What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
To be honest, I haven't heard diddly squat about BNE2 or other bids for quite a few weeks now. Maybe the NRL season is drowning them out, not sure, but it's frustrating that NRL won't commit to some sort of decision.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The latest timeline I have been told is the commission will be formed early May, a call for expansion bids will be made late May (but no guarantee that anyone will be accepted), bids in by June and a final decision if there will be expansion and to where made August (TV rights depending)

Timmah

Staff member
I don't understand this belief that RU or AFL will take over the CC if there isn't an NRL team based there. Have the ARU or AFL suggested they are looking at Gosford for a S15 or AFL team? No, so why can the afl or union take over the area without a top flight team yet RL can't hold the area without a top flight team (but with 5 or 6 NRL games a a year being played there)?

There's many reasons to back the Bears in Gosford, the fear of RU or AFL taking over isn't one of them. Other than an existing NRL NSW team relocating to Gosford I see absolutely zero logic in anyone other than the Bears being the team in Gosford.

To be fair I haven't heard much from anyone about other sports taking over.

During the CCM grand final week there was the odd trash-talking journo saying CCM would take over, but let's face it - after 3 grand finals the region isn't totally won over. They are definitely a great part of the region and whatnot, but "soccer will kill RL" isn't true, and I can't see AFL or RU ever gaining enough of a foothold to overtake RL's popularity either.

Another thing - the Mariners, at certain periods have generated huge interest. During the 08 finals they were selling out the ground at Bluetongue. With the greater interest in RL than the A-League, it's a no-brainer

BDGS

Bench
I haven't moved any goal posts. There are seven existing teams based within 70km of Bluetongue - that's a fact. And that fact is the core to the too many teams argument that the Central Coast bid needs to refute. Whether a poster calls that too many NSW teams, too many Sydney teams or (as I have consistently been calling it) too many teams in the corridor between Newscastle and Wollongong, it's symantics. The wording doesn't change the fact of the close proximity of a large number of existing teams and the problem that creates trying to justify an eleventh team in that corridor over a second team in Brisbane, just one team in Perth, or a second team in New Zealand.

Leigh

Well if you have consistently being calling the large amount of land mass that makes a majority of the Australia's most populated state a corridor between the gong and the hunter then good for you and obviously in that case you have personally not moved the goal post, congratulations.

In any case, the fact remains there is a large section of area in NSW that are unrepresented by any current team and desperately want another team, These people aren't spread out they are in the one area. Why can't that area that isn't represented by an NRL team get its own team?

I don't understand this belief that RU or AFL will take over the CC if there isn't an NRL team based there. Have the ARU or AFL suggested they are looking at Gosford for a S15 or AFL team? No, so why can the afl or union take over the area without a top flight team yet RL can't hold the area without a top flight team (but with 5 or 6 NRL games a a year being played there)?

Mostly because the Swans have set up academy's there, and GWS will use this area to gain juniors from and this area already contains a large proportion of the current Swan fans.

Anybody that knows anything about sport in NSW knows that the North Shore is traditionally Rugger territory, without an NRL team there a large amount of people have no choice but to follow the next closest thing in the Waratahs. Super Rugby can gain so much more out of the North Shore-Central Coast area with the right plan and the NRL/NRL clubs doing nothing to stop it.

Atm these sports are not denting the area currently, however with the right plan and input (and cash like some other sports have) the potential is huge.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mostly because the Swans have set up academy's there, and GWS will use this area to gain juniors from and this area already contains a large proportion of the current Swan fans.

Anybody that knows anything about sport in NSW knows that the North Shore is traditionally Rugger territory, without an NRL team there a large amount of people have no choice but to follow the next closest thing in the Waratahs. Super Rugby can gain so much more out of the North Shore-Central Coast area with the right plan and the NRL/NRL clubs doing nothing to stop it.

Atm these sports are not denting the area currently, however with the right plan and input (and cash like some other sports have) the potential is huge.

so what's to stop the NRL setting up a RL academy there similiar to teh Western Sydney one? Also as s aid there are 7 RL teams within as close aproximity as the one RU team. If you are into RU you will foolow the tards, if you are into RL you will follow one of the existing NRL teams most likely. Gosford does not need a team to combat AFL or RU on the CC.

That's not to say I don;t think they should have a team, but it is nonsense to suggest every single population area in NSW and Q'land needs an NRL team to combat the minor influences of AFL and RU.

Beowulf

Juniors
There's many reasons to back the Bears in Gosford, the fear of RU or AFL taking over isn't one of them. Other than an existing NRL NSW team relocating to Gosford I see absolutely zero logic in anyone other than the Bears being the team in Gosford.

No existing team will be relocated to Gosford because that will not re-engage with northern Sydney.

No new team will come in because there isn't the corporate suport or population on the Coast for a stand alone team.

