What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beowulf

Juniors
Still waiting for the fact that the Bears were the second most watched team in the 90s. This seems to get brought up a lot by pro-bear nuts but has never been proven. Lies I suspect.

I've put the same answer in the Ipswich bid thread - the source is involved with the Bears, is 100% sure its correct and it was in the SMH and DT. I'm guessing Aug1999-end of 2000. Sorry I don't have a link to the article....not sure how to find it!

Beowulf

Juniors
:) Hate to say I told you so!

Gotta admit I was half expecting this today!

The Courier Mail was always going to approach him aggressively to force a retraction of sorts. The backpeddle wording was always going to be intriguing....
'not sure whether he had given the Bears such cause for optimism'

Of course he's sure - it was 2 weeks ago! Note there's no denial he said it. I reckon the Bears could have used much more positive words than just superior and advanced bid....

'Yes, the Bears have a stadium. But that is just one part of the equation. Central Queensland have been promised a stadium.'
That's right Graham - TV viewers, calibre and diversity of sponsorship, sustainability, merchandise potential, membership numbers, home & away crowds - the best elements of the Bears bid!

'expansion is not on the agenda at the moment'
Yeah right!

Anyway, we had our day in the sun yesterday. I know the Bears could not be in a better position, so I'm happy for anyone to throw stones today if it makes them feel better about life!

Last edited:
I've actually asked for the source quite a few times. Each time it has been ignored. I wait with bated breath.

yep....and i have been waiting for a link to the membership breakdowns for the last 2 days....red and black bear said in a post that the majority of the memberships were $80 memberships amd not the $10-$20 memberships, i would like to know where his info is coming from

still waiting

_MayMoo 2

Juniors
Whether the NRL said these favourable things or not. It was not smart to quote Annessley or anyone else for that matter. (unless permitted or instructed to)
The fact that he (GA) was contacted and backpeddled proves this.

We need the NRL on our side.

_MayMoo 2

Juniors
yep....and i have been waiting for a link to the membership breakdowns for the last 2 days....red and black bear said in a post that the majority of the memberships were $80 memberships amd not the $10-$20 memberships, i would like to know where his info is coming from

still waiting

Having trouble sleeping worrying about this?, poor jazzer.

Ther are over 5000 members, including 65+ foundation members that cost 5,500.00 each. The rest as far as I know are between 20 and 80 bucks a pop. I would be surprised if the majority are the 80.00 buck ones. TBH I wouldn't know though.

Even if the whole 5000.00 were 10 bucks a pop it would still be a monumental effort (but they are not)

And you and a few others would still be trying to denigrate the bid.

Face a few facts. The Bears have almost the same amount of fans as Manly. We cannot offer ticketed yet obviously, but no matter how you try and twist it, it is an amazing effort. No signs of it slowing either.

I read that Manly are now giving away FREE memberships to under 9's ??
Worried some ???? :)

Beowulf

Juniors

still waiting

Probably because you haven't said please.

If R&B Bear said it he's right - he'd know. tbh i think in recent months though, with the push to kids memberships, we're probably selling as many of the kids $10 packages as the $80 family or $20 1 year/$30 2 year memberships. No more freebie info - from now on we charge.

Beowulf

Juniors
Whether the NRL said these favourable things or not. It was not smart to quote Annessley or anyone else for that matter. (unless permitted or instructed to)
The fact that he (GA) was contacted and backpeddled proves this.

We need the NRL on our side.

Agree it would be silly to quote unless a) its 100% correct and b) the NRL have no problem with it.

Don't worry - the CC Bears aren't silly - that's all I can say.

PB

Bench
wow the quote says that you have the most advanced bid. Quick lets get excited.

Remember when the FFA thought they had a chance of winning the 2022 Soccer World Cup after everyone told them what a good bid they had put together and how many votes did they get... 1? ...

I don't think any bid applicants are ever going to be told "you have no chance", "your bid stinks", especially not in front of an areas local media when they are trying to get more people to support rugby league. They want to give everyone hope.

Some of you CC Bears peeps seem pretty defensive, and probably rightly so, there would people who have bashed your bid from the start and your obviously sick of the waiting etc.. Its not personal for me, i don't hate on the Central Coast for applying, in fact I suspect the NRL will probably let them in as persistance and peer pressure tends to work quite well on them. I just don't think it is progress for the National Rugby League, especially while there are so many teams in Sydney/NSW, just 1 in all of NZ, just 1 north of Brisbane and none in SA/WA/NT.

Beowulf

Juniors
Why is that?

I love a good conspiracy theory...

Is this a joke or serious request?

I'll presume you're serious. Because they have a mainly SEQ readership, some of whom might want a 2nd Brisbane side or at least a QLD side. Its not a consiracy theory, its what newspapers do - provide stories to interest their readers. Note there are 13 news stories on the CC Bears in the past 24 hours with only 1 negative......from the Courier Mail.

Most syndicated, I'll grant.

Beowulf

Juniors
Remember when the FFA thought they had a chance of winning the 2022 Soccer World Cup after everyone told them what a good bid they had put together and how many votes did they get... 1? ...

I don't think any bid applicants are ever going to be told "you have no chance", "your bid stinks", especially not in front of an areas local media when they are trying to get more people to support rugby league. They want to give everyone hope.

Some of you CC Bears peeps seem pretty defensive, and probably rightly so, there would people who have bashed your bid from the start and your obviously sick of the waiting etc.. Its not personal for me, i don't hate on the Central Coast for applying, in fact I suspect the NRL will probably let them in as persistance and peer pressure tends to work quite well on them. I just don't think it is progress for the National Rugby League, especially while there are so many teams in Sydney/NSW, just 1 in all of NZ, just 1 north of Brisbane and none in SA/WA/NT.

PB, fair post. I didn't want to put the bolded bit because coming from a Bears fan it could be too patronising at present. Coming from a neutral is fine. While I disagree with the too many teams in NSW bit (naturally!), the rest is probably true enough. The scars of the past 13 years of trauma may be showing on some of us! Me anyway!!!! Its easy for Ipswich fans - they're only a few days into a long, long journey.

Having said that, I actually don't sit comfortably with the 'puff piece' advertising strategy of saying your bid is the best. Although all the bids have done it, I honestly don't think the Bears need to go there.

The NRL would love it however - it generates a discussion point and its easy enough as you say to smooth the waters as Annesley did with a response, regardless of whether he approved the release of the comment or not. It's like a puppet show with the NRL pulling the strings.

bobmar28

Bench
Nobody but anti-bear fans seem to be ignoring the facts.

Facts? Like the fact that NSW has too many teams and is over saturated? Like the fact that QLD has too few teams and should get a fourth ahead of an 11th for NSW? Like the fact that another team in QLD would be more valuable to TV networks?

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
Is this a joke or serious request?

I'll presume you're serious. Because they have a mainly SEQ readership, some of whom might want a 2nd Brisbane side or at least a QLD side. Its not a consiracy theory, its what newspapers do - provide stories to interest their readers. Note there are 13 news stories on the CC Bears in the past 24 hours with only 1 negative......from the Courier Mail.

Most syndicated, I'll grant.

Is this the first time they have published a "negative" story about the Bears?

I find it intersting that a lot of guys got so excited about the story the day before that has no direct quotes from Annesley, but you are dismissing this one where he is directly quoted...

Beowulf

Juniors
Facts? Like the fact that NSW has too many teams and is over saturated? Like the fact that QLD has too few teams and should get fourth ahead of an 11th for NSW? Like the fact that another team in QLD would be more valuable to TV networks?

Like the fact that NSW has too many teams and is over saturated? Minority opinion, not fact.

Like the fact that QLD has too few teams and should get fourth ahead of an 11th for NSW? Minority opinion, not fact.

Like the fact that another team in QLD would be more valuable to TV networks? Minority opinion, not fact.

Beowulf

Juniors
Is this the first time they have published a "negative" story about the Bears?

I find it intersting that a lot of guys got so excited about the story the day before that has no direct quotes from Annesley, but you are dismissing this one where he is directly quoted...

As posted earlier by an objective commentator, Graham Annesley's responses were evasive so he could avoid answering the question without discouraging QLD bid supporters. Good practice for his political career!

But as I mentioned earlier, I don't particularly like the boasting press that all the bid teams are doing.

Beowulf

Juniors
With all due respect - how would you know?

Do you do consultancy work in this area?

Its too early to say which bid will attract the most TV audiences until the final bids are submitted to the NRL for review. At this stage its all opinion.

For example, a Jets team would have less appeal than a Crushers2 scenario, but there isn't a Crushers2 bid. So the NRL have to look at what bids they have on the table.

TV is important I agree, but there are other important criteria...like will the team be around in 20 years? How much merchandise appeal do they have? How diversified and financially stable are their sponsors/owners? how many members do they have? Do we have enough confidence in the setup that they can attain high membership numbers? What is the travel costs home/away for the team and its opponents? What are the crowds going to be for the team at home and away?

Status
Not open for further replies.