What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that The Mole in RLW also had a mention of Tinkler wanting to take over the CC area by pumping money into jnr clubs and bringing them under the Knights umbrella. One thing seems certain, if the Bears don't get in this time the region could be lost to them forever.

Again, another beat up story. Tinkler has to worry about the backyard which he just purchased before worrying about areas which aren't a part of Newcastle. Especially areas which have opened up to the idea of their own team. The Knights/Centurions deal expires at the end of this current season and Tinkler has been very straight forward in wanting a reserve grade team for the Knights based in Newcastle/Hunter.

The CCDRL, NSDRL and CRL are pushing for a stand alone Central Coast side. The Bears being their NRL goal and the Cubs/Grizzlies being their NSWCup goal. The "Cubs" name won a "name your team" radio contest a few seasons ago, easily but then the Centurions were brought in to cover for Newcastles lack of reserve side. Nothing to worry about when the bid itself is looking great guns. I'd be more concerned with my backyard than worrying about another.

That's all well and good if Gallop is making the final decision (he might yet if the IC falls over). But the members representing the majority NSW clubs on the IC will be aware of Tinkler's intentions and the CC effect on the other NSW clubs.

TBH I was just throwing out a line, don't want to get in another debate.

The IC will have to use David Gallop's knowledge and will have to be briefed on the up to date status of such pending issues like expansion. If David Gallop is happy, the IC will be happy. The natural order of things considering he will be the chief exec. of the IC. Since the IC isn't formed yet, it's not very smart to try to assume what they will do. However one can read into Gallop's comments spanning the last 2 or so years on expansion. He has been enthusiastic and positive. Every month the CCBears grow in members, sponsors, resources. That all indicates constant growth and because of constant growth, the team is already viable.

magpie_man

Juniors
Brothers has 120 juniors?

Good stuff. I remember when we didn't have anything beyond under 12's!

I used to play for them a few years ago, we were struggling to field an open-age team; growing to 120 juniors is fantastic!

applesauce

Bench
Matty Johns says he supports the Bears bid but in the last few weeks 2 things have come "down the grapevine"

1. If a CC team comes in it will NOT be under the Bears moniker.
2. That there will not be a CC team this time around, with the first team in being Perth, and the second being a "Western Brisbane" team/"2nd Brisbane" team.

Matty Johns says he supports the Bears bid but in the last few weeks 2 things have come "down the grapevine"

1. If a CC team comes in it will NOT be under the Bears moniker.
2. That there will not be a CC team this time around, with the first team in being Perth, and the second being a "Western Brisbane" team/"2nd Brisbane" team.

1. A Central Coast team won't be under the Bears moniker? Considering who own the playing rights for Bluetongue, who have managed to get the corporate support, public support where the majority of members are Central Coast residents and the local businesses whom have jumped on and supported the bid. Not the mention the CCDRL & CRL seal of approval and backing. The sponsors, the fans, the support of Gallop has all been in conjuction with the fact that Central Coast + North Shore is appealling and can cover alot more ground than any singular area could from the aforementioned.

2. There is no Western Brisbane bid. There's an Ipswich bid and a Brisbane 2 bid which will be located at West End (Central Brisbane, slightly southside) and Redlands (Eastside) or Redcliffe (Northside) {on that note neither are Brisbane anyways}. So unless a specific West Brisbane bid starts, then where is this franchise going to come from? The sky?

In short, blah blah blah.

Last edited:

dgsfan

Juniors
Great news. Hopefully it's true. He's probably got better sources than most on here claim to have.

BDGS

Bench
Also, how happy would Newcastle fans be if they were suddenly losing games down the road? Somewhat brand new 33K stadium (or whatever official capacity is) to be used for less than its full allocation?

Again, another beat up story. Tinkler has to worry about the backyard which he just purchased before worrying about areas which aren't a part of Newcastle. Especially areas which have opened up to the idea of their own team. The Knights/Centurions deal expires at the end of this current season and Tinkler has been very straight forward in wanting a reserve grade team for the Knights based in Newcastle/Hunter.

The CCDRL, NSDRL and CRL are pushing for a stand alone Central Coast side. The Bears being their NRL goal and the Cubs/Grizzlies being their NSWCup goal. The "Cubs" name won a "name your team" radio contest a few seasons ago, easily but then the Centurions were brought in to cover for Newcastles lack of reserve side. Nothing to worry about when the bid itself is looking great guns. I'd be more concerned with my backyard than worrying about another.

Exactly right, Tinkler is focussed on making everything local again to the Newcastle-Hunter region, from players to members and fans.

Taking a game away from their would be a huge contradiction.

BDGS

Bench
what did he say? I can;t get it to play!

He said that word going around was if the Central Coast were to get a team get a team it would be its own identity and not the Bears. Word now after the tinkler take over is now that the two news teams will be a in Perth and a west Brisbane/Second Brisbane team.

Great news. Hopefully it's true. He's probably got better sources than most on here claim to have.

I get my sources in regards to the CCBears from the CCBears themselves. From the very top actually. A CC team will be the Bears.. unless a new bid wants to invest in a new stadium and HQ. But considering we have a stadium and the funds/guarantee for a HQ now.. I'll stick to my sources thanks very much.

BDGS

Bench
This is a very sad day for me as i sit typing this in my bears shirt.

A lot of personalities are now saying the Central Coast Bears won't get in, despite all of them wanting them in. Perhaps it's time to give up, because no matter how strong a bid is, it seems that the very stupid argument of "there is too many teams in NSW" will win out.

I won't stop supporting and pushing the Central Coast Bears bid, but i will be very upset if the rumours sounding Tinklers plans to muscle in on the Central Coast happen and it will prove him a hypocrite.

Perhaps it's time to give up on thinking the game is about what's best for the fans and not the bottom line, it is definitely shaping that way and give into Queensland every time they say they require a new team ... perhaps it's pay back for all those years where NSW teams raped Queensland for talent. I will be very upset to see the Central Coast lost to the game, Newcastle Knights won't succeed there they simply don't have the support, and watch Union, AFL and to a less extent soccer take over as the sport of choice in the North-Shore/Central Coast area.

Hopefully they are all wrong, but i just can't see it anymore.

Central Coast Bears and WA Reds for 2013!!!!

Quidgybo

Bench
Perhaps it's time to give up on thinking the game is about what's best for the fans...
And fans in places that don't have 7 existing teams within 70km of their door step don't deserve first or second dibs first? If it wins out, the "stupid" argument that the are too many teams in the 200km corridor between Newcastle and Wollongong will win out simply because it's the right argument. It was the right argument four years ago and it remains the right argument today. There *are* too many teams between Newcastle and Wollongong now (both in absolute terms and as a relative proportion of the comp). Other fans deserve a team of their own, or even a second or third team, before we chuck an eleventh one in that same corridor.

Leigh.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
And fans in places that don't have 7 existing teams within 70km of their door step don't deserve first or second dibs first? If it wins out, the "stupid" argument that the are too many teams in the 200km corridor between Newcastle and Wollongong will win out simply because it's the right argument. It was the right argument four years ago and it remains the right argument today. There *are* too many teams between Newcastle and Wollongong now (both in absolute terms and as a relative proportion of the comp). Other fans deserve a team of their own, or even a second or third team, before we chuck an eleventh one in that same corridor.

Leigh.

As long as there is push for a team into an area then that area obviously does not have enough teams to fill demand.

Keep changing the goal post to get that argument over the line. Fact remain, Central Coast are screaming for a team, there is no team located in or has any connection to the Central Coast area and population, the Central Coast NRL bid has more sponsors, fans and members then any other bid.

There is already a Brisbane team, the Brisbane2 bid will need to be helped out by the NRL to be ready for 2013 or even change the goal post again to 2014 to help out this bid. They have limited amount of sponsors, no real identity and haven't decided on a location to be based in, have no fans or members.

Seems to be there is too many teams in Brisbane to have another, when put like that.

Why do people come in here to try and rub news into the Bear's fans faces? dog act!

Agreed.

Quidgybo

Bench
Keep changing the goal post to get that argument over the line.
I haven't moved any goal posts. There are seven existing teams based within 70km of Bluetongue - that's a fact. And that fact is the core to the too many teams argument that the Central Coast bid needs to refute. Whether a poster calls that too many NSW teams, too many Sydney teams or (as I have consistently been calling it) too many teams in the corridor between Newscastle and Wollongong, it's symantics. The wording doesn't change the fact of the close proximity of a large number of existing teams and the problem that creates trying to justify an eleventh team in that corridor over a second team in Brisbane, just one team in Perth, or a second team in New Zealand.

Leigh

Why do people come in here to try and rub news into the Bear's fans faces? dog act!

Because people love negativity. They like to impose themselves on a core that has been working it's arse off. They prefer to destroy rather than rebuild. They prefer to use arguements that have little impact. They prefer to naysay on others whom have put in the hardyards.

People like dgfans are scum. People like him is the reason the game went backwards. People like him are the reason clubs struggle. Jump on a winner, no time for a loser. And in the end it's people like him who end up going home with their tail between their legs.

The central coast bears keep growing. The only bid to not go stagnant, the only bid to keep moving forward and persisting. The only bid that actually has generation of fans and with that comes loyalty. The only bid with everything finalized and after all is said and done, we still managed to get more funds in the NOW then what others are projecting to get in the tomorrow.

A few grapevine rumours don't meant squat. There have been rumours since expansion first became a topic and 99% of them have turned out to be bulldust. These same people pushing for another Brisbane team will also be the first to turn their backs on them if the possible team struggles at all. They aren't rugby league fans, simply their fans of the newest form of entertainment. And once it's finished the old "I don't care because their not my team anyways" will be thrown around in abundance.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Probably good to get facts straight before quoting km distances.

From Bluetongue Stadium:
Ausgrid Stadium - 85.4km
Brookvale Oval - 73.0km
SFS/SCG - 83.4km
ANZ Stadium - 72.7km
Parramatta Stadium - 68.0km
Centrebet Stadium Penrith - 107km
Leichhardt Oval - 76km
WIN Jubilee Kogarah - 89km
Toyota Stadium - 96km
Campbelltown - 106km
WIN Stadium W'gong - 120km

Turns out there's just one within 70km, but each to their own.

Given how congested the F3 can be at times, why should Central Coast NRL fans continue to have to travel to see other NRL teams?

Yes, there are teams within a few hundred kilometres of the Central Coast, but there are the fans, there's already the interest. The CC is a safe bet for a 2-team expansion of the NRL, with the "risk" bet being Perth.

Even then, I reckon Perth would be very successful as well.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't understand this belief that RU or AFL will take over the CC if there isn't an NRL team based there. Have the ARU or AFL suggested they are looking at Gosford for a S15 or AFL team? No, so why can the afl or union take over the area without a top flight team yet RL can't hold the area without a top flight team (but with 5 or 6 NRL games a a year being played there)?

There's many reasons to back the Bears in Gosford, the fear of RU or AFL taking over isn't one of them. Other than an existing NRL NSW team relocating to Gosford I see absolutely zero logic in anyone other than the Bears being the team in Gosford.

Status
Not open for further replies.