What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

docbrown

Coach
Oztam capital city ratings also play a part. Not sure how big a part.

Parts of the Central Coast are actually covered by Oztam including Gosford.

I'd say the Bears Bid group would have already completed a television audience survey with projections on what boost they might generate to overall ratings.

Beowulf

Juniors
Well.. would you really need new people to increase the viewership? Let's say that people in Central Coast are casual fans, not particularly affiliated with any team. They would tune in to maybe two games a month. If you convert them to Bears fans, they would watch every game, thereby increasing the ratings.

However, it might not be like that at all. Nothing a proper marketing research can't fix.

Exactly, and more to the point, reconnecting with northern Sydney will add their potential RL following market of affluents into the mix - a prime TV sponsors market.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Exactly, and more to the point, reconnecting with northern Sydney will add their potential RL following market of affluents into the mix - a prime TV sponsors market.

There is that. But then I think to myself there is a far bigger audience available outside of the Central Coast. Perth, Brisbane 2 or Central Queensland for example. Hypothetically, is the Central Coast worth losing say, a hundred million dollars from a TV deal?

BunniesMan

Immortal
There is that. But then I think to myself there is a far bigger audience available outside of the Central Coast. Perth, Brisbane 2 or Central Queensland for example. Hypothetically, is the Central Coast worth losing say, a hundred million dollars from a TV deal?
IF that was the case, that would be a good point. But the difference between the Bears and the 2nd most valuable of the other contenders is nowhere near a hundred million. Wouldn't be a fraction of that.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
IF that was the case, that would be a good point. But the difference between the Bears and the 2nd most valuable of the other contenders is nowhere near a hundred million. Wouldn't be a fraction of that.

Oh I agree. I'm just hoping the NRL sits down and makes the right decision and looks at everything. Hoping for miracles....

Quidgybo

Bench
I wouldn't mind betting it's worth more than $10m per year though. More so when comparing the television value of a Central Coast team to a fourth Queensland based side. The television networks still struggle to pull together enough quality matches involving Queensland sides each week to maximize their ratings (and thus our worth), especially if one or more of the existing three teams is having a bad year (eg. Cowboys last few years, Broncos and Cowboys last year, Titans this year). An extra Queensland side gives them a greater chance of having a choice of quality matches involving Queensland teams. Unfortunately for the Central Coast bid, there is no similar struggle to find quality matches involving Sydney and NSW teams to screen each week. This is simply something the bid will have to overcome to get selected anyway.

Leigh

docbrown

Coach
I wouldn't mind betting it's worth more than $10m per year though. More so when comparing the television value of a Central Coast team to a fourth Queensland based side. The television networks still struggle to pull together enough quality matches involving Queensland sides each week to maximize their ratings (and thus our worth), especially if one or more of the existing three teams is having a bad year (eg. Cowboys last few years, Broncos and Cowboys last year, Titans this year). An extra Queensland side gives them a greater chance of having a choice of quality matches involving Queensland teams. Unfortunately for the Central Coast bid, there is no similar struggle to find quality matches involving Sydney and NSW teams to screen each week. This is simply something the bid will have to overcome to get selected anyway.

Leigh

I agree. I think any Brisbane side's main advantage is that it allows for another Queensland team that can be featured on F2A twice a week.

The Central Coast Bear's main advantages are that they're a team in the same vein as St George-Illawarra or Wests Tigers i.e. that they can cover the Central Coast plus reengage North Sydney and by virtue of their proximity can automatically boost support at any of their away NSW matches which will increase overall crowds.

Each bid has their own distinct and unique advantages and in my opinion they're all worthy. The only thing is that some might require more time develop then others. But I mean if it were actually feasible both financially and talent-wise and all the bids were ready, I wouldn't mind seeing WA, Brisbane and Central Coast all gain entry even if it meant a 19 team competition.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
I agree. I think any Brisbane side's main advantage is that it allows for another Queensland team that can be featured on F2A twice a week.

The Central Coast Bear's main advantages are that they're a team in the same vein as St George-Illawarra or Wests Tigers i.e. that they can cover the Central Coast plus reengage North Sydney and by virtue of their proximity can automatically boost support at any of their away NSW matches which will increase overall crowds.

Each bid has their own distinct and unique advantages and in my opinion they're all worthy. The only thing is that some might require more time develop then others. But I mean if it were actually feasible both financially and talent-wise and all the bids were ready, I wouldn't mind seeing WA, Brisbane and Central Coast all gain entry even if it meant a 19 team competition.

There is no reason in my mind that if two, three or even four bids are all of equal or similar standing, that we can't increase beyond the two suggested.

docbrown

Coach
Agree with all this - staggered entry over 5-6 years, but all bids accepted that make 'the grade'.

Yes. And in that scenario even the bids that did come in later at least they'd have the knowledge that they were working towards a real and viable outcome.

Any other bid that doesn't make the cut can't simply be told 'No thanks'. The NRL/IC needs to explain why 'no' at this present time and then help prepare a future pathway for them.

Goddo

Bench
There are consequences of expanding that fast - tallent pool gets diluted, because quality is less viewers might drop off (even though there is more product it is worth less per game), weaker clubs fall further behind, congestion would still be a problem in Sydney...

The NRL really needs to work out what it wants to do based on long term objectives for the game, and then follow a plan, then put out to tender licences in specific locations as required.

This floating along indecisively then admitting clubs ad hoc isn't stable or good. We need a game plan for growth. Where is Gabba, he is full of game plans...

duylm

Juniors

Hey docbrown,

I've been wanting to ask you for abit, you've previously detailed the potential benefits of a second Brisbane / another QLD team for tv rights. In particular, being able to show QLD teams twice on FTA every weekend. But if this were the case, then why wouldn’t channel 9 scramble to select a QLD team for the the Sunday afternoon TV game at every opportunity? Instead RND 7 was the first time a QLD team made an appearance on channel 9 Sunday, and even then, the ratings in Brisbane were not that exceptional, 158,000, which was not as good as several other Sundays this year with 2 non-QLD teams yet more people in Brisbane watched those games in most cases. This weeks game was 168,000 in Brisbane.

And in these weeks QLD teams played on Saturday nights, sometimes 2X, which are the leftover games after 9 and fox have got at it for FTA & the Monday games respectively. (I believe fox puts its #1 pick game on Mondays?)

Wouldn’t channel 9 be making the most commercial decisions possible every round?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd suggest if there was two Sunday games (like there are 2 Friday games) then Ch9 would always want one game featuring a Q'land team. As it is there is just one and they know the NSW audience is bigger so they usually go for NSW teams.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
If we had a half decent second tier we could bring them in slowly. But my approach would be to have a two pool group system and add teams in twos. The pools would be Sydney teams in one and out of Sydney in the other. The finals would be almost the same as now.

Or four pools of 4 originally and add 1 to each to get 20 teams by 2013.

docbrown

Coach
Hey docbrown,

I've been wanting to ask you for abit, you've previously detailed the potential benefits of a second Brisbane / another QLD team for tv rights. In particular, being able to show QLD teams twice on FTA every weekend. But if this were the case, then why wouldn’t channel 9 scramble to select a QLD team for the the Sunday afternoon TV game at every opportunity? Instead RND 7 was the first time a QLD team made an appearance on channel 9 Sunday, and even then, the ratings in Brisbane were not that exceptional, 158,000, which was not as good as several other Sundays this year with 2 non-QLD teams yet more people in Brisbane watched those games in most cases. This weeks game was 168,000 in Brisbane.

And in these weeks QLD teams played on Saturday nights, sometimes 2X, which are the leftover games after 9 and fox have got at it for FTA & the Monday games respectively. (I believe fox puts its #1 pick game on Mondays?)

Wouldn’t channel 9 be making the most commercial decisions possible every round?

There's really three parts to this answer.

1. 9 always tries to have a Friday Queensland game so they can boost the audiences into both states. This uses up one of their picks automatically. Then they either pick the other game for Friday or Sunday, usually Friday and usually a Sydney orientated game.

Then when Foxtel take their turns, they too are also conscious of maintaining their Queensland base (especially through their Austar association) so they tend to take the next Queensland game in their next set of picks. By the time 9 get their next allotment there's usually one Queensland game left and it's the worst out of the 3 so they tend to schedule a game (usually NSW based simply because of the number of teams) with teams that they think will be higher on the table in 5 weeks time. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong.

2. The Round 7 game you were referring to - Parra vs Gold Coast - was hardly anything to write home about (an example of getting it wrong...).

Queensland teams rarely feature on a Sunday for the reason I gave above, but even if you discount the Broncos games, North Qld & Titans on the rare occassions they've played have been able to pull 200,000+ in Brisbane on a Sunday as recently as 2009. A 4th Queensland team actually based within the metro area could be expected to do likewise.

3. Having a Queensland team every Friday & every Sunday under the current platform of 3 games would have an effect on Sunday Sydney audiences and it's actually not what I'm suggesting at all. At the moment they're getting better numbers out of the NSW game then they are if they had the lowest ranking Queensland team every Sunday.

What my suggestion specifically revolves around is follow-through audiences - just like Friday nights. By having 4 games a week - with two live games back to back on a Sunday - you get 4 sets of club fans plus general league fans watching both games - far more than what Sunday football currently rates - but across 2 games.

With a 4th Queensland team, you can then fairly distribute the F2A match allotments such that 2 Queensland teams can feature every week - one on a Friday & one on a Sunday. They don't have to be home games, they just need to feature.

And by doing this you can boost the Brisbane metro numbers from the current average of 150-160k to over 200k - but not just for one game but over both. No other bid could propose to achieve that kind of effect in a metro catchement, not to also forget the increase in Queensland regionals as well.