Its Central Coast Bears now or nothing, ever, for the Coast and just because Matthew Johns heard something mishievous, probably from Ray Hadley or Peter Peters, is no reason for anyone to think anything other than Central Coast Bears are good things.

A failed Tinkler bid would have seen the NRL reluctant to add the Bears due to the impact on Newcastle. With the CC having zero impact on Sydney Clubs their case gets stronger by the day as more and more members come on board.

For as long as the NRL remain extremely positive to the Bears bid team, they remain favourites. The Bears bid team are laughing this arvo, not crying!

Red Bear

Referee
As a long-term Bears fan I can assure you all I'm not laughing. Pessimism runs deep when you follow this club.

Nails will continue to be bitten well into the year until any decision is made

BDGS

Bench
so what's to stop the NRL setting up a RL academy there similiar to teh Western Sydney one? Also as s aid there are 7 RL teams within as close aproximity as the one RU team. If you are into RU you will foolow the tards, if you are into RL you will follow one of the existing NRL teams most likely. Gosford does not need a team to combat AFL or RU on the CC.

Money?

Foresight?

etc etc

Timmah

Staff member
The scuttling of the Ex-HMAS Adelaide today may well also have a positive effect on the Bears bid. More tourism and corporate dollars will be injected into the region as a result of the creation of the artificial reef/dive site there.

applesauce

Bench
The scuttling of the Ex-HMAS Adelaide today may well also have a positive effect on the Bears bid. More tourism and corporate dollars will be injected into the region as a result of the creation of the artificial reef/dive site there.

Exactly!

And when they finish the Airport link in Brisbane think of all the people would will get to the airport faster the fly down to games, great news for the Bears bid. Add to that the popularity of the Adelaide zoo's newest edition the Panda BEAR will only make more people fond of Bears of all kinds including the Bears bid.

Good times all round *high five*.

:crazy:

Quidgybo

Bench
Probably good to get facts straight before quoting km distances.
According to Google Earth I have got my facts straight, I checked it before I wrote it. There are 7 existing teams within 70km of the halfway line at Bluetongue.

Ausgrid Stadium - 67.05km (Newcastle)
Brookvale Oval - 37.25km (Manly)
SFS/SCG - 52.11km (Roosters and half of Wests including Leichhardt Oval - 51.66km)
ANZ Stadium - 52.92km (Canterbury and Souths)
Parramatta Stadium - 52.48km (Eels)
Centrebet Stadium Penrith - 70.53km (Panthers)
WIN Jubilee Kogarah - 63.26km (half of Dragons)
Toyota Stadium - 70.02km (Cronulla)

With half of Wests and Dragons games played within that radius, that's 7 full teams worth of home games to choose from. I could've included Panthers and Sharks to make it 9 but I didn't want to get into an argument over a couple hundred metres.

But however you do the calculation, none of these teams are very far away. Even if I said 100km and used your figures, it's hardly an onerous distance or a lack of choice. The distances pale in comparison to what fans in some other areas Australia and New Zealand would have to travel to see even one team, let alone have a choice of two or three (or seven).

As I have said repeatedly over the last four years I am not against a team being based on the Central Coast or the Bears being back in the comp. I am against an eleventh team being introduced in the corridor between Newcastle and Wollongong at the expense of a team in Perth, or a fourth or fifth Queensland side (or second Brisbane side, whatever), or a second or third New Zealand side.

Leigh.

BDGS

Bench
As I have said repeatedly over the last four years I am not against a team being based on the Central Coast or the Bears being back in the comp. I am against an eleventh team being introduced in the corridor between Newcastle and Wollongong at the expense of a team in Perth, or a fourth or fifth Queensland side (or second Brisbane side, whatever), or a second or third New Zealand side.

Leigh.

And most people in here aren't against another Brisbane side, just against another Brisbane side before the Central Coast gets 1.

t-ba

Post Whore
According to Google Earth I have got my facts straight, I checked it before I wrote it. There are 7 existing teams within 70km of the halfway line at Bluetongue.

Ausgrid Stadium - 67.05km (Newcastle)
Brookvale Oval - 37.25km (Manly)
SFS/SCG - 52.11km (Roosters and half of Wests including Leichhardt Oval - 51.66km)
ANZ Stadium - 52.92km (Canterbury and Souths)
Parramatta Stadium - 52.48km (Eels)
Centrebet Stadium Penrith - 70.53km (Panthers)
WIN Jubilee Kogarah - 63.26km (half of Dragons)
Toyota Stadium - 70.02km (Cronulla)
Leigh.

How about road distance?

Timmah

Staff member
Kind of my point. It's ridiculous to use figures quoting "radius distance" as nobody (unless you own a private helicopter) can ever travel in a straight line to the ground. Road distance is much further from all grounds, only Parramatta falling into the 70km distance previously claimed.

