What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coaster

Bench
Because people love negativity. They like to impose themselves on a core that has been working it's arse off. They prefer to destroy rather than rebuild. They prefer to use arguements that have little impact. They prefer to naysay on others whom have put in the hardyards.
TBH That sounds like a lot of Bears tragics toward the Titans

Goddo

Bench
But which model?!!!! Which franchise bid? No-one in QLD seems able to settle on a model, so how on earth can an IC have confidence in choosing one? The IC won't take a risk on that decision if they take a risk on Perth and the long term investment required there. You're right, reason will prevail - Central Coast Bears.

Do you really think that if Brisbane II/Ipswich isn't ready they will rush forward with the Bears? Serious question.

I think if it came to Perth ticking all the boxes, and the only other bid being ready were the Bears they would delay expansion until a better location was ready.

The fact that there is so many options in Queensland simply shows the support for the game up there, and that there is currently a derth of Qld based NRL clubs.

EDIT

Also, lol at the Bears talking about cutie to get publicity. It wasn't that long ago all you Bears fans were deriding other Bids, most notably Brisbane II, because they had the audacity of talking about signing players.

Media stunt you all cried.

And now that you are doing it, I asume you think its proof positive that the Bears are superior and a shoe in because they are now talking about players?
FFS give up.

Last edited:
Reason will win out. The IC won't be swayed by emotion. The will make the decision in the best interests of CURRENT NRL CLUBS and the game as a whole. It will use expansion to "plug gaps" in the game.

10 years from now, it might be Wellington, Sunshine Coast, Central Coast or Adelaide. But right now, its Perth and Brisbane...

Perth are a must - they have a stadium, huge population, TV rights value, lots of potential sponsors to advertise into the Eastern States, and a new broadcast timeslot. 4th largest city in Australia, but one of 2 AFL cities ( the other is Melbourne) that the NRL needs to go "National". No brainer.

South Brisbane/Ipswich/Logan is a must - huge and growing population, much of it a RL audience, yet we only have as many teams as AFL. It would provide another team with local content (which rates highly in Qld) for free and pay TV, and would be an avenue for corporate support and sponsors in Brissy that don't/can't follow the Broncos. 2 of the top 5 most attended sides are SE Queensland sides. South Brisbane/Ipswich/Logan is also a geographic area that is complimentary to the (Red Hill) Broncos and (Robina) Titans, with a lower-middle class demographic.

If expansion is to "plug gaps", then that suites the Central Coast Bears just fine. That is one of the biggest gaps in the NRL at the moment and has been for over a decade. As big of a gap as Brisbane is, at the end of the day they have a team that already represents that city. They're crowds this year haven't been an idication that Brisbane is screaming for another team. Matter of fact all sports in S.E.QLD are down on numbers.

Until we actually see some sort of a community push a'la Central Coast/Perth, then I simply don't see where there is an urgent need for a new franchise in Brisbane and/or SE.QLD at this point of time. There is no consumer demand for it where it actually counts, Brisbane itself.

Also it's not in the best interests of Broncos or the Titans (especially if a new franchise is to be based where a decent sized percentage of their fans currently live.. South Side Brisbane/South Logan, outskirts of Ipswich..)

Sponsors in Brisbane are fickle at best, Brisbane Broncos-Lions-Reds barely have any Brisbane-based companies as sponsors anyways. A new NRL team isn't gonna change that, especially if 3 well established current teams can't do it already.

TBH That sounds like a lot of Bears tragics toward the Titans

Never met a Bears tragic who rued the Titans.. most actually see the benefit of the Gold Coast in the NRL. There's a few QLD based Bears supporters that regularly attend Titans games.. Where did you grab this one from?

bobmar28

Bench
But which model?!!!! Which franchise bid? No-one in QLD seems able to settle on a model, so how on earth can an IC have confidence in choosing one? The IC won't take a risk on that decision if they take a risk on Perth and the long term investment required there. You're right, reason will prevail - Central Coast Bears.

It doesn't matter. QLD must have another team.

EDIT

Also, lol at the Bears talking about cutie to get publicity. It wasn't that long ago all you Bears fans were deriding other Bids, most notably Brisbane II, because they had the audacity of talking about signing players.

Media stunt you all cried.

And now that you are doing it, I asume you think its proof positive that the Bears are superior and a shoe in because they are now talking about players?
FFS give up.

Bit of a difference here. Brisbane 2 randomly threw names into a hat and had the media all around whilst it picked them out. The Central Coast Bears are ready to make a potential play @ Hunt (not now but in the near future) since the funds are there to do so. If you read the rest of the article, daisy is more concerned about bringing in home grown talent anyways. Hunt is just for marquee value and seasoned experience, a'la Titans with Presto/Prince/Rogers in their first season.

Goddo

Bench
Never met a Bears tragic who rued the Titans.. most actually see the benefit of the Gold Coast in the NRL. There's a few QLD based Bears supporters that regularly attend Titans games.. Where did you grab this one from?