It's also why having 2 Sunday back to back games will boost audiences more than having a Monday or Saturday night stand alone game as the 4th F2A match.

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
Also, TV stations base their revenue on OzTam ratings usually rather than regionals, because they don't make as much money from regionals. This is why Melbourne and Peth are so important to the future of the NRL - even if they get crap ratings, they are still boosters to the total.

NRL is onsold to stations like WIN and NBN by 9, and as a consequence teams like Newcastle, Canberra and North Queensland just don't have the pulling power for 9, who want the best possible games to broadcast into Sydney and Brisbane.

Regionals are nice at bumping up ratings, but aren't worth as much to the free to air rights holder, 9. its a different situation with Pay TV, where they simply want as many bums on seats as possible (so NSW vs Qld matches are highest valued).

We currently have 9 teams in Sydney metro area, and 2 in Brisbane metro area. And there are only 6 free to air game slots per week currently, and demand from PayTV for NSW vs Qld club matches.

Hence, there is a lot of demand from broadcasters and value for the NRL in having more SE Queensland content.

But there is a bit of conflict of interest - if there were a 4th Qld side, that game would most likely be on free to air, not pay TV. News Ltd who own the Courier Mail, half own Foxsports, half own the NRL and 67% own the Broncos have a web of conflicting interests.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Also, TV stations base their revenue on OzTam ratings usually rather than regionals, because they don't make as much money from regionals. This is why Melbourne and Peth are so important to the future of the NRL - even if they get crap ratings, they are still boosters to the total.

Even ratings in Perth, Adelaide & Melbourne on a digital channel will be worth advertising dollars.

However the concept of regionals being meaningless is changing. Twenty, even ten years ago, yes that was the case. But if you see the advertising volumes in regional NSW & QLD, whilst you do see local content, the vast majority are national brands that sell their products right across those regions. This is a major reason why 7 & 10 are buying/merging with their regional affiliates. Northern NSW, Southern NSW & Regional QLD are developing major urbanised areas that can compete on a level even higher than WA & SA combined.

NRL is onsold to stations like WIN and NBN by 9, and as a consequence teams like Newcastle, Canberra and North Queensland just don't have the pulling power for 9, who want the best possible games to broadcast into Sydney and Brisbane.

Well see it's a very complicated arrangement with affiliates. CVC who own 9 entertainment actually own 100% of NBN so they would directly be interested in Northern NSW ratings. They also own half the Darwin affiliate. Then when you look at WIN, they actually own shares in Channel 10! Entertainment/media cross ownership is mindbogling at times.

But there is a bit of conflict of interest - if there were a 4th Qld side, that game would most likely be on free to air, not pay TV. News Ltd who own the Courier Mail, half own Foxsports, half own the NRL and 67% own the Broncos have a web of conflicting interests.

A beautiful example. ;-)

The next Central Coast Bears membership drives are @

SATURDAY 14th MAY
EVENT: Erina Fair Membership Drive
TIME: From 9am

EVENT: Lake Haven Shopping Centre
TIME: From 9am

SUNDAY 15th MAY
EVENT: North Sydney Bears vs. Wentworthville
TIME & VENUE: From 3pm at North Sydney Oval

More fundraising and charity initiatives... GO THE BEARS!!

Caged Bear Greg Florimo seeks bail out

28056f3be2dcdd72e00d5a0f5f149e1a_resized.jpg

Greg Florimo at Gosford Police Station in the cell behind bars is preparing to spend a night in jail to raise money for disadvantaged youth

CENTRAL Coast Bears chief executive officer Greg Florimo stands accused of loitering, sidling and snoring - and will have to make bail in a major fundraising exercise for disadvantaged youth tonight.

About 40 people will don overalls and be locked up overnight at a former juvenile detention centre at Haberfield.

The aim is to raise money for Whitelion, a not-for-profit community organisation which helps young people at risk to reach their full potential.

Greg “Shifty” Florimo has had his bail posted at $500 and although his Whitelion bail out profile says he is keen to take the chance to “get away from the missus for a night”, he is hoping Central Coast residents will come to his aid to help young folk.

“I have done a bit of work with disadvantaged youth and mentoring through the schools,” Florimo said. “It is something I am very interested in and when Whitelion said it was holding a lock-up fundraiser, I thought ‘why not’.”

Whitelion chief executive officer Mark Watt said the night would give the volunteers a chance to step into the shoes of young people who had been disconnected from the community due to abuse, neglect, drugs or poverty.

The inmates will be released tomorrow night by NSW Attorney-General Greg Smith.

To support Florimo’s fundraising effort go to whitelion.org.au and follow the bail out link to the inmates page.

http://express-advocate-wyong.whereilive.com.au/news/story/caged-bear-greg-florimo-seeks-bail-out/

Status
Not open for further replies.