What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Its too early to say which bid will attract the most TV audiences until the final bids are submitted to the NRL for review. At this stage its all opinion.

For example, a Jets team would have less appeal than a Crushers2 scenario, but there isn't a Crushers2 bid. So the NRL have to look at what bids they have on the table.

TV is important I agree, but there are other important criteria...like will the team be around in 20 years? How much merchandise appeal do they have? How diversified and financially stable are their sponsors/owners? how many members do they have? Do we have enough confidence in the setup that they can attain high membership numbers? What is the travel costs home/away for the team and its opponents? What are the crowds going to be for the team at home and away?

Gee I dont give Perth much chance then on the last 3 questions you have asked...

Why is the AFL expanding to Sydney & SEQ and not to Tasmania?

The short answer is that they think they can get more TV money out of it...

Look what another team in SEQ does for TV in RL's second biggest market...it effectively means that one of Brisbane, Titans, SEQ 3 can be shown live into that market every Friday night

Lets be honest, CC will be rarely shown on Friday night into FTA Sydney...

Channel 9 likes to show combinations of Eels, Dragons, Tigers , Bulldogs and probably now Souffs...

BDGS

Bench
:) Hate to say I told you so!

"But there are no frontrunners because expansion is not on the agenda at the moment."

What a load of bullsh*t.

This is nothing more then backing up and giving those other bids hope. I would think the NRL didn't expect the Bears to go to the media with what was said.

Facts? Like the fact that NSW has too many teams and is over saturated? Like the fact that QLD has too few teams and should get a fourth ahead of an 11th for NSW? Like the fact that another team in QLD would be more valuable to TV networks?

For the fifth time on this particular point alone.

That is your opinion and not fact. If you have proof then go ahead but i better not see a math equation.

If an area the size of the Central Coast/North Shore has not got one team, then that area needs a team. I don't even think about in terms of binary, 1 being NSW teams and ) being non-NSW teams obviously.

Soon?

You are making it sound like a decision is happening tomorrow and not in 8 months time...

If somebody said i was going to have a panic attack soon, 8 months classifies as soon to me.

dgsfan

Juniors
So where's the source that says the Bears were the second most watched team in the 90s? Ready to retract that statement yet? lol

docbrown

Coach
Like the fact that another team in QLD would be more valuable to TV networks? Minority opinion, not fact.

I'm pro-Bears but this can actually be statistically proven.

Combined Sydney & Brisbane metro numbers jump by 50,000 to 100,000 (plus another 100,000 regional) when QLD teams feature. QLD'ers appear to watch any of their 3 (or potentially in future 4) teams in big numbers.

Featuring a QLD team every Friday double header & every Sunday double header (so 2 out 8 of F2A teams) makes good sense.

BDGS

Bench
So where's the source that says the Bears were the second most watched team in the 90s? Ready to retract that statement yet? lol

I've put the same answer in the Ipswich bid thread - the source is involved with the Bears, is 100% sure its correct and it was in the SMH and DT. I'm guessing Aug1999-end of 2000. Sorry I don't have a link to the article....not sure how to find it!

There is your answer, and before you say anything. It is very hard to find links to stories that old, links become deleted after periods of time on most newspaper sites after a few months (let alone 12 years ago) unless the paper deems the story status as very important to the nation. Very few sports article make the cut.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Gee I dont give Perth much chance then on the last 3 questions you have asked...

we might struggle on the away support (!) but we will do ok with the rest. Travel costs makes me laugh, we have a WA water polo team, a netball team, a hockey team, a baseball team etc etc who can all afford to play in a National comp yet some seem to think that the 2nd richest comp in the country is going to be reluctant to pay travel costs for WA!

If what I have heard about the TV value report is even remotely true WA is a shoe in on that value to the NRL alone.

dgsfan

Juniors
I'm pro-Bears but this can actually be statistically proven.

Combined Sydney & Brisbane metro numbers jump by 50,000 to 100,000 (plus another 100,000 regional) when QLD teams feature. QLD'ers appear to watch any of their 3 (or potentially in future 4) teams in big numbers.

Featuring a QLD team every Friday double header & every Sunday double header (so 2 out 8 of F2A teams) makes good sense.

Logical sense, finally. Hopefully pro bear nuts understand it.

dgsfan

Juniors
There is your answer, and before you say anything. It is very hard to find links to stories that old, links become deleted after periods of time on most newspaper sites after a few months (let alone 12 years ago) unless the paper deems the story status as very important to the nation. Very few sports article make the cut.

You've now taken stupidity to a new low. Unsubstantiated hear-say is now taken as fact to you? You have no claim to ask for sources now. Free range everybody. Go nuts!

BuffaloRules

Coach
we might struggle on the away support (!) but we will do ok with the rest. Travel costs makes me laugh, we have a WA water polo team, a netball team, a hockey team, a baseball team etc etc who can all afford to play in a National comp yet some seem to think that the 2nd richest comp in the country is going to be reluctant to pay travel costs for WA!

If what I have heard about the TV value report is even remotely true WA is a shoe in on that value to the NRL alone.

I agree with everthing you say...

I dont know if you read all the comments on the matter, but Im the one trying to make the point that the whole decision on expansion will be about TV money...

Perhaps you should have quoted the bloke that actually bought up travel costs in the first place...

Beowulf

Juniors

Why is the AFL expanding to Sydney & SEQ and not to Tasmania?

The short answer is that they think they can get more TV money out of it...

Look what another team in SEQ does for TV in RL's second biggest market...it effectively means that one of Brisbane, Titans, SEQ 3 can be shown live into that market every Friday night

Lets be honest, CC will be rarely shown on Friday night into FTA Sydney...

Channel 9 likes to show combinations of Eels, Dragons, Tigers , Bulldogs and probably now Souffs...

Obviously its different for heartland bids where TV is not the main consideration as the population is mainly watching TV games already (ie Central Coast and CQLD - I won't consider Ipswich as the NRL obviously don't either). So on all criteria, Bears trump CQLD obviously, and WA as the 'new territory' has a primary concern with TV beamed back to the East Coast, so the other criteria are less important.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Obviously its different for heartland bids where TV is not the main consideration as the population is mainly watching TV games already (ie Central Coast and CQLD - I won't consider Ipswich as the NRL obviously don't either). So on all criteria, Bears trump CQLD obviously, and WA as the 'new territory' has a primary concern with TV beamed back to the East Coast, so the other criteria are less important.

Those goal posts are going to get heavy over the next 8 months....:lol:

Oh well.. its settled then...

Should we close the thread?

Beowulf

Juniors
Soon?

You are making it sound like a decision is happening tomorrow and not in 8 months time...

Barring a disaster in TV negotiations it's already happened IMO, otherwise they would have shut the Bears and Reds membership and merchandise drives down. Instead, they are encouraging them to go as hard as they can.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Barring a disaster in TV negotiations it's already happened IMO, otherwise they would have shut the Bears and Reds membership and merchandise drives down. Instead, they are encouraging them to go as hard as they can.

So who has made the decision?

Beowulf

Juniors
Logical sense, finally. Hopefully pro bear nuts understand it.

I understand perfectly. If a solid, grassroots team is created that can trump the Bears in all areas of criteria then it should get in ahead of the Bears. Unfortunately for you, there isn't a bid out there for NRL consideration that could have a chance for at least 4-5 years. The timing for 2018 for a Brisbane side is perfect. I'm sure most Bears fans would agree.

Beowulf

Juniors

I actually spent a couple of hours searching an archive funtion for the publications but no luck....just a whole lot of stories on the construction disasters at Gosford and problems bears v manly...gggrrrr was turning the blood cold!

Doug2234

First Grade
otherwise they would have shut the Bears and Reds membership and merchandise drives down..

This is bully tactics by the Bears being pushed in the face of the NRL and an absolute joke...

"Look at us NRL, all these people have bought merchandise and memberships. So now you have to let us in the comp or all these people will feel ripped off.. "

FFS disgrace..

Status
Not open for further replies.