What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmar28

Bench
All I mean is that as the majority of Bear memberships from outside NSW are coming from QLD, it shows we have more of a national profile particularly in RL heartland than other bidders, nothing more. it's only natural given the amount of QLDers who played for the Bears in the late 80's and 90's in particular, and the good relations built up through this mutually successful recruiting process. Its a massive reason the Bears rates so well during this period and is a big positive re TV regotiations. Surely that can't be denied?!

I doubt that, but time will tell.

Don't forget about today's Central Coast Bears membership drive @

SATURDAY 7th MAY
EVENT: North Sydney Bears vs. Manly Sea Eagles
TIME & VENUE: From 3pm @ North Sydney Oval

Red Bear

Referee
Wish I could get up there for that game, unfortunately soccer in the way this week, but i'll be there next Sunday!

Garts

Bench
Don't forget about today's Central Coast Bears membership drive @

SATURDAY 7th MAY
EVENT: North Sydney Bears vs. Manly Sea Eagles
TIME & VENUE: From 3pm @ North Sydney Oval

Just back from the game, good turnout of bears fans. We were absolutely flogged as well. Good to see some of the Bears tent who were selling merchandise and signing up members shouting all sorts of abuse towards Manly during the game, very professional :lol: Got to love league fans.

Beowulf

Juniors
Just back from the game, good turnout of bears fans. We were absolutely flogged as well. Good to see some of the Bears tent who were selling merchandise and signing up members shouting all sorts of abuse towards Manly during the game, very professional :lol: Got to love league fans.

I was on/near the booth most of the game and there wasn't any abuse being shouted, just cheering for the Bears and the normal banter against opposition that goes on at any game. I thought it was a very good natured crowd, all things considered.

Hope there are plenty more clashes to come in the future at NRL level, which is something most Manly fans we talked to today wished for.

Beowulf

Juniors
Wish I could get up there for that game, unfortunately soccer in the way this week, but i'll be there next Sunday!

You missed a great day 40-4 to the Bears, warm sunny day, hill half full and kids running around playing footy in Bears jerseys....great to see.

Beowulf

Juniors
How would you know that? It's almost 2 years from now.

I base it on CQLD and Ipswich saying they would prefer a 2014/2015 start. That info was publicly released last year and will be in appropriate threads. Based on the late arrival of Brisbane2 you'd have to say they'd be looking at 2014 at the very earliest also.

AFL franchises take 5 years to eventuate, which gives you an idea of the time required to do the job properly and build community support, establish offices, target staff, training facilities, market research, develop pricing policies, merchandise, sponsors etc etc.....you wouldn't want to be doing that PLUS recruiting Sep2011 onwards for a 2013 kick-off with a skeleton staff.

I know the Bears have, and I'm guessing the Reds are most of the way there, in completing most of the above (aside from recruitment obviously).

nko11

Juniors
What kinda crowds would we see with the bears?

First year?
Successful year?
Unsuccessful year?

Garts

Bench
I was on/near the booth most of the game and there wasn't any abuse being shouted, just cheering for the Bears and the normal banter against opposition that goes on at any game. I thought it was a very good natured crowd, all things considered.

Hope there are plenty more clashes to come in the future at NRL level, which is something most Manly fans we talked to today wished for.

It wasn't major, just a bit of shouting about Manly being scum. Just thought it was funny coming from someone manning the booth for members and merchandise. All good, I would love these derbies at NRL level.

What kinda crowds would we see with the bears?

First year?
Successful year?
Unsuccessful year?

Successful year, the stadium will be packed out almost every home game.
Unsuccessful year, the stadium will probably be 2-3k short of being packed out most games.

Give this region their team and they'll reward the NRL by showing up in numbers. With the steady rise of memberships being taken into account weekly, especially from the Central Coast, people are turning out in force without a team. Wait until they get one.

Beowulf said:
You missed a great day 40-4 to the Bears, warm sunny day, hill half full and kids running around playing footy in Bears jerseys....great to see.
Go the Bears!!

nko11

Juniors
Successful year, the stadium will be packed out almost every home game.
Unsuccessful year, the stadium will probably be 2-3k short of being packed out most games.

I'll hold you to that, haha. Any plans of developments on Bluetongue? Would love to see you guys being able to average 20K-25K and be another powerhouse club.

Scarves

Juniors
TV deal aside, expansion puts more money in the game so we can keep players from going to union, AFL and Super League.

2 more teams means $9million more money available for player wages in the comp. With the right recruitment choices (ie. focusing on overseas) 2 new teams should have a minimal effect on talent dilution.

Seriously? I was of the understanding that the NRL had plans (or hopes) to totally cover the Salary Cap with their grant by the end of the next TV deal. I was also of the understanding that the NRL's grant currently covered approx 3/4 of the total club salary cap payments. Since this is the case, 2 more teams would actually mean more cost to the NRL. If the NRL or whoever is running the game by then reaches their desire of completely covering the salary cap with their grant, and if the cap does rise to $5million per club as has been advised, that would mean an 18 team competition would cost the NRL $10million extra per season in players wages alone.

Our last expansion club the Gold Coast Titans recently asked for an advance on the NRL grant. Bearing this in mind, I'm not sure I get your drift regarding, "2 more teams means $9million more money available for player wages in the comp".

Regarding this part...

With the right recruitment choices (ie. focusing on overseas) 2 new teams should have a minimal effect on talent dilution...

What would you consider to be the wrong recruitment choices?

Again using our last expansion club as an example, I don't recall them focussing on overseas for recruitment. Most of their recruiting was done by targeting talent within the NRL save for 4 or 5 players in their 25 man NRL squad. In hindsight I believe they recruited quite well.

Two new expansion teams whether they are Perth, Brisbane, or the Bears (heck they may bring in all three) will need to find at least 50 players of NRL standard and then also field Toyota Cup squads. With respect, unless 30 of those 50 NRL squad players are sourced from the Euro Super League (and that is not a serious suggestion plus the NRL can't force clubs to recruit from overseas), my opinion, you're understating the effect it will have on the competition. The effect will be greater than minimal, especially considering the dearth of quality halves currently running around, and front row isn't strong across all clubs either.

A Perth team means we return to true national competition status, increases the reach and value of potential sponsorships.

I agree with this and I agree with the value of Perth and national sponsorships it could bring to the game if developed with strategy. My point on this however is that realistically we should wait on expansion until the finalised Independant Commission is in complete control of our game. The management structure of the NRL is currently in a state of flux. They've missed two deadlines already and are still squibbling about power and balance. News Ltd are still partly running the game yet 12 months ago they stated they wanted out, and the last TV rights deal was completely inadequate under the current disjointed administration. Considering all that, I don't feel warm and fuzzy rushing into expansion, especially into a strategic area like Perth, at least not until we have sorted the management of our game out first.

Goddo

Bench
^ you are forgetting that the NRL will have a 9th game to sell each week, which would correspond with an increase in braodcast rights value.

The big question is (using your numbers) wether the extra game will generate >$10M to cover the grants to these new clubs. If it does, expansion will definately happen.

If we expand in locations that improve the national reach and/or improve the balance of clubs between Brisbane and Sydney it will drive up the TV rights value the most.

Perth is a certainty in this light. For the second licence the ARLC will have to balance money against other factors, which may get the Bears over the line. There is a question of wether Perth may cost more than the $5M grant, but they have a good financial model from what I've heard, and won't be an asset and a burden on the comp like melbourne.

But the money would be with SE Queensland and Perth (not trying to flame anyone)

Sponsor's woes bad news for Bears

THE Central Coast Bears' bid for NRL inclusion has taken a blow following the likely loss of their major sponsor.

The Sun-Herald can reveal that major backer Mortgage House has less than three weeks to settle an ownership dispute to avoid the company being sold by a liquidator.
The development comes less than two years since the company agreed to tip $3 million into the Bears in their first three seasons in the NRL. Mortgage House managing director Ken Sayer subsequently promised to underwrite the franchise to the tune of $10 million, but that now appears highly unlikely.

Bears chief executive Greg Florimo said he was unaware of the case between Sayer and former business partner Zoltan Tomanovic, which was heard in the NSW Court of Appeal last week.
Tomanovic claimed that Sayer, the majority shareholder, failed to meet financial obligations under an alleged written agreement between the two men. Tomanovic wanted the company, one of Australia's largest home-loan broking networks, wound up so that he could be paid out his 45 per cent stake.

