What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beowulf

Juniors
Good on you RBB for posting not only the positives but also the setbacks. Hope that you can replace your major sponsor soon.

Thanks for the comment AlwaysGreen.

I think its fair to say the NRL would be cautious if the Bears put forward a bid at this particular moment for review with the currently proposed private ownership model/financial arrangements in place, unless Mortgage House's issues are resolved to everyone's satisfaction ASAP.

Don't forget, the model hadn't been put to members as the Board have been discussing over the past 3 months the pro's and con's of going with Ken's model before releasing a final submission model. That length of discussion time might suggest they have alternatives in mind. They certainly aren't giving anything away to me as a volunteer, which is quite right.

Perhaps a broader risk-aversion strategy is the way to go to increase the bids attraction to the NRL (my personal opinion only).....who knows....we'll find out soon enough anyway!

There really are five options:
1. Mortgage House extract themselves from their current issue and the current arrangements remain in place
2. Morgage House remain as sponsors but in a reduced role (no private ownership model) and other sponsors are announced.
3. Morgage House pull out as sponsors and another private investor/s take over Ken's offer.
4. Morgage House pull out as sponsors, other sponsors are announced and the private ownership model is abandoned.
5. Mortage House pull out as sponsors and no other sponsors are found.

There is obviously no change with option 1
2,3.4 are positives depending on the calibre/size of any new sponsor/owner arrangements
5 would be a damaging result for the CC Bears chances

I think its fair to say the next few weeks are a huge opportunity for the Bears, should Mortgage House be forced to walk away or reduce their commitment level, to demonstrate to the NRL that they can readily source finance and sponsorships and have strong appeal to the corporate sector.

If they can, it enhances the bids prospects. If they can't, it reduces their prospects.

Beowulf

Juniors
^

But the money would be with SE Queensland and Perth (not trying to flame anyone)

No flame burns, but for what It's worth, the last and only time a bookies quote was mentioned in the media (late Jan) the Bears were clear favourites for expansion.

On the Roast today, MG, Gould and Vossy were all bullish re the Bears, while Terry Kennedy (QLDer) was opposed....splitting on State lines. The only way to keep all happy is CC, a QLD team and a WA team!

Last edited:

Beowulf

Juniors
I'll hold you to that, haha. Any plans of developments on Bluetongue? Would love to see you guys being able to average 20K-25K and be another powerhouse club.

yes, there are plans to extend the stadium at the station end. piers were sunk at stadium construction and its a relatively cheap and easy (2 month job) to go up one level and add 3.5-4K, making capacity around 24K.

My guess is they'd wait a couple of seasons to build the bank balance then renovate as the Bear family grows, as we all do!

Goddo

Bench
No flame burns, but for what It's worth, the last and only time a bookies quote was mentioned in the media (late Jan) the Bears were clear favourites for expansion.

On the Roast today, MG, Gould and Vossy were all bullish re the Bears, while Terry Kennedy (QLDer) was opposed....splitting on State lines. The only way to keep all happy is CC, a QLD team and a WA team!

I'd agree, but it means bye bye sharkies... and I didn't mean by "money" bookies odds, I ment TV value.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Last odds I saw had Brisbane2 Faves, then Reds, then Bears, then CQ

If Bears lose Mortgage House and can stlll get a major $1mill+ sponsor a year up before submission then they will be showing the level of financial support out there for them. Reds have, allegedly, got a $1.5mill a year sponsor on the table plus another $4mill lined up, I haven't seen any of the other bids publicaly state that they have any major sponsorships on board.

Goddo

Bench
^ There has been a lot of talk from Bris II about having an "insurance company" and a few others lined up, but absolutely no details... I wonder if that is either

a. a stratergy, not releasing details until necissary, keeping rivals in the dark
b. sponsors are waiting until a licence is awarded before confirming sponsorship
c. all smoke and no fire.

probably a combination of all 3.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Possibly, I have heard from the Reds the same. they do not want to announce anything until bid is succesful. The companies involved won't sign anything until they know they are backing a guaranteed NRL team. Also given the behaviour of some NRL clubs in approaching WA companies I suspect the WARL are keeping it close to their chest for good reason.

Last odds I saw had Brisbane2 Faves, then Reds, then Bears, then CQ

If Bears lose Mortgage House and can stlll get a major $1mill+ sponsor a year up before submission then they will be showing the level of financial support out there for them. Reds have, allegedly, got a $1.5mill a year sponsor on the table plus another $4mill lined up, I haven't seen any of the other bids publicaly state that they have any major sponsorships on board.

The Central Coast Bears have come out and stated that Mortage House, Fortunity, Sinalli, Norths Leagues and JJ Lawson are major sponsors. Money is being pumped into the bid already, this isn't an on the table deal either. It was finalized and put into action 2 or so years ago.

The Central Coast Bears have more sponsors-in-waiting from the large corporate sector of the North Shore. Not only for after a license is given but are ready to jump on board now once everything unravels.

The already established $15 million equity is the important part.

I don't believe those bookies, it doesn't include Ipswich/Western Corridor whom are ahead of Central QLD in many areas.

Last edited:

clarency

Juniors
Could we just cut the BS with bookies... if there's no legitimate betting involved then I believe they would have no more credibility than any one of us.

applesauce

Bench
^ There has been a lot of talk from Bris II about having an "insurance company" and a few others lined up, but absolutely no details... I wonder if that is either

a. a stratergy, not releasing details until necissary, keeping rivals in the dark
b. sponsors are waiting until a licence is awarded before confirming sponsorship
c. all smoke and no fire.

probably a combination of all 3.

They are using the publicity the announcement of the name will bring to give the sponsors more air-time and ride on the news in Brisbane longer plus give an identity for the sponsors to associate with.

The next Central Coast Bears membership drives are @

SATURDAY 14th MAY
EVENT: Erina Fair Membership Drive
TIME: From 9am

EVENT: Lake Haven Shopping Centre
TIME: From 9am

SUNDAY 15th MAY
EVENT: North Sydney Bears vs. Wentworthville
TIME & VENUE: From 3pm at North Sydney Oval

bluetongue_main_left.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do you know which agency and the odds (sorry, just had to ask!!!)?

TAb Sportsbet, it said they had been asked to give indicative odds. sorry it was a table in the WA Sunday Times in the last article on the reds, I haven't got the paper anymore and it wasn't produced in the online article. I suspect when the announcement is made for bids then then it may well be possible to bet on the bids.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I see no reason why the Bears won't get similiar to other teams playing out of regional grounds. Prob 17-18k avg year one, 15k bad years, 17k good years. Some decent home derbies with the crowds boosted by travelling fans will see a couple of sell outs a year I would suggest.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
TK on the Sunday Roast brought up a very important point about expansion and TV rights. He raised quite a legitimate question of the value in expanding to the Central Coast, when it provides little extra incentive to broadcasters. Considering the TV rights deal is, and will continue to be, our most important source of income, it's quite a valid point. I'm all for a team on the Central Coast, but I'm wondering whether an expansion to the Coast is a good option?

Jankuloski

Juniors
Well.. would you really need new people to increase the viewership? Let's say that people in Central Coast are casual fans, not particularly affiliated with any team. They would tune in to maybe two games a month. If you convert them to Bears fans, they would watch every game, thereby increasing the ratings.

However, it might not be like that at all. Nothing a proper marketing research can't fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.