Goddo

Bench
Reason will win out. The IC won't be swayed by emotion. The will make the decision in the best interests of CURRENT NRL CLUBS and the game as a whole. It will use expansion to "plug gaps" in the game.

10 years from now, it might be Wellington, Sunshine Coast, Central Coast or Adelaide. But right now, its Perth and Brisbane...

Perth are a must - they have a stadium, huge population, TV rights value, lots of potential sponsors to advertise into the Eastern States, and a new broadcast timeslot. 4th largest city in Australia, but one of 2 AFL cities ( the other is Melbourne) that the NRL needs to go "National". No brainer.

South Brisbane/Ipswich/Logan is a must - huge and growing population, much of it a RL audience, yet we only have as many teams as AFL. It would provide another team with local content (which rates highly in Qld) for free and pay TV, and would be an avenue for corporate support and sponsors in Brissy that don't/can't follow the Broncos. 2 of the top 5 most attended sides are SE Queensland sides. South Brisbane/Ipswich/Logan is also a geographic area that is complimentary to the (Red Hill) Broncos and (Robina) Titans, with a lower-middle class demographic.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Juniors
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-bears-wish-list/story-e6frfgbo-1226038720798

KARMICHAEL Hunt will be back in rugby league by 2013 - and pitched as the new face of NRL expansion - if the Central Coast Bears are granted entry into the game.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal Bears officials are ready to make a huge play for the AFL poster boy who is currently struggling with his $3 million switch to the Gold Coast Suns.
It's understood members of the bid team - including coach-in-waiting Dave Fairleigh - have already approached Hunt's manager David Riolo armed with a $10 million war chest and promises to make the former Queensland and Kangaroo fullback the face of their franchise.
Asked last night about the move that would bring Hunt back to league, Fairleigh said: "Right at the moment it would be wrong, and unfair on the players we're looking at, to talk hypotheticals.
"But quite obviously we're moving forward, planning as if we're going to be playing in the NRL come 2013.
"And as a result, there are a number of marquee players we're considering both here in Australia and in Great Britain. So what I can say is that it's great to see a number of quality players not signing contracts beyond 2012 because they want to see what happens with expansion, see what the opportunities might be out there for them."

Hunt has struggled in his switch of codes and looked anything but a superstar signing as the Suns were whipped by 100 points at the weekend.
While it's widely known a number of NRL clubs will make a play for the former Brisbane Bronco, the Bears are convinced they'll be able to compete with, and beat, their established rivals.
He said the club would also be bringing dozens of local players back to the fold.
"This year alone we had 26 players leave the Coast to play SG Ball with clubs around the country," he said. "And in the NRL, Toyota Cup and NSW Premier League, there's another 60 players who call our region home.
"They're the players we want to help build this club around. Off the field, we're pushing 7000 financial members and we've got another 85 foundation members or small business partners.
"Mortgage House are on board. Our business plan is now being finalised. We'll definitely be ready to go within two years."
Asked about concerns that Nathan Tinkler's takeover at Newcastle will somehow hurt the Bears bid - especially if the mining magnate tries to make his presence felt 40 minutes down the F3 - Fairleigh stressed the exact opposite would happen.
"I think Tinkler running the Knights is great for the game and great for us," he said. "We're going to have the benchmark for NRL footy clubs right next door.
"We can't wait for the first local derby."

Beowulf

Juniors
South Brisbane/Ipswich/Logan is a must - huge and growing population, much of it a RL audience, yet we only have as many teams as AFL. It would provide another team with local content (which rates highly in Qld) for free and pay TV, and would be an avenue for corporate support and sponsors in Brissy that don't/can't follow the Broncos. 2 of the top 5 most attended sides are SE Queensland sides. South Brisbane/Ipswich/Logan is also a geographic area that is complimentary to the (Red Hill) Broncos and (Robina) Titans, with a lower-middle class demographic.

But which model?!!!! Which franchise bid? No-one in QLD seems able to settle on a model, so how on earth can an IC have confidence in choosing one? The IC won't take a risk on that decision if they take a risk on Perth and the long term investment required there. You're right, reason will prevail - Central Coast Bears.

Tigerm

First Grade
There are too many pages to read them all, I used to be from the Central Coast, involved in junior RL, does the bears really have the support of the coast? I don't think they will be competitive for a while & I think they will lose the interest of the locals very quickly. Stick to bringing games up to the coast, so the locals can cheer on there team. Note, it sounds like we are going back to 20 team comp again?

bluetongue_main_left.jpg

There are too many pages to read them all, I used to be from the Central Coast, involved in junior RL, does the bears really have the support of the coast? I don't think they will be competitive for a while & I think they will lose the interest of the locals very quickly. Stick to bringing games up to the coast, so the locals can cheer on there team. Note, it sounds like we are going back to 20 team comp again?

They have the full support of the Central Coast Districts Rugby League, CRL, all the junior clubs on the Central Coast, NSDRL and schools inbetween.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts