.

"The Kiwi blood is tough and that's what rugby league is about, it's toughness."

One Sport took that as Carroll volunteering his services for New Zealand.

But Carroll later told a News Limited website that he would not be coming out of international retirement.

Carroll - 32 on Sunday - told The Courier-Mail website that he had told the NZTV interviewer he would "love" to play for New Zealand but was "too old".

Christchurch-born Carroll last month said he had retired from representative football and would end his NRL career at the end of the 2008 season.

He played the last of his seven Tests for Australia in 2005.

He had also played five Tests for New Zealand from 2001-03 and contested the 2000 World Cup for the Kiwis.

He also played 18 Origin games for Queensland from 1998.

After the New Zealand media reports broke, ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said technically there wouldn't be a problem with Carroll switching his international allegiances, yet again.

Broncos boss Bruno Cullen also claimed the NRL club wouldn't stand in his way even if he wanted to play in May's Centenary Test against Australia.

But it all appears academic after Carroll clarified his comments.

© 2008 AAP

Jesbass

First Grade
Isn't this hilarious? TVNZ takes Carroll out of context, runs an entire article on it, and we all take the bait...lol.

shiznit

Coach
Jesbass said:
Isn't this hilarious? TVNZ takes Carroll out of context, runs an entire article on it, and we all take the bait...lol.
how has TVNZ taken it out of context??

he says he would 'love to' play for the kiwis again but hes 'too old'... its hardly a denial.

Skinner

Coach
Well.......I've just watched the clip, and at no stage did the prick indicate any desire
at all to play for the Kiwis again.

TVNZ took some of his quotes and simply built a story around it. A story that was patently
untrue, and they have been found out.

BTW is wasn't Stanaway but Evan Charlton.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Jesbass said:

How were we to know

This is possibly the best (worst?) TVNZ effort yet

ozbash

Referee
Broncos forward Tonie Carroll's international rugby league comeback appears to be over before it could really begin.

A New Zealand media report claimed Carroll had put his hand up for the Kiwis' World Cup campaign this year.

"I've always said I'm a Kiwi. I love being a Kiwi," he told TVNZ this week.

"The Kiwi blood is tough and that's what rugby league is about, it's toughness."

However, Carroll has told a News Limited website that he would not be coming out of international retirement.

Christchurch-born Carroll had said he would "love" to play for New Zealand but was "too old".

Last month said he had retired from representative football and would end his National Rugby League career at the end of the 2008 season.

He played the last of his seven tests for Australia in 2005.

He had also played five tests for New Zealand from 2001-03 and contested the 2000 World Cup for the Kiwis.

Australian Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr said technically there wouldn't be a problem with Carroll again switching his international allegiances.

stuff