The court said it would not issue a wind-up order, but ordered that Sayer buy out shares owned by Tomanovic. Sayer and Tomanovic were given 21 days to come to an agreement about how the buy-out would proceed or the case would return to the court.

''I'm unaware of that particular scenario,'' Florimo said. ''We're still confident of having Mortgage House be a part of the Central Coast Bears. In saying that, it is a very popular property and there has been plenty of interest in the corporate sector.''

Mortgage House has a long association with rugby league, having sponsored teams including Parramatta, Melbourne and the Roosters. Sayer said he was looking forward to buying out Tomanovic's share and claimed that the company's sponsorship of the Bears would not be affected. ''The relationship with the Bears is unaffected, unaltered, unchanged,'' Sayer said yesterday. ''Absolutely zero effect.''

The Bears and half a dozen rival franchises are attempting to earn an NRL licence. Other contenders include a second Brisbane team, Central Queensland, Wellington Orcas, Western Reds, Ipswich Jets and Papua New Guinea. Some of the prospective teams are hopeful of an NRL berth as soon as 2013 but the continued delays to the formation of an independent commission have put their issue on the backburner.

Regardless of the outcome with Mortgage House, Florimo was confident the Bears would have the required corporate support to push for NRL inclusion. ''We're confident that we'll present a powerful and compelling case to the NRL,'' Florimo said.

''All the criteria we've set ourselves will be met, including a substantial capital and a sustainable business model.''

Despite not being a part of the competition, the Bears have a membership base of 6667, a figure almost as high as some NRL clubs. Over 60 per cent of those members are residents of the Central Coast. Other important steps in their bid include the establishment of an office headquarters on the coast, the appointment of David Fairleigh as inaugural coach and guaranteed access to Bluetongue Stadium.
''We're really engaging with the community here,'' Florimo said

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-for-bears-20110507-1ed6q.html#ixzz1LiGPxPNe

* funds have been already paid for the last 3 years as major sponsor and therefore has gone into equity
* this only affects the Central Coast Bears POST-NRL license, not bid stage (which Mortage House was only ever signed on as for 3 years, which ends at the end of this year anyway)
* the "Party-of-3" which I mentioned last week relate to this and are being courted for an overall better solution and stronger sponsorship
* the ownership model without Ken Sayer is definitely stronger overall than with him, though he states this doesn't affect the CCBears.

** I've known about this for about 1 and a half months now. I apologise for not mentioning it earlier.
** there is bigger news concerning sponsorships being announced soon. All the other sponsors are still pumping funds into the bid including Fortunity, JJ Lawson, Norths, Harvey Norman and Sinalli.
** it's all steam ahead for the Central Coast Bears NRL bid.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Juniors
It wasn't major, just a bit of shouting about Manly being scum. Just thought it was funny coming from someone manning the booth for members and merchandise. All good, I would love these derbies at NRL level.

Ah, I know who you mean! He's actually a Dad of one of the players who dropped his bag at the merchandise stand and had a chat before heading to the hill. He's got a good set of lungs - think everone in Nth Sydney heard him.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Good on you RBB for posting not only the positives but also the setbacks. Hope that you can replace your major sponsor soon.

Good on you RBB for posting not only the positives but also the setbacks. Hope that you can replace your major sponsor soon.

If it mentions the Central Coast Bears I'll post it. Being a community based bid we have to let our community know every turn of events. It's important to be honest and straight forward. But like I've said we are leaving no stone unturned. Apparently this won't affect the major sponsorship, however there are 6 companies whom have come to the CCBears team showing interest in taking over as major sponsor. Furthermore the party-of-3 will have the funds and power to seriously trump anything that Sayer was offering as far as ownership model is concerned.

Regardless though, money is in the bank and equity is building. This really only affects the bid post decision, not right now. I guess with a growing membership pool and supporter hub, it becomes very lucrative for a new company to jump on board due to small risk due to consumer demand already established.

It's all steam ahead for the Central Coast Bears.

Status
Not open for further replies.