What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears release new logo, aiming for 2012 inclusion

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Bears get logo, now for an NRL jersey
Adrian Proszenko | March 22, 2009

THIS is the first look at the new logo for the Central Coast Bears.

Designed by graphic artist Meegan Parkee, the motif is the latest development as the Bears ramp up their bid for admission into the NRL for the start of the 2012 season.

The logo was ratified at a Bears board meeting in the Harry McKinnon Room of North Sydney Leagues Club only on Friday, to which The Sun-Herald was invited.

The North Sydney Bears are trying to rejoin the league as a Central Coast side in Gosford and the new design incorporates the famous bear with the name of the region.

"We gave Meegan the brief that we wanted to come into a new era," said Bears bid committee chairman Perry Lopez.

"We wanted the Bears to continue with the logo that represented that we were fierce and competitive. And we also wanted young people to be able to engage with it.

"Whether you're an old Bears supporter or a new one, that's a logo you can fall in love with and be happy to wear."

The Bears, one of Australia's foundation rugby league clubs, were forced out of the NRL in 1999. They reappeared briefly as the Northern Eagles in an ill-fated joint-venture with Manly, although the latest developments have raised hopes of a permanent return on the Central Coast.

As with South Sydney and the Sea Eagles, the new venture will be looking to a private ownership model to ensure their financial future. The Bears are putting the finishing touches on their pitch document and will be ready to start approaching prospective backers within a fortnight. A shortlist of more than a dozen individuals and businesses has been drawn up.

Lopez did not want to disclose the identity of the parties he intended to approach but he confirmed that multi-millionaire businessman John Singleton would be one.

"The current economic climate makes it tougher, but we believe we have the right structure and model that will give potential owners a return on their investment," he said. "We want the people to understand that this is for them. We want the communities to know that this exercise is all about bringing rugby league back to the people.

"The people of the Central Coast and the North Shore don't have a team to follow. There's a million people in that corridor and we're losing them to AFL, rugby union and soccer. It's just crazy.

"We want to offer them the best possible scenario - a competitive side and an opportunity to go to the football with their family."

Bears officials claim the new venture would properly represent the people of the Central Coast and North Sydney, unlike the Northern Eagles. The plan is to play 10 of their home games at Bluetongue Stadium in Gosford, while the other two will be played at North Sydney Oval. Parramatta assistant coach David Fairleigh will be the inaugural coach if they are successful in their bid to return to the NRL.

When The Sun-Herald columnist Phil Gould called on league supporters for feedback on the game, many respondents called for the Bears to be brought back.

"We believe this is the best story to come out of rugby league in a long time," Lopez said.

"If the NRL grant a licence to the Central Coast, it would have to be the best thing to happen to league since South Sydney were readmitted into the league.

"There's a lot of negative talk about things that are happening, but this story is one that will bring people back to the game." A delegation of high-profile rugby league identities, headed by Newcastle legend Andrew Johns, have supported the bid. The Bears are also packing political clout in the form of Opposition shadow Treasurer Joe Hockey, the member for North Sydney, and Gosford Mayor Chris Holstein.

Bears chief executive Greg Florimo said he hoped the NRL would grant a licence to the Bears by the end of the season, with a view to joining the NRL in 2012.

"It seems to me that there is a genuine feeling in the community that this needs to happen," he said. "This is a commonsense step for the game to shore up a rugby league stronghold on the Central Coast."

Singleton's involvement in the bid - if any - is yet to be determined but at the very least the Bears would play in of his Bluetongue Stadium.

"Rugby league was the driving force behind the construction of Bluetongue Stadium," said the stadium's managing director, Monique Marks.

"That commitment across three levels of government was based on the well-founded passion that the Central Coast community has for rugby league."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/bears-get-logo-now-for-the-nrl/2009/03/21/1237526389790.html

centralcoastbears_narrowweb__300x320,0.jpg

Last edited:

The Seedman

Juniors
Thats a great news story,i for one hope they are allowed back into the comp and 2012 sounds like the year to do it.Another team could only help in getting the nrl the best possiable tv deal and that seems to me like thats going to be a huge issue in the next few years!

girvie

Staff member
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...tral-coast-team/2009/03/21/1237526389793.html

ANDREW JOHNS says the establishment of a team on the Central Coast is a matter of priority for the NRL.
The Newcastle legend is one of a number of rugby league identities to back the reintroduction of an NRL team at Gosford as the Central Coast Bears ramp up their bid to be the league's 17th franchise.
The Bears approached some of the game's biggest names - including Wayne Pearce, Peter Sterling, Wally Lewis and Brad Clyde - to lend their names to their cause. All agreed it was time to give the Central Coast a team.
"I consider the NSW Central Coast to be a strong rugby league heartland that must be nurtured and developed as part of the NRL's expansion policy," Pearce said in the document.
"The Central Coast needs its own team … a team that trains and plays in the region, that locals can feel 100 per cent connected to." Clyde said the North Sydney Bears were a team synonymous with the game itself. "The Bears' rebirth into the NRL competition is an exciting venture that links the old traditions with the new professionalism of sport and its managements," he wrote.
"[I have] no doubt that the NRL competition will be 'complete' once the newly formed Central Coast Bears are playing."
Lewis wrote that he was "in full support of the Bears on the Central Coast". Sterling, who lives there, added: "We need a team on the Central Coast. The Bears ring true to me."

A team on the Central coast has got to happen and the Bears are a perfect fit and something the locals will get behind , the drama is we then need an 18th team to have an even comp.

Azkatro

First Grade
A team on the Central coast has got to happen and the Bears are a perfect fit and something the locals will get behind , the drama is we then need an 18th team to have an even comp.
I'd prefer it if we got rid of someone else so it stayed at 16 ...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
No doubt we'll hear plenty of Tigpie & Illasox fans have a dig about mergers and such with the comp going to 17 or 18 teams.

Great news for the bears although the logo looks a little bit 80's. Good luck to them, I'll be right behind them here - this region is crying out for an NRL team. The Mariners are in the Champions League and not even cracking 10k.

barney gumble

Juniors
I like it and would love to see the Bears back in. A ready made supporter base in an area that has been screaming out for a league team with a great ground ready to go.
Seems like a no brainer to me.

Knightmare

Coach
Interesting, looks like they are going back to the 80's with that logo. I remember 20 years ago the only teams (out of 16) who DIDN'T have a circular logo were Wests, Easts, Newcastle, Souths, St George and Brisbane.

donkey|rope

Juniors
the logo is sh*t. seriously they need to revisit the 1908 logo and make the bear look more like a bear (rather than a wombat) and they'll have struck gold.

the best thing about south sydney is that they've embraced their history, rather than running from it for a cheap marketing ploy.

also sidebar - am I the only one that thinks that clubs and the nrl would be smarter to have two logos? 'modern' logo designed for the kiddies which would only be branded on kids sized jeresy and then have the 'classic' logo on adults and players jeresey. it would be a good money spinner as well.

Flapper

First Grade
The logo's a bit naff but I understand where they're coming from with it, you can't reference the past too much in it, we all know how well transplanting a team up there went the first time. Coasters need to feel like something is theirs, not just given to them from somewhere else, so I like the logo in that respect.

Now let them in and the Reds make 18 :D

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Pretty sure they already do that with the kids mascot thing.

mascot_group.jpg

bartman

Immortal
New logo for a new era. Good on 'em I say.

I hope this team gets the nod asap - so long as the game can afford it.

Though I'm not sure we're in a position to expand unless we get a much healthier broadcast contract for 2012 onwards, something player behaviour is jeopardising by the week.