But will YOU rue the Second Brisbane side?

Particularily after your pathetic little stunt dressing the Wally Lewis statue up at the BNE II launch... that made YOU look like you were scared.

It doesn't matter. QLD must have another team.

Yes it does. Otherwise you are blindly putting in a team without doing the proper demographic study. If a team is in Ipswich, do they travel 50kms to play in a stadium in another city? If a team is suppose to be Brisbane, do you put them another 50kms away in Redcliffe or 35kms away in Redlands (which aren't Brisbane). If a team is South Brisbane, do you put them in Logan (which again isn't Brisbane and already has a large Titans support hub?).

Why not just put a team in Recliffe, call it Redcliffe Dolphins and be done with it? Like wise with Ipswich (which by the way has 2 bids... Jets & Brothers, so the resources from a small town is already divided when it should be united..) or Brisbane (based in Brisbane for greater Brisbane).

Goddo

Bench
Bit of a difference here. Brisbane 2 randomly threw names into a hat and had the media all around whilst it picked them out. The Central Coast Bears are ready to make a potential play @ Hunt (not now but in the near future) since the funds are there to do so. If you read the rest of the article, daisy is more concerned about bringing in home grown talent anyways. Hunt is just for marquee value and seasoned experience, a'la Titans with Presto/Prince/Rogers in their first season.

More semantics from the North Sydney fan living in Brisbane.

Neither club has a licence, any talk of players is purely speculative to gain media attention.

This particular daily Terror article has the holy trifecta for internet hits:
NRL vs AFL
Expansion
High profile player

Goddo

Bench
If expansion is to "plug gaps", then that suites the Central Coast Bears just fine. That is one of the biggest gaps in the NRL at the moment and has been for over a decade. As big of a gap as Brisbane is, at the end of the day they have a team that already represents that city. They're crowds this year haven't been an idication that Brisbane is screaming for another team. Matter of fact all sports in S.E.QLD are down on numbers.

Until we actually see some sort of a community push a'la Central Coast/Perth, then I simply don't see where there is an urgent need for a new franchise in Brisbane and/or SE.QLD at this point of time. There is no consumer demand for it where it actually counts, Brisbane itself.

Also it's not in the best interests of Broncos or the Titans (especially if a new franchise is to be based where a decent sized percentage of their fans currently live.. South Side Brisbane/South Logan, outskirts of Ipswich..)

Sponsors in Brisbane are fickle at best, Brisbane Broncos-Lions-Reds barely have any Brisbane-based companies as sponsors anyways. A new NRL team isn't gonna change that, especially if 3 well established current teams can't do it already.

:lol:
The "Central Coast" hole is sufficiently plugged by the current 10 sides within 100kms (70 as the crow flies).

They already take 5-6 games to Gosford every year. With 1-2 of the Bears games to be played at NS Oval, how is 4-5 more games on the CC going to make that big a difference?

Sure, there is a space for a club in the CC- North Sydney area, but in case you haven't noticed, there are clubs just to the North and South of here, some of which are struggling. THEY DON'T WANT ANOTHER CLUB THERE. It will eat into their sponsorship/fans/publicity/bottom line.

DO you think an Independent Commission, whos core mandate is to protect the current clubs and grow the game, will plonk another side that will only ever be plodders there instead of a high growth team like Brisbane?

Wait, don't answer, I know how deluded and obsessed you are with North Sydney. Clearly, thats why you want to live so close.

adamkungl

Immortal
Stop pretending you know what the IC are going to do Goddo. Wouldn't want to end up with egg on your face...

Particularily after your pathetic little stunt dressing the Wally Lewis statue up at the BNE II launch... that made YOU look like you were scared.

Mate, I'm a local of Brisbane. I vote in Brisbane, live in Brisbane and have spent most of my life in Brisbane. I don't rue anything Brisbane, I just rue half assed attempts. The locals aren't dumb and they can see through the Craig Davison bid like the glass house which it is. Simply put they don't care enough for another Brisbane team to warrant one at the moment.

To put it in perspective, WA.Reds have more fans in a non-RL state than Brisbane 2 do in an RL state..

Why do you think after months now they only have 422 Facebook fans? Not that FB is an indication for level of support but im just saying. It's not like this bid is "new" anymore. Where is the push into the community, matter of fact where is their community specific? I'm a local and I don't even know.

The "Central Coast" hole is sufficiently plugged by the current 10 sides within 100kms (70 as the crow flies).

They already take 5-6 games to Gosford every year. With 1-2 of the Bears games to be played at NS Oval, how is 4-5 more games on the CC going to make that big a difference?

Sure, there is a space for a club in the CC- North Sydney area, but in case you haven't noticed, there are clubs just to the North and South of here, some of which are struggling. THEY DON'T WANT ANOTHER CLUB THERE. It will eat into their sponsorship/fans/publicity/bottom line.

DO you think an Independent Commission, whos core mandate is to protect the current clubs and grow the game, will plonk another side that will only ever be plodders there instead of a high growth team like Brisbane?

Wait, don't answer, I know how deluded and obsessed you are with North Sydney. Clearly, thats why you want to live so close.

High growth team like Brisbane? I'm sorry but besides the Broncos, where is the evidence that a new Brisbane team will have high growth? You need actual fans for that, people who will turn up to games, buy merchandise and memberships for that to occur. Thats all done through community work..

The Central Coast hole isn't plugged at all. The 10 or so teams are servicing "their" area's not the CC.

You can take a million games there and it wouldn't change the fact that the community wants it's own team. And that the Central Coast Bears bid will provide that.

applesauce

Bench
Why do you think after months now they only have 422 Facebook fans? Not that FB is an indication for level of support but im just saying. It's not like this bid is "new" anymore. Where is the push into the community, matter of fact where is their community specific? I'm a local and I don't even know.

You do realise, that the FB page was made AFTER Facebook took away the "Suggest to Friends" button...

Wait till the teams has a mascot and colours (within the next 2-4weeks voting will be completed).

And if FB bring back the suggest to friends i can see that number growing, considering just myself got 150+ppl to join up both the CCBEARS bid page and the WAREDS bid page (Perth Red can attest)....

BDGS

Bench

To be fair, that "Second Brisbane side" is not a side or a team in the NRL, they are a bid and therefore in direct opposition of other bids like the Central Coast Bid, the Gold Coast Titans RLFC is not in opposition of the Central Coast Bears.

Fun fact: the Gold Coast Titans RLFC are again another SEQ team.

More semantics from the North Sydney fan living in Brisbane.

What the hell does this count for anything?

Get your facts right, there is currently 2-3 games on the Central Coast every year.

BDGS

Bench
You do realise, that the FB page was made AFTER Facebook took away the "Suggest to Friends" button...

Wait till the teams has a mascot and colours (within the next 2-4weeks voting will be completed).

And if FB bring back the suggest to friends i can see that number growing, considering just myself got 150+ppl to join up both the CCBEARS bid page and the WAREDS bid page (Perth Red can attest)....

use the share function, works just as well.

Just to refresh again..

The NEXT Central Coast Bears membership drives are on @

SATURDAY 16TH APRIL
EVENT: Lake Haven Shopping Centre Membership Drive
TIME : From 9am outside Newcastle Permanent

SATURDAY 16TH APRIL
EVENT: Westfield Hornsby Membership Drive
TIME : From 9am on the overpass

ALSO later that evening... Sydney Roosters vs. Brisbane Broncos..on Saturday 16th April @ 7:30PM Bluetongue Stadium, Gosford.
nrl-r6sydbri.jpg

Beowulf

Juniors

It doesn't matter how many km's Gosford is from other grounds, its how many fans can get to games easily - due to public transport, Central Coast fans CAN'T GET TO ANY SYDNEY GROUNDS INSIDE 2 HOURS by public transport...

The only Club in Sydney whinging about the Bears is Manly, but due to the cultural divide between these teams, sponsors inclined to support the Bears wouldn't touch Manly, and vice-versa. Same for fans - its Bears or nothing for the north shore....most watch Swans and Waratahs games now and would only watch NRL if the Bears were back.

Publicity through local rivalry will help Manly, not hinder it. And please don't say Newcastle are struggling!

And what makes you think the CC will be plodders - the Mariners shows you the CC punch above their weight due to community unity. Combine that with the corporate and merchandising clout of a Foundation team and you have a surefire success, especially with world-class facilities to be built at Mt Penang, a popular coach, and fantastic living conditions at Avoca, Terrigal etc...players will want to play for the CC Bears.

Quidgybo

Bench
How about road distance?
It doesn't matter.

50km vs 80km by road, 70km vs 100km by road. It still pales against the 348km that a fan in Mackay has to travel to get to a Cowboys game. That's a long bloody trip each way, especially with night games it means either driving four hours in the dark on two lane unlit undivided highway or staying overnight at a hotel in Townsville.

It's not as far as the 644km Wellington fans would have to drive to see the Warriors. Or the 2163km fans in Auckland would have to fly to have a choice of teams (no road here). The 3420km for Perth fans could be driven but you can cut 700km off that by flying.

Brisbane fans who don't like the Broncos could travel the 83km to see the Titans, otherwise it's 784km to Newcastle. Rockhampton gets the Broncos for 646km or the Cowboys for 721km. Which brings us full circle.

Fans in any of these areas would kill for as much access and as much choice as the Central Coast has for top tier Rugby League.

Leigh

Last edited:

t-ba

Post Whore
A second Brisbane side based out of Lang Park doesn't make it any easier for them to get to games however.

Plus, having lived in Brisbane and in Sydney, I can tell you right now that getting from the outlying areas to Brisbane is faster and easier than it is in Sydney...Try the Redcliffe Broadbeach Drive and the Gosford-SFS drive to see what I mean...

Hell, Brookie is 'close', enjoy driving down half the Suburban Roads in the North Shore to get there,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts